If a conservative says something, it must be....

Page 5 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

01 Sep 2010, 8:01 pm

greenblue wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I think when Mars is finally able to be colonized en masse, that there ought to be several colonies set up, each attempting a different economic system.

You are watching too much Star Trek :P


We don't need Warp Drive to get to Mars. Even now it would only take a few months to travel there, with current technology.



TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jul 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 28,982
Location: California

01 Sep 2010, 8:20 pm

OP, did you ever stop to think it's your attitude that keeps people from taking you seriously and not your political leanings?


_________________
Still looking for that blue jean baby queen, prettiest girl I've ever seen.


greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,896
Location: Home

01 Sep 2010, 8:22 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
We don't need Warp Drive to get to Mars. Even now it would only take a few months to travel there, with current technology.

I mean the economy.


_________________
?Everything is perfect in the universe - even your desire to improve it.?


Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Mar 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,903

01 Sep 2010, 8:30 pm

Orwell wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I like Marxism, but not to the extent that it has existed in Europe. Some good ideas in Marx's manifesto, but it needs a lot of modification I think. Perhaps I'm more open to Marxism since I hate Wal-Mart, and to an extent the mistreatment of workers on capitalistic grounds. However, capitalism actually works. Marxism hasn't yet. (Unless China is to be considered an example of it(?) )

China's not even close to Marxist. And Marxism is ridiculous in several different ways.

If you're opposed to Wal-Mart's labor practices, or more generally to mistreatment of workers under laissez-faire capitalism, social democracy is probably the best route to addressing that problem. Still capitalist, still market-driven, but with certain protections for people on the lower rungs.


Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that Communism was the name for the positive replacement for capitalism whereas Marxism (or, at least "small-m marxism") was more the negative, analytical system whereby Marx critiqued capitalism.

From my perspective, as bad as Marx's positive reccomendations were, I still think certain "small m-marxist" ideas are useful when it comes to social analysis - namely, the notion that a society's economics effects its higher-level "superstructure" (legal and political system). I'm not a Communist or an advocate of coordinationism, but there is much to like in small-m marxism's analytical side.



iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

02 Sep 2010, 6:41 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
OP, did you ever stop to think it's your attitude that keeps people from taking you seriously and not your political leanings?


In what manner? That I rapidly shift from being cheerful and manic to being angry and depressed?



iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

02 Sep 2010, 6:43 am

greenblue wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
We don't need Warp Drive to get to Mars. Even now it would only take a few months to travel there, with current technology.

I mean the economy.

The economy gets worse and better depending upon the time of day. It wont always be so crappy.



TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jul 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 28,982
Location: California

02 Sep 2010, 10:38 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
OP, did you ever stop to think it's your attitude that keeps people from taking you seriously and not your political leanings?


In what manner? That I rapidly shift from being cheerful and manic to being angry and depressed?


No. I mean your wild assumptions and over exaggerations.


_________________
Still looking for that blue jean baby queen, prettiest girl I've ever seen.


iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

02 Sep 2010, 1:24 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
OP, did you ever stop to think it's your attitude that keeps people from taking you seriously and not your political leanings?


In what manner? That I rapidly shift from being cheerful and manic to being angry and depressed?


No. I mean your wild assumptions and over exaggerations.


But such is all part of the game of debating politics. All of it is ludicrous, or ridiculous, depending on how you look at it. From all sides there are people making statements about this or that, and from all sides another is demonizing the other for their views.



TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jul 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 28,982
Location: California

02 Sep 2010, 1:29 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

But such is all part of the game of debating politics. All of it is ludicrous, or ridiculous, depending on how you look at it. From all sides there are people making statements about this or that, and from all sides another is demonizing the other for their views.


If you don't like debating politics, then why are you?

There is a middle ground in politics. Just because the loudest are nuts, doesn't mean you should follow their example. Level headed opinions backed by facts go a long way in getting your point across.

If you want to be taken seriously, don't be ridiculous.


_________________
Still looking for that blue jean baby queen, prettiest girl I've ever seen.


iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

02 Sep 2010, 1:46 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

But such is all part of the game of debating politics. All of it is ludicrous, or ridiculous, depending on how you look at it. From all sides there are people making statements about this or that, and from all sides another is demonizing the other for their views.


If you don't like debating politics, then why are you?

There is a middle ground in politics. Just because the loudest are nuts, doesn't mean you should follow their example. Level headed opinions backed by facts go a long way in getting your point across.

If you want to be taken seriously, don't be ridiculous.


I do like debating politics, its a great stress relief to watch people get so worked up over nothing and waste minutes of their time replying with great fervor about the simplest of things.

Facts in politics! Inconceivable!

I'm not being ridiculous, I'm trying to be ludicrous. To the millet farm wit' ye!