If a conservative says something, it must be....

Page 2 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 6:27 am

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
There is a Far right Republican state senator in Louisiana who has suggested that poor people on welfare be paid to be sterilized. He claims Democrats oppose his plan only because the poor are their constituents. I have not heard a single Republican or conservative voice raised against his dehumanization of the poor.

Are you treating a non-act as an act? Is one morally obligated to object publicly to a proposal that YOU don't happen to like?

ruveyn

Words are dangerous when they are used to dehumanize any person or group. This previously mentioned state senator has the right to say what ever he wants. But being that his words are so ugly, particularly when aimed at the disenfranchised and poverty stricken, that I would have expected those of his party who might actually practice the values they preach to speak up against him.
Ugly language tends to turn into ugly actions when those who should speak up remain silent.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 6:32 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Words are dangerous when they are used to dehumanize any person or group. This previously mentioned state senator has the right to say what ever he wants. But being that his words are so ugly, particularly when aimed at the disenfranchised and poverty stricken, that I would have expected those of his party who might actually practice the values they preach to speak up against him.
Ugly language tends to turn into ugly actions when those who should speak up remain silent.

No one is morally obliged to say a word. Your use of the word "should" is in error. People will object to what they object to, approve of what they approve and keep silent otherwise. Your expectations have no substance or weight in determining the actions of others. Who are YOU? Who am I? Who is anyone? Have you died, gone to heaven and become the Lord of Creation"

ruveyn

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 9:36 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Ugly language by one lone politician is unlikely to turn into ugly action.

In any case, I don't see how paying people on welfare to get sterilized is worse than paying them to pump out kids. Nor how either one, bad though they may be, is actually dehumanizing. Nor how this one state senator could raise significant support for his idea.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 10:31 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
There is a Far right Republican state senator in Louisiana who has suggested that poor people on welfare be paid to be sterilized. He claims Democrats oppose his plan only because the poor are their constituents. I have not heard a single Republican or conservative voice raised against his dehumanization of the poor.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

I have.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 10:50 am

I think that all the unemployed should be compulsorily drafted into the military, and BTW, I am unemployed. Oh, and remove Asperger's as being called a "disability", because it isn't.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 10:55 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I think that all the unemployed should be compulsorily drafted into the military, and BTW, I am unemployed. Oh, and remove Asperger's as being called a "disability", because it isn't.

Really? Including the temporarily unemployed who just recently lost their job and are in the process of finding a new one? Including women and older men? What do you plan to do with this massive military force? The military is not productive, it does not provide any benefit whatsoever once we have reached the baseline necessary for security. If everyone should be rounded up and drafted into the military, why not rounded up and assigned to public works projects, which would actually be of some benefit?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:01 am

Orwell wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Really? Including the temporarily unemployed who just recently lost their job and are in the process of finding a new one? Including women and older men? What do you plan to do with this massive military force? The military is not productive, it does not provide any benefit whatsoever once we have reached the baseline necessary for security. If everyone should be rounded up and drafted into the military, why not rounded up and assigned to public works projects, which would actually be of some benefit?

Why of course, I'm an evil conservative Republican. Draft everyone from ages 0 to 959! As for the military not being productive, bullocks! Lets go upon raiding parties!! ! :twisted: :ninja: :rambo: :pirat:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:04 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Why of course, I'm an evil conservative Republican. Draft everyone from ages 0 to 959! As for the military not being productive, bullocks! Lets go upon raiding parties!! ! :twisted: :ninja: :rambo: :pirat:

Panda, is that you? Shouldn't you be off trolling the "Conservatives" thread?

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:07 am

I would be pissed if I was automatically drafted just because I'm unemployed. So would my husband. Who would take care of our children while he was at work?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:08 am

Dox47 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

No, I'm not Panda. I'm just giving people what they already believe but in a modified ludicrous fashion which may hopefully show how blind they are if they start to finally realize that the rhetoric which they have been indoctrinated about 'evil conservatives' is exaggerated at best and fabricated at worst.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:08 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I would be pissed if I was automatically drafted just because I'm unemployed. So would my husband. Who would take care of our children while he was at work?

"It takes a village to raise a child" - Billary Clinton.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:16 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

The village does a poor job when the mother is not there to guide and direct.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:28 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

The village does a poor job when the mother is not there to guide and direct.

Parents should be the ones raising their own children, not the community. Since you seem to not have noticed, my comment about compulsory drafting of the unemployed was intended to be farcical, rather than serious.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:32 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Why of course, I'm an evil conservative Republican.

Yes you are!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:41 am

greenblue wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Why of course, I'm an evil conservative Republican.

Yes you are!

Argh, ye landlubber, walk the plank or feed the crocs with your marrow! :pirat:

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:42 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

No, I'm not Panda. I'm just giving people what they already believe but in a modified ludicrous fashion which may hopefully show how blind they are if they start to finally realize that the rhetoric which they have been indoctrinated about 'evil conservatives' is exaggerated at best and fabricated at worst.

The problem is that it is rather difficult to tell far-right viewpoints from parodies of the far right, especially when the parody comes from someone who already is far right.