Aspergers - NT says "Fake whiny white people disease?&q

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

foreveryoung
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2010, 6:46 pm

That's what an NT told me. Said that you either have autism or you don't, and aspergers is just for whiny white people who are outcasts but want to feel important so they give themselves a label. Is there any truth to this?

lightening020
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 6:54 pm

who knows? Maybe it is. Maybe we are all just weak people.

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 6:56 pm

HHmm. Lets see. Should I believe the uneducated opinion of a know it all kid? Or should I believe a world wide network of highly educated medical professions? I'm going to go with the world wide network of highly educated medical professionals.
That wasn't too tough of a decision.

And anyways. If you have aspergers you are autistic.

applefacebaby
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Aug 2010, 6:56 pm

:roll: just ignore those people; aspergers is a real disorder
that a lot of people have to deal with.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Aug 2010, 7:01 pm

Asperger's is a very real thing. I don't know what to say here except it is a type of autism, and it is real. It is not made up. And besides, Hans Asperger was a leading expert in autism---and he was studying children that have the syndrome that bears his name today. He saw it as real. It is real.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Aug 2010, 7:04 pm

foreveryoung wrote:
That's what an NT told me. Said that you either have autism or you don't, and aspergers is just for whiny white people who are outcasts but want to feel important so they give themselves a label. Is there any truth to this?

Maybe he or she was projecting their own crap. Ignore it.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 7:04 pm

Fake whiny white people disease?
Where I'm from, they call it emo.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 7:11 pm

It just goes back to the "I've suffered more than you!" thing. Just like anything else, most people don't understand the reality of such things unless they have it themselves. Which is why some people are foolish enough to tell people with depression to "Snap out of it", people with Anxiety to "Calm down", etc... and act pissed when their expectations fail.

I mean, if they actually knew what it felt like to be an Aspie, then it wouldn't be like that.

Technically, would could easily disprove it since there are non-white people with AS, happy Aspies who don't whine, etc... and... Asperger's isn't a disease...

Anyways, NTs in my area likely haven't ever heard of "Asperger's". I don't even recall our AP Psychology class mentioning "Autism", let along "Asperger's".

Last edited by Dnuos on 30 Aug 2010, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 7:14 pm

I rarely tell anybody I have aspergers and if I gripe its only to myself or to you all. I'm sure many of you are the same. I intend to live my life to the fullest and I'm also passionate and unusual when many people just want to be run of the mill and blend in. He can go f**k himself.

Last edited by Shadwell on 30 Aug 2010, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 7:18 pm

_Square_Peg_ wrote:
Fake whiny white people disease?
Where I'm from, they call it emo.

Yeah, its certainly no stranger than cutting off circulation to your heads via tight jeans, running on a tread mill, or jogging, or whatever else weirdness considered legit weirdness.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 7:20 pm

foreveryoung wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWyCCJ6B2WE&feature=related[/youtube]

Dang! We've been exposed!

AGAIN! :roll:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 7:36 pm

Sounds like he might've seen (or has) an young autistic kid, and saw them wiggle the fingers in front of their face or head-bang a couple of times or maybe they're non-verbal, and he got all freaked out and decided that his freaked-out-ness made him an authority on pervasive developmental disorders.

"Like, that kid was messed up man! I'm telling you that's the real sh*t man, like wow. He'll be like that forever, man..."

And, of course, he knows much less than he thinks, i.e. 80% of autistic kids end up speaking by their teen years. Or that it's not uncommon for very autistic looking kids grow up to be not-so-autistic looking grown ups. (There was a thread here in the last few days; a mother a bit shocked at how her very autistic young child had become a very "high functioning" adolescent.)

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 7:40 pm

This is the same kind of thing people say about depression and ADHD. If it doesn't fit in with their personal experience they think it has no validity.

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2010, 7:42 pm

It is for certain the real deal. The differences between us and regular people go right to the core. Just ask someone to try and "fake" this for even 24 hours. The anxiety might cause a heart attack for those not used to it. They would appreciate our problems a whole lot more. i guarentee it.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 7:49 pm

ScottyN wrote:
Just ask someone to try and "fake" this for even 24 hours.

Now, there's a creative response. Challenge everyone who thinks it's fake to go ahead and fake it, then try convincing anyone, professional or on the spectrum, they really have it. Beauty!

Great point. This CANNOT be faked. Not for long anyway.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

foreveryoung
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2010, 7:54 pm

This is a lot of the reason (other than the fact that I don't like socializing in general) that I stopped even trying in life altogether. NTs are living a completely different life. It really is like we're a different species than them (and that's not a bad thing) that's more of a slam on them. So when people tell me to man up and try some job that I'm going to hate and not be able to handle anyway, I say "For what?" I want no part of the outside world unless it involves sex with a cute woman.