How do/did you deal with having to take courses you disliked

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 6:14 pm

I just started back college and instead of being on the bus&campus pretty much ALL DAY for 2 classes I decided to do ALL Online this semester. I chose what was left practically but I chose Statistics and Business Ethics. (I already had Online Health scheduled) Anyway Ethics is HELL! I don't care about how a company is run!! !! ! I understand a BUSINESS perspective Nintendo/Pixar/etc. make X amount of money from game/movie whatever but I don't care how the business is run from an ETHICAL view!! !! ! The teacher is all "What makes that person/company "ethical" IMO How about stock numbers and how the business IS YOU KNOW ACTUALLY DOING?! !! !! !! DUH! Nintendo is Ethical THEY'VE BEEN AROUND SINCE THE 1800'S I DON'T NEED A WEBSITE ARTICLE TO TELL ME ABOUT ETHICS! (Sorry I just hate the teacher is all ethics this ethics that etc.) :-( I usually go into classes with ideas for work/papers but Business Ethics I'm pretty much drawing a blank. Yes it's only the 1st week (for me) and overall I "think" I'm getting the hang of it. but overall I wanted other Aspies opinions on doing courses you disliked. Thanks.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 7:09 pm

I had to take math the past 2 semesters (which I hate). I liked the prof, which made it easier. For me I go with reading the text, taking notes in class and than talking to the prof or another student for clarification.

ari_
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Sep 2010, 7:25 pm

Well, if you need the course and can't switch, there is only one solution: you will have to deal with it. And that will be frustrating, it will be annoying, but you don't have a choice.

My solution for things I hate to do: schedule it. Put it in your agenda, on fixed times to start. Plan ahead what you want to have done per day. Schedule enough time to do your work, learn what you have to learn and study for your exam. Put in a few 'extra' hours at the end (near the exam), to make sure you have enough time.

Most important: do not postpone the work that you planned. Do not allow yourself to do anything else until the work you planned is done. And after it is done, don't worry about it. Then you can do other things you enjoy, as a reward.

In order to keep things bearable, divide it up. Doing 1 hour of work per day is better to cope with than 7 hours on Sunday. Schedule a break after 30-45 minutes or so. Note that your break is 10-15 minutes or less. Make your break a fixed time and use an alarm clock (or kitchen timer that you can program). This is so you won't go "I will go back to work after five minutes" again and again. Remember: when the work is done, it is really done and you can relax.

It may sound pretty childish, but it works. You will have to push yourself to do this, but the feeling of accomplishment will be great after you have passed this course. After all, you hated it, didn't want to do it, but did it anyway.

Eldanesh
Toucan
Toucan

03 Sep 2010, 9:55 pm

Poorly!

kraken
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Sep 2010, 12:23 am

Life is full of things you have to do that you don't want to do. You need to learn to suck it up and do it anyway. Seriously. Your brief discussion of business ethics, at least, suggests you have a lot to learn about the topic. Ari gives you an excellent piece of advice in terms of handling the mechanics of going to class and completing the work in a way that your dislike for it does not matter. After doing that, I would advise that you ruminate on the consequences of selecting classes out of simple schedule and personal convenience, rather than considering what role they play in your larger degree plan and education.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 1:43 pm

Don't take them.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 5:52 am

Generally....

1. Try to limit classes you hate to only one per semester if you can.

2. Hunker down and just grind your way through it.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 4:14 am

I used to not try very hard and I didn't do my homework, but this year I've changed.

scorcher863
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Sep 2010, 9:44 pm

i just started a chemistry lab, where you have to work with partners, and it's a three hour course... fml :x .

Luckily, I was able to make friends with one guy from my general chem class, who's nt but does alot of outloud thinking, and not so much emotional socializing, so I can sorta keep up with him. The first week I was paired with this hot ass girl, but she abandoned me for someone else the next week, I think cause I weirded her out by being real quiet in class, lol. Oh well, I made up for it by giving the three people at my table the exams from last semester's gen. chem. class that a buddy gave me. I should at least be able to keep them from stomaching my quirks, or pretending to like me until the end of the semester.

Other than that, my classes are ok. Calculus -- most of the class is pretty introverted, science of philosophy -- I have some knowledge so I can actually participate, Gen. Chem -- which is in a class of about 150 so it's easy to get lost, and intro to philosophy -- which is the difficulty level of a high school class.

How often do you guys speak up in class, or are you mostly not participating?

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 10:32 pm

One month of project management, it was horrible, towards the end of the
course even the instructor threw his hands up and said he hated the course,
anyhow I just sucked it up and did the course, got a very good mark too.

judyfox
Raven
Raven

15 Sep 2010, 1:30 am

me infamous course class es math. gee it's so frustrated for i.

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

18 Sep 2010, 11:15 am

What about when you actually are really fired up about the subject, but the class is being taught in a sh***y way? (i.e. an 8th grade reading level "textbook" and assignments like "What I ate for breakfast.".....in _ college_)