Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 12:00 am

That seems overly simplistic.

If someone puts all their effort into making excellent eye contact, but it prevents then from understanding 80% of what's said to them, are they doing the right thing?

If someone's health is being ruined by the stress of controlling every "weird" muscle twitch, by compensating measures to make their speech, mannerisms, gait, and more look "normal," is that a good thing?

I think some of the younger folks need to be careful about thinking they've got the problem solved so easily and so permanently.

There are burnt-out older folks (and some not so old) here who had to find out the hard way that covering problems with brute-force can lead to serious damage and loss of functionality. Some people may have to contend with that earlier than others. Yes, some people may be lazy, but you can't always know that from their circumstances or by how much they complain. Outcome is not always a simple function of effort.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 2:58 am

babybuggy32 wrote:
i have a new theory and feel free to comment either way but i kinda realized that there are really 2 types of aspies... those who understand they have a disorder and do as much as possible to acheive a normal life, and aspies who give in to their disorder and don't even try, the ones who blame all nts for all their woes and issues. i get along swimmingly with the first type but the second type not so much.

really though accept you have difficulties and get through it. i did not end up being borderline nt by giving in to defeat. i sucked it up improved my social skills and now i live an almost normal life (i say almost because i do still live at home :oops: )

i guess my question is do people close to you realize you have AS? nobody in my life does and when i tell them they say "oh stop don't make fun of them" i guess i do appear pretty normal but what are your thoughts?

That's rubbish, you forget the third and best type; those who accept their AS then concentrate on using the good parts to make a good life for themselves.

Pretending to be an NT isn't a good life at all. In the words of Steve Jobs, "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 7:41 am

babybuggy32 wrote:
i have a new theory and feel free to comment either way but i kinda realized that there are really 2 types of aspies... those who understand they have a disorder and do as much as possible to acheive a normal life, and aspies who give in to their disorder and don't even try, the ones who blame all nts for all their woes and issues. i get along swimmingly with the first type but the second type not so much.

You know, these categories exist for everyone who has a handicap and even for those who do not because we all have difficulties and some can cope better with them than others. It depends on your personnality and on your own acheivements.