Yes 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
No 62%  62%  [ 13 ]
I suspect it, but I have not been officially diagnosed 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 21

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 2:57 pm

How many people here have HFA or AS and Tourette's?

Coldkick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2010, 3:24 pm

I have a friend who I suspect has AS and he has tics, which is pretty similar to Tourette's so I marked yes.

TheEntertainer26
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Sep 2010, 3:43 pm

I have AS and Tourette's, although the Tourette's only developed in the last year and a half.

ale
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Sep 2010, 3:48 pm

I've aspergers (diagnosed) and have had lots of tics of every kind (the last one just some months ago). But, as far as I remember, no one which lasted more than 1 yr (yes up to like half a year)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 4:16 pm

Coldkick wrote:
I have a friend who I suspect has AS and he has tics, which is pretty similar to Tourette's so I marked yes.
Here's the difference:
Quote:
A. Both multiple motor and one or more vocal tics have been present at some time during the illness, although not necessarily concurrently. (A tic is a sudden, rapid, recurrent, nonrhythmic, stereotyped motor movement or vocalization)
B. The tics occur many times a day (usually in bouts) nearly every day or intermittently throughout a period of more than 1 year, and during this period there was never a tic-free period of more than 3 consecutive months.
This is part of the definition of Tourette's. As you can see, it's primarily a distinction of multiple types, multiple tics, and a sustained high level of tic activity. People who have occasional tics don't have Tourette's because the intensity and variety of tics aren't up to this level, and probably don't meet the "must cause distress/impairment" criterion either.

I have occasional tics, but I don't have Tourette's because I'd have to have a whole lot more of them before anyone would even think of diagnosis.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Coldkick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2010, 7:29 pm

Maybe he has Tourette's then.

He has this weird thing he does with his mouth and nose. He flinches his left side of his mouth and nostril upwards quickly. Sometimes I see it 10 times an hour but I don't stare at his mouth trying to figure out how often it is.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 7:55 pm

Some of the stimulant medicines used to treat ADHD can cause tics/increase ticcing in some persons. Part of Tourette seems to resemble ADHD at times.

Tourette

...Many with TS experience additional neurobehavioral problems including inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity...

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tour ... urette.htm (Last updated June 16, 2010)

-------

ADHD

...There are several types of ADHD: a predominantly inattentive subtype, a predominantly hyperactive-impulsive subtype, and a combined subtype. ADHD is usually diagnosed in childhood, although the condition can continue into the adult years...

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/adhd/adhd.htm (Last updated June 11, 2010)

LususNaturae

18 Sep 2010, 5:55 pm

Not diagnosed, but I have 3+ facial tics and 1 vocal tic. Started at 9 years old. Definitely fits the definition.

26 now, and I can go years at a stretch where the tics are very manageable; last few months have been really bad though. Even then, the only people who know I have tourettes are my mother, my wife, and my manager at work. Everyone else assumes I have a cold when I grunt (sounds like clearing sinuses).

judyfox
Raven
Raven

18 Sep 2010, 6:27 pm

I have been having facial tics and vocal tics since the third grade, yet when I reach out to my doctor she told me; I could not have it are I would surly know. second opinion

LususNaturae

18 Sep 2010, 10:26 pm

judyfox wrote:
I have been having facial tics and vocal tics since the third grade, yet when I reach out to my doctor she told me; I could not have it are I would surly know. second opinion

Yeah, I went to a neurologist when I was having a really bad bout of tics for a couple months when I was 18, and he gave me less than 2 minutes of his time and just called them 'nervous tics'. Thanks for nothing.

The worst seems over (life has been very stressful over the last six months, which aggravated the tics (I've had bouts where I was literally grunting every 3-5 seconds for half an hour)), so I'm hoping I don't have to go through with this neurologist referral I have (at times they got so bad I felt like I was going to have a nervous breakdown, and I was willing to cave and get a diagnosis so I could get medication).