Do you believe in Karma?
yes 54%  54%  [ 21 ]
no 46%  46%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 39

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 7:18 am

I believe in Karma amd reincarnation, many Buddhist beliefs!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 11:02 am

To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Now THAT is Karma.

ruveyn

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 2:23 am

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

No, That is a law of physics which further exploration and experimentation has found variances to.

Karma is as subtle and complex as the entire discipline of physics, it's contemplation should lead to compassionate actions.

Why not answer the question instead of using it to promote your eye for an eye nonsense?

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 2:38 am

this might be related to karma- anybody here ever hear of richard w. wetherill and his book "Right is Might"? it is an elaboration of a "self-enforcing natural law" mr. wetherill is said to have identified, which states that people are required to think, say, and do what is proper in order to get a proper result, and that the reason people have personal problems or trouble, is that something is wrong with their thinking, conversation, and behavior.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 2:48 am

RedHanrahan wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

No, That is a law of physics which further exploration and experimentation has found variances to.
j

Momentum is still conserved even 300 years after Newton.

I should have made myself more clear. There are certain symmetries and balances in nature which intrude even into the so-called free will choices that people make. All of our actions have consequences whether we like them or not. Now THAT is Karma.

ruveyn

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Sep 2010, 9:39 pm

I believed in reincarnation in my last two lifetimes... but not any more.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 10:14 am

I dont believe in Karma.

I think it was made up by a bunch of people who were pissed off and bitter at a bunch of other people and wanted to invent some silly concept to feel better about themselves. At least this is how my friends tend to approach this. They believe in Karma on the basis that they're unpopular and are thus bound to get rewarded someday and have the popular kids from school suffer.

Everywhere I go, I see people use Karma as a concept to put down other people or to as a quick fix to their problems. I've had a lot of people hurt me. I doubt an act of Karma is gonna get them to come and apologize to me or repair the wrongs they inflicted on me since Karma is more of a unexpected circumstance that people won't see the connection to. Alot of the people who hurt me are considered naturally good people in the NT world but I'm an exception to the rule as far as treatment goes. They believe that hurting me should be my Karma for being unintentionally rude to them.

And then there's people who think they're doing good in order to get a quick reward. In other words, Karma is just a phrase people are using to their own advantage. No one else's.

Unfortunately the world doesn't work like that. Just because the concept of Karma has been good to you doesn't mean it has been for others who are supposedly good. And besides, do you really want to know if your suffering is due to a wrong action you've committed...or maybe one your parents committed...or praying to the wrong religion? Do I really wanna know if just having AS is an act of bad Karma unto itself? Do I really want to see other people suffer even if they have hurt or wronged me? My answer to all of that is no. I'm too bitter about all the hurt in my life to even give a s**t whether or not my enemies will ever get punished because I don't ever see them ever coming to the realization that they hurt me or will ever have the slightest remorse about it. I'm sure I've been pretty much forgotten on my enemies' radars which is a good thing I suppose.

I accept the world as it is. No force or circumstance is rewarding or punishing you for your actions. In the end you are the judge and sometimes you will feel happy, sad, mad, or you will feel nothing at all in any given situation. That is just how it goes.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

14 Apr 2011, 10:04 pm

Nope.
I have a real problem understanding what a three year old does that warrants being sold to grown men to "cure" their AIDS,
or dogs who are trained to rip each other apart for entertainment,
or people who suffer in agony because they can't afford healthcare.

It's kind of disturbing there are people who believe that the immense suffering in this world is somehow deserved.

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 1:03 am

Bethie wrote:
Nope.
I have a real problem understanding what a three year old does that warrants being sold to grown men to "cure" their AIDS,

It's kind of disturbing there are people who believe that the immense suffering in this world is somehow deserved.

Agreed, not only that but the fact that people with power have gotten away with horrible things they have done, that puts the belief in karma in the trash.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 1:06 am

I believe in cause and effect, but I'm a Deist. I do not believe there is some cosmic force doling out karma.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 1:49 am

Karma is what you believe it to be. If you do good, and you feel good about it, then that feeling is perceived as karma. If you did something bad, and feel guilty.. that's the word to describe the negative vibes you feel by your actions, as negative karma to your consciousness.

Karma- the good or bad emanations felt to be generated by someone or something.

flaude
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Apr 2011, 6:00 am

your karma just ran over my dogma.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 6:04 am

stevesilberman wrote:
Sorry, but your understanding of the Buddhist concept of karma is completely inaccurate, so you're arguing with a mistaken notion, rather than with what Buddhists really believe.

In Buddhism, karma means cause and effect. It's not an extra tax on bad behavior imposed by a "god." (Most Buddhists don't believe in gods in that way).

The Buddhist conception of karma is pretty simple, really. If you act in nasty and destructive ways, you'll have a nastier and more destroyed life. If you're mean, people will be mean back, even if you don't always recognize it at the time; if you lie and steal, you'll live in a constant state of fear of being caught. If you think less of other people, you'll think less of yourself. If you exploit other people, you'll have a harder time having respect for yourself.

It's not a big mystery -- very sensible really.

Thanks, saves me some writing. :lol:

I'm agnostic on rebirth and karma going beyond lives.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 7:37 pm

I accept actions have consequences, and that burning down orphanages and stealing from friends will make people do bad things to you. Altruism is reciprocal.

I do not believe in a God imposing bad things on bad people, simply because that's not what happens. There is no Cosmic Justice.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 9:12 am

flaude wrote:
your karma just ran over my dogma.

:)
whether or not it actually exists, the prudent thing would be to try to behave as though it did.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 10:24 pm

Bethie wrote:
Nope.

Suffering is not deserved, Karma is a principle that understands that actions have consequences, that if you do harm it may harm you, or it may not - it may lead the offended party to harm another who then harms another and so on, making the world in which you live a less compassionate place, a more dangerous place, this may lead you to behave more selfishly and do more harm, or it may lead to you discovering compassion and minimising harm in an effort to make the world a less dangerous place etc... this is karma, the relationships of actions and the contemplation of the interconnectedness of all things.

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!