Emotional attachment to objects - an AS thing?

Page 5 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jeanna
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Sep 2012, 3:51 am

Oh yes. I get irrationally attached to inanimate objects all the time. I left my water bottle on a bus like the scatter brained person I am, and when I got home and realised I'd left it behind, I panicked. My mum got really mad and started yelling at me to stop being immature and boy did THAT not help at all.

My more understanding friends from school (I major in psychology so people are generally nicer about things) said they'd go to the store with me to get a new one, but it's just not the same :\ It's like losing a part of your life or a companion, a bit, and it still makes me feel awful to think of the fact that it's either been taken by someone (it was a really pretty flower patterned aluminum bottle), or is all lonely in a heap of stuff left behind on busses. The thought of it having been thrown away is unbearable, so I don't like to think about that.

But it's not just the nice looking bottles. I left an ordinary disposable one in a mall when I was younger, and the same thing happened. I actually freaked out so much that I was begging my parents let me go back to look for it, and I cried the whole night because I couldn't find it. It seems silly to everyone I know because they think it's just such a trivial thing, but I've never been able to not care about my things and the anxiety I face at losing them is horribly real.

Theuniverseman
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Sep 2012, 3:12 pm

Odin wrote:
I'm emotionally attached to my books. Getting rid of one is almost traumatic. 8O

I am totally attached to my books also, I still have a math textbook from 20 years ago lol. I am also highly attached to my favorites, I have dozens of folders and well over a thousand web sites saved which are all extraordinarily well organized.

Systemizing quotient - 52
Aspie-quiz ? AS: 151 NT: 61

Gperson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 May 2017, 1:24 pm

I have a bad connection to inanimate objects. I'm only 13 and tend to stray from people in general? I had a wubble bubble (basically a ballon) for 7 months and when he (yes hes a he) popped, i cried and felt empty for a few days? I dont know how to help you?

AnodyneInsect

29 May 2017, 2:01 pm

I have very strong attachments to certain things I own such as my rock collection and the thought of someone who does not know the significance of certain rocks just going through and throwing them out would infuriate me. I have found that over the years other things haven't held that much importance and if given a choice I would definitely let those things go as opposed to the rocks and minerals I own. For some reason certain pieces of jewelry do not have the same effect on me as others or the rock specimens. I still do cry over lost pieces and would feel highly violated by someone trying to reorganize my specimens.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 2:04 pm

I don't think so, I think it happens to most people.

anonpup
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 May 2017, 5:04 pm

I had a stuffed animal (giant 5.4ft stuffed husky) which I had owned since I was 16 and cried when I had to throw it away.
I'm not like the one guy who tried to marry his car because I personally see no point in feeling like that towards an object, however I get very very emotionally attached in my own way.
So much so that I was told a few months prior to get rid of it, but still kept and didn't care if I got in trouble.

Personally I see it more with stuffed animals and games for me, though the games could just be an addiction in a sense, but I'm working on being awake for 29 hours so I can't really think.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 5:18 pm

If anyone did that to my collections then the world, as we know it, would end. Crops would wither, livestock would sicken, the sea would become boiling hot, buildings would fall, mountains would crumble, and everywhere you look would be pain and pestilence, and the air would be full of weeping and wailing. And locusts. :twisted:

Well, that's how they should feel would happen if they did such a thing.:evil:

If people can't understand why I value such things, that's their problem and not mine, just like I don't understand why they value other things I have no interest in. Like how many shoes and purses does one woman need? But nooo, that's supposed to be "normal" for NT females, and *I'm* the weird obsessed one. Give me a break! :roll:

Capulet
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 May 2017, 5:07 pm

I do this to an extent, but so does my sister who is as neurotypical as they come. Our version of it is more like an attachment to the past, though, and the objects generally aren't seen as people.
Funny story:
Its actually become this big joke in my family over this mirror we had once, lol, because both my sister and I have this attachment to objects and neither of my parents did at all whatsoever (so we have no idea where we've gotten it from.) There was this mirror hanging in the dining room of the apartment we grew up in (mom still lives there) which was on the wall for seriously our entire lives- and apparently one day, years after my sister and I are moved out and living our own lives, it somehow broke. So my Mom and Dad, just seeing it as a broken mirror that no longer serves its purpose, threw it out. My sister and I both freaked out and got super mad at them, my sister was yelling stuff like "why didn't you call me???" and my Mom and Dad were so genuinely confused because they just don't see things that way at all. So almost immediately though, my sister and I were able to see the humor in it, like the four of us have all spent the past 25 years with this mirror yet for some reason two of us feel COMPLETELY differently than the other two, and each group of two thinks the other two are batsh*t crazy for the way they handled the mirror getting thrown out LOL. And the mirror was never even addressed in any way until the day it broke, its not like we ever talked about it, so how would my parents know we cared so much about it? Did WE even know we cared about it? LOL no clue.