Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Claire_Louise
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Sep 2010, 12:21 am

I have dyspraxia, and started talking at 3 years 2 months. I could fully talk at 6.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 9:13 am

Meow101 wrote:
I had no speech delays, in fact my speech development was advanced, but I was the classic "little professor" as a kid, much better with monologues than give and takes, use of big words, etc. Now it's pretty normal except when emotion is involved, at which point I have extreme difficulty finding words, I often don't express accurately, and sometimes nothing comes out at all.

~Kate

----

Some aspects of understanding emotions do not connect fully in me.

For example, for some reason I tend to like/accept the style/parts of the style of emotional singing of Barbra Streisand vs Aretha Franklin (the Queen of Soul).

Am very aware that most persons have an entirely different response to Aretha Franklin and have asked myself why don't I get it (the known emotional musical gifts of Aretha Franklin).

It ain't Aretha - it's me (my view) - kind of an emotional blind spot.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 12:24 pm

My speech wasn't delayed, but sounded like Klingon - very harsh and loud. I didn't talk a lot, but when I wanted, I did. I had little obsessions with some words/phrases and I repeated them many times stimming during it.

Now my speech sounds more friendly, but I still have problems with some sounds and accent. I learned many idioms, but I still don't understand many hidden meanings. I think in pictures, so sometimes my speech is like me-home-back (I come back home)or you-dog-were-out? (Did you go with a dog out?) or I have problems with combining words properly. I prefer typing than talking. Sometimes I don't say ends of the sentences, because I saw them in my mind, so it's enough.
My speech style is generally modern, but I often use style like old books or like Yoda (fortunately, my language about words order so much doesn't care).

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2010, 12:48 pm

I have speech delay and probably to this day I still have it. Almost every day I say something that I didn't really mean to say and sometimes my friends would look at me like I'm crazy and reply "dude did you seriously say that"? I tried to clarify what I said and they start to understand. I also have low volume in my voice so they always have a hard time understanding me from the start.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 9:34 pm

My speech has always been fairly normal (too loud when I was little, and lacked inflection, is all).

My language is another story. Most notably, it seems to come and go as it pleases. If I get more than a little stressed out, I lose my words entirely. When I do speak, it seems to either be overly pendantic and formal or primarily one-worders. I can't control either way.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 1:21 am

My speech has always been normal too. Kind of.

I made less mistakes than the other children apparently (though there are words I am nearly unable to say), did not have any speech delay, I even intaracted with other (which makes me think that I am probably just on the BAP due to my dyspraxia).

I spoke too loud perhaps, and was very talkative. I did answer to questions, I liked to speak on the phone when my mother was calling my grandmother and I was always asking her (with this impatient note) to give it to me. I did not let people speak to me a lot, I lead the conversation, I talked about what I did, what I liked, what was totally uninteresting.

Now, I am still rather talkative with my grandmother because we share interesting conversations, I also enjoy speaking to people who are close to me, we tend to debate but have silly conversations sometimes (it's easier with friends because I am interested in how they feel and all). I still tend to speak too loudly or too quietly but I am working on it.

I am also aware of the fact that when I was spontaneous, I did not applied all the social rules such as letting people speak too, answering them questions, etc but my mother, at the time, was always there to remind me some facts. :lol:

Adolescence made me more shy (I was already shy but it was somewhat strange) and quiet, less spontaneous and more cautious with people. Perhaps because I had no friends when I moved due to my personality or the fact that what I was saying was uninteresting to them.

However, there is something "strange" about my use of language : I am unable to use certain phrases or words. Mostly slang, but also things such as "see you later", I can only say goodbye. :lol:
I also have a tendency to speak to fast sometimes or to have struggles finding my words when a question is asked. However, in my mind, I can make complex sentences with the right accent and all.

Wraythen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Oct 2010, 2:12 am

I didn't have any speech delays at all (and if anything, it was accelerated - I'm told I was reading at age 3, at the latest).

Sadly though, I've become shyer and shyer over the years - I never speak until spoken to, I can no longer write big walls of text, I "stutter" frequently, and if anxious enough, I'll flat out say nothing.

I was a bit of an extravert in my younger years. Now I'm a complete misanthrope.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 2:27 am

I never had any speech delays but I had selective mutism for over nine years so when I started talking again my speech came out very monotone, robotic and soft. It was pretty bad but I learned how to talk over time and control my voice and stuff. I think I talk more normally now but I still stutter and stuff and I cant think when u put me on the spot.

XshadowX
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2010, 7:05 am

I have a speech delay & still do, Can't remember when i started talking, But it was late.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 7:18 am

I also have a Cockney accent, and I stutter when I feel that I'm being rushed. It's pretty bad when I stutter in front of my own mum, but she's a Type A personality and I'm a Type B. She should know better than to rush my talking.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 8:06 am

I had a minor speech delay (started talking at 3), but jumped right into it and was speaking formally and pedantically in no time. My speech has only grown my formal over the years, but sometimes I speak quite casually. It can vary with my mood.

When younger, I was nearly silent and generally only spoke when spoken to or when I had something to say. It was a quality I liked in myself and others, but caused problems as I grew into adulthood and have since learned to converse better.

I do have trouble with speech when emotion is involved, however. It gets quite bad; those times when I am most emotional or most needing to express (or respond to someone else's) emotion are the times when I'm most likely to freeze up. I can be inwardly fighting a desperate battle to speak words which can express whatever it is that's needed, but outwardly little makes it through. Something makes it, but not often words. You'd have to know what you were looking for to notice. Perhaps I ought to consider communicating such things through written text should it ever arise again in the future.

I have an occasional tendency to word things in an unusual fashion, but most people seem to like it. I like it just fine.

I have also recently developed a habit of using far too many words, as you can no doubt tell from my often-verbose posts.