Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 4:59 pm

More like the religious psychopath channel, amirite?

But seriously...I like actual history and whenever I look to see what's on the channel, all there ever is now are various conspiracies about Judas being a Satanic agent or how the Nazis fit into Christian prophecy. That garbage isn't history. It isn't even close to history, it's all fiction and very poorly developed conspiracy theories.

Since when is it history to give endtimes lunatics free airtime to pass their disease on to others?

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

07 Sep 2010, 5:32 pm

Well, that's what gets the ratings I guess. History Channel has been sort of a joke for a while now. It's mostly 2012/end of the world stuff, UFOs, Monster Quest(possibly the dumbest show of all time), and stupid "reality" shows like Swamp People, Ice Road Truckers, and whatever that logging one is called. American Pickers and Pawn Stars are good shows I guess.

Before that it was mostly WWII, Nazi, and military stuff but at least that's actually history.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 6:08 pm

I don't have cable, but the History Channel is generally an object of mockery and scorn in my university's history department. I recall people laughing about some History Channel program postulating that Hitler was an alien or something along those lines.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 6:17 pm

So UFO Hunters isn't history related?

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 6:23 pm

I hate the "History" Channel - the "history" of the end of the world, Satan/God/Sky-Fairy-of-the-Month, alien stuff is ridiculous and it's stupid too - because the history of religion and mythology is quite interesting but instead of doing actual historical documentaries, they bring out a bunch of priests and televangelists and ask them what the Bible says. Also their rare historical shows are full of inaccuracies and oversimplifications.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 6:29 pm

I used to watch it quite a bit, back when it was still the Nazi channel. Sounds like they're trying to drum up some revenue, I'd noticed them advertising some reality programing on other channels but hadn't realized it had gotten so bad.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 6:35 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I used to watch it quite a bit, back when it was still the Nazi channel. Sounds like they're trying to drum up some revenue, I'd noticed them advertising some reality programing on other channels but hadn't realized it had gotten so bad.

That's actually why I can't stand a lot of the WWII related games and comics: OD'd on the myth and lure of the war via History Channel. And even back then, it was a lot of fairytales about the war rather than actually approaching it with fact.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 8:15 pm

I actually LIKE the History Channel. It's quality entertainment!

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 10:17 pm

AngelRho wrote:
It's quality entertainment!

It's garbage entertainment. It makes you fat in the brain.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 10:42 pm

skafather84 wrote:
More like the religious psychopath channel, amirite?

But seriously...I like actual history and whenever I look to see what's on the channel, all there ever is now are various conspiracies about Judas being a Satanic agent or how the Nazis fit into Christian prophecy. That garbage isn't history. It isn't even close to history, it's all fiction and very poorly developed conspiracy theories.

Since when is it history to give endtimes lunatics free airtime to pass their disease on to others?

The history channel has been dreck for a few years now largely for these reasons. I'm a big WW-II buff and it was one of my favorites when it was basically the WW-II channel. Now I have to turn to the military channel if I want my WW-II fix. In fact, i'm watching "Wings over Europe" as I type this. Ah yes....the mighty Ilyushin-II Sturmovik and other such warbirds.... can't enough of this stuff!! ! :D

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 12:23 am

Dox47 wrote:

In those days it was jokingly called "the Hitler Channel" because three out of every four documentaries was about WWII in the European theater and about the German army.

ruveyn

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 8:08 am

ruveyn wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

In those days it was jokingly called "the Hitler Channel" because three out of every four documentaries was about WWII in the European theater and about the German army.

ruveyn

It's the same reason that the UK Channel 5 gets called "Channel Fumf."

History channel is the reason why so many people get history so very very wrong on WP.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 8:42 am

skafather84 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

I don't know about THAT. But the UFO stuff? That's when the Hitler Channel, I mean, the HISTORY Channel lost me. SOME of it is history as UFO "sightings" have a history of their own. I've never personally witnessed anything like that, though, which makes me wonder about the people who claim to. The only remotely interesting thing was a show on apparent depictions of UFOs in art throughout history, like caveman drawings, religious art, and later "academic" paintings. But even then I'm thinking, "you can't be serious..."

I do dig the military channel and Myth Busters on Discovery. My enjoyment of the History Channel is akin to why I nearly failed 2 semesters of U.S. History. The professor was a GREAT storyteller. What was difficult was that I have a hard time picking out relevant facts and concepts from class lectures, not to mention I have difficulty remembering that kind of stuff anyway. I retook those courses over a couple of summer sessions with a different teacher who actually typed out all his lecture notes, photocopied them, and just gave them to us. For someone like me, that's much easier to absorb. Looking back, the history department at that college as a whole has a superiority complex only closely matched by the English/Literature department. Ya know, maybe back then if I HAD been more appreciative of the History Channel, I might have done BETTER the first time around.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 8:55 am

AngelRho wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

I don't know about THAT. But the UFO stuff? That's when the Hitler Channel, I mean, the HISTORY Channel lost me. SOME of it is history as UFO "sightings" have a history of their own. I've never personally witnessed anything like that, though, which makes me wonder about the people who claim to. The only remotely interesting thing was a show on apparent depictions of UFOs in art throughout history, like caveman drawings, religious art, and later "academic" paintings. But even then I'm thinking, "you can't be serious..."

I do dig the military channel and Myth Busters on Discovery. My enjoyment of the History Channel is akin to why I nearly failed 2 semesters of U.S. History. The professor was a GREAT storyteller. What was difficult was that I have a hard time picking out relevant facts and concepts from class lectures, not to mention I have difficulty remembering that kind of stuff anyway. I retook those courses over a couple of summer sessions with a different teacher who actually typed out all his lecture notes, photocopied them, and just gave them to us. For someone like me, that's much easier to absorb. Looking back, the history department at that college as a whole has a superiority complex only closely matched by the English/Literature department. Ya know, maybe back then if I HAD been more appreciative of the History Channel, I might have done BETTER the first time around.

The history channel combined the two last night: nazi UFO's.

I want my education channels to actually be about education and information, not some garbage about how the nazis were the fulfillment of the antichrist prophecy.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 9:02 am

Jacoby wrote:
Well, that's what gets the ratings I guess. History Channel has been sort of a joke for a while now. It's mostly 2012/end of the world stuff, UFOs, Monster Quest(possibly the dumbest show of all time), and stupid "reality" shows like Swamp People, Ice Road Truckers, and whatever that logging one is called. American Pickers and Pawn Stars are good shows I guess.

Before that it was mostly WWII, Nazi, and military stuff but at least that's actually history.

---

Agree. Often it is all about ratings, not the truth or actual history at all.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 9:10 am

Jacoby wrote:

Some of it was history; the way it was focused, though, made it more into modern folklore rather than some kind of archeological/anthropological study. It was just the stories...not much analysis other than the occasional bit of military strategy.