Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

06 Sep 2010, 4:08 pm

Quote:
Musical tastes and personality type are closely related, according to a study of more than 36,000 people from around the world.
The research, which was carried out by Professor Adrian North of Heriot-Watt University, is said to be the largest such study ever undertaken.
It suggested classical music fans were shy, while heavy metal aficionados were gentle and at ease with themselves.
Professor North described the research as "significant" and "surprising".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/7598549.stm

Agree or disagree?

I think it isn't personality type but rather the mood one is in or the cultures one participates in.

I listen to all kinds of genres, what does that make me?

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2010, 4:10 pm

As a metal listener, I can pretty much vouch for that, although I do become violent every once in a while, but that's only when I feel threatened or one of my friends is threatened.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 5:40 pm

I would describe my musical taste as "Bipolar"... hey, just like me! Yup, makes perfect sense.

To be serious, I listen to everything, from Classical Symphonies and Ambient Electronica, to Hard Rock and Death Metal, and everything in between. Everything.

As for personality, though I do have Bipolar, it's not a personality trait. Most of the time I would like to think that I come across as easygoing and calm. For an Aspie, I don't have meltdowns as much, and I'm good at concealing anxiety. My emotions are all over the place, however. I can hide them most of the time, but I'll feel so many different types of emotions, that I usually tend to have a musical genre for it.

Also, if it means anything, I listen to so many different genres because I can't stand the idea of listening to just one. I'll feel really limited. In terms of art, I like being able to enjoy each and every kind. Variety, the spice of life.

HeavyDrip
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2010, 6:25 pm

I agree. Now that I think about it I do realize my personality does fit my musical tastes. I listen to a lot of Nirvana and bands that influenced them (Melvins, Mudhoney, Vaselines... etc.). And I listen to some classic rock and death metal.

I have aspergers. I do have anger issues. And I easily get depressed.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 7:46 pm

What about oldies? They forgot oldies. I guess that The Kinks would be classified, as rock.

Om Nom 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 9:22 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
What about oldies? They forgot oldies. I guess that The Kinks would be classified, as rock.

I thought the Kinks were classical music. Well, classics anyway. (Hey the 60s were a great decade for rock - I can remember it).

I am shy. I like classical music. I fit the stereotype. I also like a certain amount of heavy rock. As a depressed, anxious and somewhat shy teenager in the 60s I liked The Who, including their heavy stuff ("Live at Leeds", say). But I also liked classical music back then, and studied Bach and others at high school (elective music).

I really don't like jazz and Blues, rap, country and western, reggae, dance, soul ... but I don't mind Bollywood (probably because it is exotic and reminds me of India which I enjoyed visiting).

So, on the whole, I fit their picture of an introvert who likes classical music and rock with a bit of metal - like Jimi Hendricks doing the Star-Spangled Banner at Woodstock (now that was cool). I don't mind folk (Joan Baez, or Peter Paul and Mary), Simon and Garfunkel, Clannad, and stuff like that either. And I liked the psychedelic music of the 60s ... "Incense, peppermint, meaningless sounds..."

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 10:25 pm

What about dark jungle? They need to explore this one a bit further :).

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 12:58 pm

I can already pick up trends without doing an official study...

Cheery extroverted people tend to like pop and top 40 music.

Thrill seekers tend to like classic rock, "nu-metal"/"90s Alternative", or punk derivative rock music.

Laid back introverts tend to like indie-folk music and/or older 60s Bob Dillon era folk.

This applies mainly to the under 40 crowd as older age groups listen to other things.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 1:32 pm

They missed hard working with Jazz.

Anyways, that means that I'm a high self-esteem, low self-esteem, not hardworking, not gentle, outgoing, creative, introvert, that is at ease and gentle. :?

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 9:24 pm

Weird.

I posted something not long ago about whether anyone had ever questioned if they might have had MPD before learning about AS. I had questioned it a long time ago, then dismissed it mainly because I never had memory loss.

And now this thread.

I like so many different styles of music it's overwhelming to list them all.

Guess I must have a multifaceted personality. Or MPD without the blackouts.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

rowingineden
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Sep 2010, 9:32 pm

It would help if they defined the terms, because in most senses, I am not "outgoing", but I am not "reserved" in the sense of being afraid to speak my mind. I tend to find blues most affecting in this stage of my life and have a preference for it, but I also tend to like rock/heavy metal, soul, and some jazz, rap, pop, and on occasion reggae and classical.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 9:51 pm

Interesting thing I noticed.

Indie is on that list. Indie isn't a style. Indie is just short for "Independent," meaning the artist is either self published or published through a small independent label. It's got nothing to do with style. Indie music can be all sorts of different styles.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 10:15 pm

MrXxx wrote:

Indie is on that list. Indie isn't a style. Indie is just short for "Independent," meaning the artist is either self published or published through a small independent label. It's got nothing to do with style. Indie music can be all sorts of different styles.
That's true, but there's sort of a subculture of "indie kids", who tend to listen to nothing but obscure (indie) or alternative rock bands.

Anyways, I've never heard of "Bollywood" (it must be really obscure or out of my league to not have heard of it), and they're missing Electronica music; that kind of music isn't so underground that not a single type of Electronica shouldn't show up. At least Post-Rock, or at the very least, Techno or something like that.

Foreign music also isn't on there (Latin, African, Asian, etc... styles), but that's understandable, though.

Quote:
"The general public has held a stereotype of heavy metal fans being suicidally depressed and of being a danger to themselves and society in general. But they are quite delicate things."
lol

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 5:06 am

I do personally think musical taste stems, at least in part, from one's personality. When I think about it, I look over my iTunes catalogue, and I can rationalize everything on my playlist as reflecting an aspect of my personality. I tend to enjoy being mentally stimulated and challenged, so I've got a large collection of progressive rock (Tool, The Mars Volta, Pink Floyd, Yes, Porcupine Tree, Riverside). As a result of my experiences with AS, I'm predisposed to depression and occasional feelings of aggression, so I have plenty of music (Alice in Chains, Metallica, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails) that allows me to channel my negative feelings. And when I'm not in a particularly cerebral or negative mood, I'm often still interested in the unusual and innovative (Animal Collective, Bjork, The Knife, Radiohead). Mood is definitely a factor-- but in the same vein, I don't think you can dismiss personality, because personality has a major direct influence on the sorts of moods you experience most frequently.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 2:18 pm

Ooh! That sounds interesting, and from what I've read, it seems accurate. Since I both like classical, alternative (it can count as a form of metal), and "indie", if you call it a style, what it's saying is that I have a low self-esteem (indie, I do have a low self-esteem, by the way), I'm gentle (classical) , creative (from both, actually), and introverted (both). I wonder what it would be for J-pop (it's not that chart topping, unless you count Morning Musume). By the way, I listen to Flyleaf, Switchfoot, Paramore (the head-banging style ones; no interest in the pop aspect), Kanon Wakeshima, and Vocaloid (certain songs, especially the sad ones, the deep ones, and the Halloween or fantasy oriented things).

Ah_Q
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 4:03 pm

MrXxx wrote:

That's where the name comes from but it's really nothing more than a name. There is a definite indie aesthetic that ties all the artists under that label together. That's why you can have indie bands that are signed onto major labels.