You would deserve a gf only if/You would only get a gf if...

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 6:46 pm

Moog wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
off-topic: are you buddhist, can i ask? buddhist people seem to come across calmer online.

In real life we are all crazy.
hah!

rowingineden
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Sep 2010, 6:57 pm

Mark198423 wrote:
rowingineden wrote:
When men complain about not being able to get a woman, I just roll my eyes. There are way more straight women out there for them than their are queer woman out there for me, but I still manage somehow to get women tripping over themselves for me. I'm not especially attractive or anything. Asperger's can actually help you here if you use it right - I go up to a woman and tell her exactly what I'm thinking, and I get points for being direct and clear. But then, what I'm thinking is usually something complimentary to her, because my personality is somewhat poetically inclined.

Having worked in the gay community for a while I observed how things happened there in terms of dating and found it quite different. Most there find it much easier to find a mate than most straight people I've ever met so I don't really see this as valid!

Well, I guess it depends on how one looks at it. Queer women consider their options so limited, that their standards tend to be quite low, but straight men are surrounded by women and can generally assume most of those women are straight, but they have higher standards and a lot more competition. (Also this would be affected by geographic location; I'm in a very conservative area so most queer women are very closeted/ashamed and thus not easy to ask out/date.)

EDIT: Okay, now I really badly want to do a research project on this.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 7:10 pm

rowingineden wrote:
Well, I guess it depends on how one looks at it. Queer women consider their options so limited, that their standards tend to be quite low, but straight men are surrounded by women and can generally assume most of those women are straight, but they have higher standards and a lot more competition. (Also this would be affected by geographic location; I'm in a very conservative area so most queer women are very closeted/ashamed and thus not easy to ask out/date.)

Your right about location I suppose, I was working in a gay bar in a gay area. Your idea on standards may have some truth too - from what I've seen in that same area anyway!

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 7:54 pm

Mark198423 wrote:
I may sometimes come across as whiney on here but I feel I don't really have anywhere else to vent. I'm not exactly the same here as in reality!

Same. Sorry 'bout my bitching you guys. D:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 12:53 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
what is the point of this thread exactly? to tell men that they can have girlriends if they are disrespectful to women and have the best of both worlds?

Its point is to make us return to the cave age when cavemen liked to drag cavewomen by their hair :lol: lol: (which is just a cartoon theory btw).

Kidding...

Don't worry, there's no agenda behind this thread, nor it will change any member's attitude. Those who have disrespectful attitude toward women will stay disrespectful toward women and those who respectful to women will remain respectful to women. My one silly thread won't change anything.

Quote:
but, in real life maybe those men hide it better than the complaining people on WP,

but for how long those men can hide it ? The men that I am mentioning in my examples are men who have been in relationships for too long. (one married since 5 years , one with a gf for 2 years.)

Quote:
or maybe their redeeming qualities are truly outstanding, or even...

Yes, redeeming qualities should be also more talked about too.

Quote:
maybe they are with women who have low self-esteen who believe they don't deserve any better (who would want a girlfriend like that?) anyway, we can't compare them side-by-side here.

Yes,not all women are idealists and perfect, a 'gf' doesn't necessary have the same mentality of those who are saying those remarks. Probably men with the bad qualities I mentioned above want such women. Fs for example might go for a wife who would never tell him 'no' and that girl might be happy with being so submissive (regardless how stupid this sounds) .

Quote:
what i do know is that a negative attitude, where a man is demeaning to women, is a definite NO for most women. end of story. perhaps it is just easier to sort that out online as opposed to in real life.

In reality, most men who are demeaning to women can get gfs/wives. How much this behavior decreases their mating chances tho? ...no one really knows.

Quote:
about loving oneself (i include complaining/whining in this category) - it's true that a person can hate themselves and still have a girlfriend (or boyfriend), but their choices will be very very very limited. not too many women (or men for that matter) want to be in a relationship with someone who has extremely low self-esteem... because they are DOWNERS who need near-constant attention and support. that's too much weight on the shoulders of a potential mate.

Many women have low self-esteem and downers , a man with -5 self-esteem can get a woman with -5 or even -10 self-esteem.

Quote:
there are always exceptions to these situations, but why settle with the limited choices available in the tiny pool of people who will put up with a person's misogyny/low self-esteem/complaining? better to improve oneself, widen the pool, and have infinitely better odds of finding a mate.

Yup, I believe too that it's a matter of a 'general value' , for example we can assume that a bad quality such as low self-esteem is "- 7" , his good-looking might be "+2" , his good job might be "+3" , his intelligence might be "+5". So the 'general value' would be -7 + 2 +3+5 = 3 , the higher the general value is the higher his mating chances.

Quote:
[edited to take out the 'you' words, to prevent confusion]

Thank you....let me give you a huge French kiss as appreciation.
no , wait , you're married and I just ate garlic pie....no casualties needed here ....so forget it.

all right all right i suppose i could calm down. your posts always get me up in a tree, then you explain what you mean and my irritation ends up deflated. interesting online talent!

Are you a monkey?! 8O

I am a monkey ! ;-p

Quote:
you understood exactly what i meant about the ratings/point system. i don't think people consciously do this, and i think our ratings vary from person to person, but i do think we all use something like this on an unconscious level. for example, in my opinion....

intelligence is the most important for me, so maybe that would be +7. appearance is moderately important to me (maybe +5), but not in a sterotypical way - i tend toward appreciating actors like the 4th Doctor Who, Alan Rickman, Hugh Laurie, etc. kindness/attitude/altruism would be another +6, and so on. my list would be different from someone else, probably. misogyny would be -10000000 or more hahaha!

yup , exactly .... scoring is subjective.

For you, misogyny is '-10000000' , for some women might even +1 or even +10! Believe me, I know such women. Some women (mostly ...girls) prefer misogynists jerks because because thy believe they're more honest and safer (since they're known what they are) than the nice guys.

Quote:
off-topic: are you buddhist, can i ask? buddhist people seem to come across calmer online.

No, just atheist.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 2:20 pm

rowingineden wrote:
When men complain about not being able to get a woman, I just roll my eyes. There are way more straight women out there for them than their are queer woman out there for me, but I still manage somehow to get women tripping over themselves for me. I'm not especially attractive or anything. Asperger's can actually help you here if you use it right - I go up to a woman and tell her exactly what I'm thinking, and I get points for being direct and clear. But then, what I'm thinking is usually something complimentary to her, because my personality is somewhat poetically inclined.

It seems like, despite your asperger's, you're a lot more capable socially than you may think you are. It at least sounds like you know how to break the ice and make the right sort of compliments.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 11:42 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Are you a monkey?! 8O

I am a monkey ! ;-p
Quote:
'up in a tree' is an expression we use in my city. it means to get scared or mad and get stuck in a tree like a cat.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

No, just atheist.
ah, my guess was frightfully incorrect then. i am also atheist. people sometimes want to attribute my strong opinions to religious morality, but it is not the case.