Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2006, 4:26 pm

Thanks for the support on the birthday party episode. My experience is that dealing with other parents who are NTs is like being in the twilight zone!

adhocisadirtyword
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2006, 6:14 pm

Speaking of birthday parties... What do you do when a child wants a birthday party (and asks pretty consistently for it)? I feel bad, because it is a nightmare for me to plan and coordinate and be at the party with all of the chaos, but more than anything she wants one. She would gladly give up all the presents just for a chance to socialize with a group of friends outside of school.

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2006, 9:26 pm

Do you have someone who can do it for you? This is where grannies and aunts can be very helpful.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2006, 11:36 pm

anandamide wrote:
mintiness wrote:
It's the moms that DO compete that baffle me - like the Mom of my daughter's best friend. She has 3 jobs outside of the home, a degree (teaching), and 2 toddlers at home plus she babysits another. She kinda bugs me to join one of businesses...I'm like - 8O Yeah, right. I'm not here to match you, hon. Just take care of my own kids, raise them to be good people in this world. I don't have to kill myself on a daily basis! You're right - it ISN'T a contest! But they act like it is, and at times, it's hard, ya know?

And it's funny - I have a 'uniform' I wear when I have to go to the school. My hubby jokingly calls them my 'soccer Mom' clothes. So not me! :lol: But they fit with the other Moms so I do it for that, and the teachers, you know? And I have that facade, too. You learn what you can say and how much to say....it's so strange. I hate it now my girls are getting older - they want sleepovers and parties and such...and it's a killer for me, dealing with the parents. I feel horrible for that, and I've tried to do better, but it's really hard. We just invited to a birthday party and I'm like - hmmm. Should we go? I'll have to talk to people. :lol:

My girls can't stand being talked down to, either. It's the surest way to anger them, esp. my oldest. She has a very strong sense of justice, too - we had an accident here a bit ago and when one of the adults accused another child, she was right there, defending that child for all she was worth (even though she fights with that child at times) against the Mom that doing the accusing. I was so proud of her!

I think my oldest daughter's teacher has seen thru my facade as well. It's why he thinks *I* have a problem, and not my child. Ah well. I think he's an arrogant - you know. But we have to work together for my kids, so I'm doing what I can.

I got a good laugh reading your post. You sound alot like me. Birthday parties are horrible! I went with my eldest daughter to a birthday party she was invited to. And I inadvertantly made the host cry! Well, in my experience NTs are not very good at "playing fair" so it was probably to be expected. The mom who was hosting the party for her eight year old daughter had invited another girl..who was bullying my child at school. This was before I switched my daughter to the school where there are no bullies and damn good policies against it. Anyway, I brought my daughter to this birthday party and there weren't enough seats so my child had to sit on the floor. The "bully" and the birthday girl began playing games together and leaving my child out. I was shocked when the mom handed party favors to every child but my daughter. I spoke up and told the woman that my child had not received a party favor. So this mom went to some room in her house and brought out some item she had on hand, I think it was a pipecleaner twisted into a funny shape or something, clearly not of the same quality, and gave that to my child. Then the mom handed out drinks in paper cups with each child's name printed on the cup in bright letters to every child but my daughter. Again I had to speak up. The woman gave my child an old plastic cup to drink out of. I watched my daughter shrinking into herself. So I finally took the mom aside and pointed out in a sensitive way that she had repeatedly left my child out. The mom who was hosting then ran to her bedroom and commenced sobbing.

The mom drove us home at the end of the party, blowing her nose and sobbing a little, and she kept saying how she never meant to hurt our feelings and that it made her feel so baaaad.

What IS it about fairness that NTs and their children don't understand? Having to interact with NT parents is hell. And birthday parties are double hell.

Reading the part about Birthday Parties has really tugged at my Heart Strings. :cry:

adhocisadirtyword
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2006, 1:11 am

anandamide wrote:
Do you have someone who can do it for you? This is where grannies and aunts can be very helpful.

Not so much. I'm an only child with a Guilt-Tripping Mom. I'm not sure what's worse... dealing with the screaming kids and their overwhelming parents, or dealing with my Mom after asking her the slightest favor.

Ah well... You know how we do - I feel my daughter deserves it, so I'll put on my happy face and my charming sense of humor for one afternoon. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

mentalblock
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 May 2006, 3:45 am

I am an AS mum with an AS son and possibly another as he is showing strong traits. And reading these posts has been like reading about my children and I. I have 5 kids and I am always being told how polite and fair my children. How patient they are with others at school and how independent they are, I am often told it must be because we are a 'large' family. But like I have read here they become quite concerned when the game is not fair or when who they are as a person is not respected. They will even go so far as to point out any disrespect they feel they have suffered. All things must be fair and equal. I am not sure if that is me or just the fact that we are a big family but I hope some of it is me. It has been an easy road to love my kids I can be affectionate with them, but at times that part can be hard for me as I have a few funny little things I dont like ...being breathed on...so I kinda hold my breath when they come up to kiss my cheek. :? Because I have such an interest in children I think that has helped me to care for them and mother them the best way I think they should be. I also think my constant routines help them too :) We tend to run a bit like an army camp!
Being up at the school is the hardest part I dont like small talk and find it really hard, but for the kids I do what I have to. As for parties I hate them but still I do have them I prepare myself for it all pretend to be like everyone else and when it is over am so thankful it is over. Hate asking for help probably because I can be a control freak so I tend to do it on my own with my husband for back up.
There are days I can go up to school do all the schoolie stuff no problems then there are other days I would rather be somewhere..anywhere but there with all those other mothers.

lae
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2006, 4:08 am

Anandamide, I wish my mother had been like you when I was a kid, and I hope I did half as well with my own child. People can be very unfair and I don't think they realize that kids remember.

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2006, 11:00 am

Well I am not a perfect mom by any standard. But my children do know that when they have a problem with some adult or child that is causing them to feel very troubled then I will do something to intervene and try to resolve the problem.

One solution that I came up for bullies in the playground is a little tactic that has worked well. When my children report that someone has been repeatedly bullying them or other children then I tell my children they are not allowed to play with that person. it has to be a case of repeated bullying, and then I instruct my kids to say, "My mom says I'm not allowed to play with you." MY kids actually like this when I give them this rule. This has worked well in the past. I only do this when a child is behaving really badly, for example when one girl was telling the others not to play with my child or another child. I told my daughter, "You're not allowed to play with that girl because she is being a bully." I emphasize that I only make this rule when it is a real clear case of bullying. I have gone so far as to go out to the playground and if I see that my children are breaking the "You can't play with the bully" rule I will then call my children to me and tell them off for breaking the rule. It takes the pressure off my child from having to deal with the bully. Also, the bully runs home and tells his or her parents that there is a child who is not allowed to play with him or her. This has the great effect of making the bully's parents feel bad because those parents know that now there are other parents who disapprove of their child. No parent likes to hear that some other parent has made such a rule about their child based on that child's bad behavior. So far it has worked very well.

I can deal with NT parents and teachers, although it is uncomfortable for me. I may be an aspie social geek, but I'm not stupid.

CRB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2006, 10:07 pm

I am an Aspie parent of three school-age boys. I am a stressed-out parent, especially since the two youngest are rather active., and when they don't listen to me.

Flynndanarra
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 May 2006, 1:36 pm

Hi I am an aspie single mom to 5 boys. One of whom is diagnosed aspie and a couple of others who seem to have shadow symptoms.

Feeling rather overwhelmed much of the time lately. So not sure what else to say just that there are others.

Flynndanarra
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 May 2006, 2:02 pm

Hi I am an aspie single mom to 5 boys. One of whom is diagnosed aspie and a couple of others who seem to have shadow symptoms.

Feeling rather overwhelmed much of the time lately. So not sure what else to say just that there are others.