PDF or paper
PDF 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Paper 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 10

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 5:51 pm

I have found that i prefer reading things in the form of a PDF. I still prefer too read novels in the form of a book (i don't intend too get an Ereader) but when i come too things like magazine article's or science books or other things of a technical nature i prefer too read them on my computer. I was wondering if any one else is this way.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 5:52 pm

Online yes, because it's easier to get them.
PDF no. I hate the formatting in PDF files.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 7:27 pm

I prefer reading PDF's, but I really enjoy printing things out.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 7:30 pm

gramirez wrote:
I prefer reading PDF's, but I really enjoy printing things out.

If it's something worth saving i will print it, but i hate reading printouts (idk why).

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 7:50 pm

I find that it's easier to learn something in-depth of I'm reading it on paper. PDFs take up less space, though, plus a lot of times they're free. I got Algorithms and Data Structures (Niklaus Wirth), the Version 7 Unix Manual, Goto Considered Harmful (Edsger Dijkstra), and several other ebooks for free in PDF form.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 7:52 pm

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
I find that it's easier to learn something in-depth of I'm reading it on paper. PDFs take up less space, though, plus a lot of times they're free. I got Algorithms and Data Structures (Niklaus Wirth), the Version 7 Unix Manual, Goto Considered Harmful (Edsger Dijkstra), and several other ebooks for free in PDF form.

i mainly just find it easier to focus on a PDF

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 4:46 am

PDF is great for storage and portability.

If I need to read something or work with documents, print form is the only medium that works. You can't flip back and forth between pages or notate on PDF like you can on paper.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 5:29 am

Paper is far better than ugly PDF, but I really prefer ODF.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 5:52 am

I don't like PDF much, the formatting is horrible and it just annoys me for some reason. I prefer to read novels on paper if possible, it's more relaxing and just easier. Non-fiction is better online for me, free and easy.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 10:00 am

ePub has the huge advantage over PDF that the text can be set to reflow, so it fits within the margins of your screen when you change the text size. There are loads of books in ePub, which is an open format (although it does support digital rights management), and it is easy to make ePub books.

I have managed to convert some PDF books into ePub (using Calibre), but most contain formatting that can not be made to reflow, and my ebook reader does not handle PDF at all well (you need to zoom in to read the text, but can't change pages when zoomed, which is really poor design).

Having said that, I have manuals for just about every piece of hardware I own in PDF on my ebook reader, and it has been really useful (e.g. finding the default password after a hardware factory reset, or having my camera manual on holiday). But I wouldn't want to read PDF for pleasure.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 10:07 am

I prefer my pdf's on paper so print I them off at work, that way I save on paper and ink at home :)