Things others do you don't understand.

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 9:37 pm

This is kind of a spin on a topic I saw of things NT's do you don't understand but I wanted to toss some things your way. Hope you guys don't mind. (Feel free to add your experience hopefully my examples will help you understand the topic.)

1) Spring Break behavior (You know the beach/parties etc.) I saw this in a horror movie but don't get the appeal.

2) Everyone except me does this one: Me: So what do you want for your Birthday? Them: Nothing/You don't have to get me anything. UH I'm not like this I'm OMG I want this or this or like this/that. Is that wrong?

3) I made a topic on this before but after seeing a topic here on teen behavior I still ponder why I do it. Eagerness to learn. Teen behavior: Don't talk about there day/school etc. Me: Well I did this/that/stressed over this that this that. I'm always talking school thinking school etc. I feel it's a special interest. Basically though I never went through the HATE learning/school phase except unlike your 5 year old son which is I learned how to spell cat! It's Mom I learned about Freud her: WHO?! Me: He did dream interpretation her: I don't give a damn about that s**t!! ! Me: (thinking) Oh ok then.

So why did I skip this "teen phase?"

Thanks for your views what behavior did you "Skip" don't understand from others? Are the things I do wrong? The gift thinking or loving to learn?

Thanks.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 11:23 pm

Everything NT's do/want socially in my case :roll:

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2010, 3:38 am

I don't understand why they say things that aren't true, why they tease (especially why they 'jokingly tease') and why they smile when something isn't funny. I also don't understand why people laugh when I say something in class that clearly wasn't funny.

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

ProfessorCrow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Sep 2010, 3:40 am

The fear of silence.

-Crow

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 4:15 am

I don't get the whole keeping up with the jones' concept.

This is when you buy a new car not because u want or need it but because the neighbour bought one.

Basically you buy things you don't need (or want), with money you don't have to impress people u don't like.

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 5:15 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
This is kind of a spin on a topic I saw of things NT's do you don't understand but I wanted to toss some things your way. Hope you guys don't mind. (Feel free to add your experience hopefully my examples will help you understand the topic.)

1) Spring Break behavior (You know the beach/parties etc.) I saw this in a horror movie but don't get the appeal.

2) Everyone except me does this one: Me: So what do you want for your Birthday? Them: Nothing/You don't have to get me anything. UH I'm not like this I'm OMG I want this or this or like this/that. Is that wrong?

3) I made a topic on this before but after seeing a topic here on teen behavior I still ponder why I do it. Eagerness to learn. Teen behavior: Don't talk about there day/school etc. Me: Well I did this/that/stressed over this that this that. I'm always talking school thinking school etc. I feel it's a special interest. Basically though I never went through the HATE learning/school phase except unlike your 5 year old son which is I learned how to spell cat! It's Mom I learned about Freud her: WHO?! Me: He did dream interpretation her: I don't give a damn about that sh**! !! Me: (thinking) Oh ok then.

Thanks for your views what behavior did you "Skip" don't understand from others? Are the things I do wrong? The gift thinking or loving to learn?

Thanks.

1. I don't get that either, nor do I understand the appeal of going to clubs. Oh let's all get drunk and gyrate to terrible music, how fun! I also don't understand parties. I'd rather just play on my computer than do any of those things.

2. It's like when you give someone money as a gift and they say "ohhh that's far too much, take that back" even though they'd think you were rude if you took the money back. I usually just say thank you and be done with it, none of this fake pretending I don't want it.

3. Yeah I don't get this either, people would rather talk about dull shallow things, like what happened on the latest Big Brother, than talk about intellectual things. Makes me think most people are stupid.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 9:12 am

ProfessorCrow wrote:
The fear of silence.

-Crow

This especially. My ex could never shut the f**k up for ten minutes.

tomboywriter101
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Location: In my writing, where things are the way I want them

07 Jan 2011, 7:47 pm

[quote="wblastyn"][quote="zeldapsychology"]This is kind of a spin on a topic I saw of things NT's do you don't understand but I wanted to toss some things your way. Hope you guys don't mind. (Feel free to add your experience hopefully my examples will help you understand the topic.)

3) I made a topic on this before but after seeing a topic here on teen behavior I still ponder why I do it. Eagerness to learn. Teen behavior: Don't talk about there day/school etc. Me: Well I did this/that/stressed over this that this that. I'm always talking school thinking school etc. I feel it's a special interest. Basically though I never went through the HATE learning/school phase except unlike your 5 year old son which is I learned how to spell cat! It's Mom I learned about Freud her: WHO?! Me: He did dream interpretation her: I don't give a damn about that sh**! !! Me: (thinking) Oh ok then.

Thanks.[/quote]
1. I don't get that either, nor do I understand the appeal of going to clubs. Oh let's all get drunk and gyrate to terrible music, how fun! I also don't understand parties. I'd rather just play on my computer than do any of those things.

2. It's like when you give someone money as a gift and they say "ohhh that's far too much, take that back" even though they'd think you were rude if you took the money back. I usually just say thank you and be done with it, none of this fake pretending I don't want it.

3. Yeah I don't get this either, people would rather talk about dull shallow things, like what happened on the latest Big Brother, than talk about intellectual things. Makes me think most people are stupid.[/quote]

Yeah I prefer talking about intellectual things. I wonder if that's normal for a thirteen year old. My "friends" all prefer talking about what happened on last night's T.V. show or some other crap. Seriously people? I like talking about philosophy

Agree: 4,6,13,16,18,19,20,22,39,41,45: 1 point
Disagree: 1,3,10,11,14,17,27,30,32,36,38,44,47,48,49: 1 point
Score: 26

veryneutralusername
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Jan 2011, 8:11 pm

I don't understand the appeal to make yourself look ridiculous or very old-fashoined or look very messy or very heavily made-up with foundation, lipstick etch because it's "fashionable".

Neither do I understand the appeal of drinking in excess, not being in control of your actions until you vomit and then alledgedly have a large headache the morning afterwards. I don't understand why anybody would want to feel like that.

I also don't understand smoking- why would a person want to intentionally damage their health? It doesn't seem a particularly pleasant activity to participate in, even if it hypothetically didn't damage your health!

wblastyn- I too do not understand the concent of clubs or parties. There are definitely more productive and stimulating activites that could be done instead that I think I would enjoy considerably more, such as playing musical instruments, being on the computer, working on a hobby.

Rant over :p

FlintsDoorknob
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jan 2011, 8:17 pm

I don't understand why people don't say what they actually mean. Makes things a little confusing, no?

I don't understand how people can be ignorant and say ASD does not exist...

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

07 Jan 2011, 8:52 pm

FlintsDoorknob wrote:
I don't understand why people don't say what they actually mean. Makes things a little confusing, no?

I don't understand why when I say what I mean people start digging to find a hidden meaning that isn't there and try to hold me responsible for it.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 10:09 pm

These are about people in general. Not nonautistic people specifically -- many autistic people do these things too.

I don't understand why people can see some people as empty or not understanding or perceiving anything. They do it to some autistic people, to people with severe/profound intellectual disabilities, to people with dementia, to people with locked-in syndrome, people with severe catatonia, to anyone they perceive as mindless or unable to respond.

I don't understand why people see animals as little more than living robots. And with this one this viewpoint seems to increase the more intellectual they think they are. Despite the fact research has found even microbes have what seems to be purposeful rather than random movement, they will think of mammals as just bundles of "instinct". (Instinct seems a very hand-waving sort of word...)

I don't understand why people want to be famous, rich, or powerful, when all of those things seem to bring a lot of terrible things to the person who has them. Like if you're famous you lose your privacy, and if you're rich or powerful you're almost undoubtedly staying that way by hurting or exploiting people who certainly don't deserve it and all that comes back on you in the end. But people want it anyway. I mean I understand not wanting to be poor or powerless but rich and (extremely) powerful is overboard. All I want is enough money not to be always struggling for what I need, and maybe just a little bit more than that so I can get a little of what I want but not everything (after all even the poorest people in the world find ways of recreation). And enough power to be taken seriously when I need something but not power OVER people. Fame I could do without even the little tiny bit I have, it's nicer to only be known to people I like and not have strangers thinking they have a right to pontificate about my life (because they think they know all about me when they don't).

I don't understand why people believe so much of what they hear about how the world works even when it's technically impossible. And why they sincerely believe that anything like mental age is a real, measurable thing instead of an idea someone made up to sloppily and badly explain something real about the world.

I don't understand why it is that you can have a seemingly pleasant relationship with people, even when it's not the closest one, then without warning they hate you. Like, what changes? It's like one minute someone's exchanging cool information about a shared interest and next thing you know they're dripping with vitriol even though you never did anything to hurt them. Or you'll be around a group of people who seem to get along then suddenly they're all at each other's throats (and worse they all want you to take sides against the rest).

I don't understand why people act like you're not autistic if you can do a bunch of things that at least some, often most or all, of Kanner's original patients could do. Then they cite Kanner as the one whose patients were like their stereotypes. This includes things like speak, read, go to college, get jobs, do anything other than slamming their heads into walls, have IQs over 70 or even over 140, live "independently", etc.

I don't understand why people always seem to think they'd be terribly unhappy if they were disabled, and believe that happy disabled people are either secretly nondisabled or secretly miserable.

quesonrias
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2011, 10:30 pm

Why others panic and run to purchase milk, bread, and eggs when there is a snow forecast, even though 1) the air is obviously too warm for ice crystals to form (just breath in silly people). 2) it is definitely too warm for it to freeze and stick, even if it does snow. Not only this, but as the day progresses, the likelihood of snow continues to move farther and farther out in the forecast. Yet, you still see these individuals flocking in large masses to the stores, even though on Friday night, it is not supposed to snow until Monday.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
RAADS-R: 187.0
Language: 15.0 • Social Relatedness: 81.0 • Sensory/Motor: 52.0 • Circumscribed Interests: 40.0

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 165 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Katiebun2281

07 Jan 2011, 10:39 pm

What I don't understand about NT's is the NOISE!! I don't get why they are sooo noisy and seem to Love blasting the tv and the radio.
It makes my ears bleed. Silence is definitely Underrated. :roll:

MarkMartino
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2011, 10:50 pm

Verdandi wrote:
FlintsDoorknob wrote:

I don't understand why when I say what I mean people start digging to find a hidden meaning that isn't there and try to hold me responsible for it.

Definitely both of those.

I don't understand a lot about the world and people. Getting older and more experienced isn't helping, either, and I expected it to.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 1:04 am

I don't understand why most people still dress and act according to what's between their legs.

I don't get how they can't just be happy, when their grown aspie children get their lives back on the right paths, after being punks or hippies.

I don't get how many mothers give their kids lack of support, when their favorite celebrities pass away. Yes, I'm still peaved about the Pete Quaife thing, though I'm happier than I was.

I also don't understand why people are grossed out by adults who need diapers for medical reasons. It's unsettling for some, but it's not for me. I can handle my messes, and it hurts that I've lost a friend here, over it. I know... MOPE MOPE MOPE.