Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 5:01 pm

Jacoby wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
They have the right to freedom of expression but I agree with General Petraeus's reasoning, they shouldn't because it put's the lives of the troops at additional risk. I think Islam should be rebuked but it should be done in a much more constructive way.

Even beyond that, would Christians appreciate bibles being burned because of priests molesting children? I know the ADL would be all over any kind of event that involved the Torah being burned.

Anyways, my signature says it all.

Of course not and as I said about burning the Quran, it's not productive. What point besides hate does that convey?

I must have misread your post. It seemed to be diminutive to the aspect of that it's just plain wrong and focused on just the aspect of worsening relations with Muslims and endangering troops.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 5:02 pm

ruveyn wrote:
I hope the day never comes that our fear of "offending" the Muslims will act like a ball and chain upon us.

It's bad enough that fear of "offending" Jews acts like a ball and chain on us.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 5:03 pm

skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
I hope the day never comes that our fear of "offending" the Muslims will act like a ball and chain upon us.

It's bad enough that fear of "offending" Jews acts like a ball and chain on us.

The ADL never stopped an anti-semite from offending Jews. By the way the ADL does not threaten violence.

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 5:04 pm

ruveyn wrote:
By the way the ADL does not threaten violence.

Not literal but their actions can be more destructive than any physical violence can impart.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 5:04 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Even beyond that, would Christians appreciate bibles being burned because of priests molesting children? I know the ADL would be all over any kind of event that involved the Torah being burned.

Would they be chanting "Death to Mecca"?

anyways, go burn those moongod books away. eh, some moslem extremist would probably fly another plane into a building just for being cut off by a truck with a crucifix. it makes no difference. like the idiots who believe removing the troops from "muslim land" will make them stop attacking, its complete bs.

people here are speaking out against this moron and his congregation of 50 families or so. but to the rest of the world, i guess each family is representative of one of our state. i completely disagree with this knob. but ill be damned if some hypocritical twit feels the need to belittle the rest of the country over this idiot's action. so to that end, have at it with those mohammedan books.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 5:06 pm

oscuria wrote:
like the idiots who believe removing the troops from "muslim land" will make them stop attacking, its complete bs

Do you even know who threw the first punch in this?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 5:07 pm

skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
By the way the ADL does not threaten violence.

Not literal but their actions can be more destructive than any physical violence can impart.

Nonsense. Write and tell us when some fanatical Jews hijack a commercial flight and crash it into a tall building filled with innocent folk.

The ADL protests anti-semitic acts. This time Jews will not be tormented in silence, like in Germany. They will make noise and a fuss. The next time the anti-semites will bleed too.

ruveyn

Last edited by ruveyn on 07 Sep 2010, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 5:08 pm

skafather84 wrote:
oscuria wrote:
like the idiots who believe removing the troops from "muslim land" will make them stop attacking, its complete bs

Do you even know who threw the first punch in this?

the ottomons?

i should probably go further back than that..

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 5:14 pm

Some churches burned people alive at the stake, not just books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pe ... s_heretics

Some believe that several deceased Popes of Italy are currently burning in hell for hiding child crimes worldwide from the secular police to save Rome lawsuit money.

Hasn't the US Supreme Court looked at this idea?

It's ok to burn an American flag as part of an art display.

This US Supreme Court decision followed one in the country of England which allowed British citizens to burn British flags.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 5:16 pm

pgd wrote:
Some churches burned people alive at the stake, not just books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pe ... s_heretics

Some believe that several deceased Popes of Italy are currently burning in hell for hiding child crimes worldwide to save Rome lawsuit money.

Hasn't the US Supreme Court looked at this idea?

It's ok to burn an American flag as part of an art display.

This US Supreme Court decision followed one in the country of England which allowed British citizens to burn British flags.

As long as one burns his own flag (which is a piece of cloth) in such a way as not to transgress fire safety laws, no misdemeanor or felony has been committed.

ruveyn

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 5:47 pm

ruveyn wrote:
I hope the day never comes that our fear of "offending" the Muslims will act like a ball and chain upon us. Screw them, if they are offended. No one should be prevented from doing a legal act.

ruveyn

No one is being prevented. I see no argument that there is any legal prohibition against this group's plan.

Rather, they are being persuaded--and that is one of the roles of free expression. The opponents of this plan are free to call it stupid, misguided, dangerous to the United States' interests and any number of other things. Perhaps some of these messages have hit home.

While I don't subscribe to the, "Screw them, if they are offended," approach to political discourse, I arrive at the same conclusion by different means.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

07 Sep 2010, 5:57 pm

visagrunt wrote:
No one is being prevented. I see no argument that there is any legal prohibition against this group's plan.

Rather, they are being persuaded--and that is one of the roles of free expression. The opponents of this plan are free to call it stupid, misguided, dangerous to the United States' interests and any number of other things. Perhaps some of these messages have hit home.

While I don't subscribe to the, "Screw them, if they are offended," approach to political discourse, I arrive at the same conclusion by different means.

It's pretty funny how this parallels the Ground Zero Mosque controversy.

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Sep 2010, 7:26 pm

BigK wrote:
Al-Qaeda must be loving this. Their recruitment officers won't be able to keep up with the demand from new recruits.

Bin Laden must be dancing in his cave.

Who needs flyers when the West does the recruitment for them?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 10:23 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Write and tell us when some fanatical Jews hijack a commercial flight and crash it into a tall building filled with innocent folk.

King David Hotel bombing.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 10:27 pm

Jacoby wrote:
visagrunt wrote:

It's pretty funny how this parallels the Ground Zero Mosque controversy.

Kinda. It's both about something offensive to someone else but that's about where it ends. Ground Zero Community Center (again, it's not a mosque) is construction and development in the area; not exactly a negative sum. The Florida book burners are just burning books and spreading hate and fear; there's no sum gain there and potential risk to encourage more of a rift. Are they free to do it? Sure. But I have to defer back to my signature beyond that.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 10:41 pm

Well, I'm not saying anything against their right to burn Korans. If they want to tell the rest of the world that they are a bunch of backwards hateful mindfucks, then by all means let them. That's their prerogative as stated by the Constitution.

Of course, if they allow them to do this, then when the mosque next door decides they want to make a bonfire out of a stack of Bibles, then that'd better be allowed too. But of course we all know that isn't going to happen.

But in all seriousness, I do not condone this.

I say this to any Muslims that may be reading this post: This is not how I think, nor how the rest of America thinks. Christianity has its extremists, just like Islam. Just because one church in America decides to stir s**t up does not mean the rest of us feel that way. It's the same way with Islam, al-Qaida does not speak for the majority of Muslims. Just saying.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.