I don't care - Show me the results 17%  17%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 89

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 7:15 am

Hanotaux wrote:
Quote:
Then treat our fellow citizens who are Muslim and not a fringe lunatic group with the same civility."

I think if we had 'White' Americans who identified themselves as a Christian sect, but they basically quoted much of their dogma from the Koran and Jihadists..... and they built a church compound or whatever, the FBI would follow them obsessively even if they tried to isolate themselves, and the government would eventually raid them like the Branch Davidians at Waco.

The point is that even the 'fringe lunatic jihadist Muslims' can go about doing whatever publically, and the government desperately tries not to offend those people. If it was White Christian cultural-Americans who were forumlating terrorist dogma, the Government would spare no effort to repress them, no matter how badly other Christians may be offended by the crushing of their bretheren. This is because Christians in the west don't generally launch violent protests, while Muslims often do.

This kind of tolerance and forbearance will cease with the next "9/11". Recall what American born persons of Japanese ancestry suffered after Pearl Harbor. Once Americans catch on that we are in a war of survival perhaps their attitudes will harden. This is a war in which at most one party will remain standing. The Ummah is out to get us. Jews in particular, but Americans in general.

ruveyn

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 9:56 am

The thing I have to laugh about - a guy with a church that has...what...50 members? He can state that he's burning the Quran/Koran and all of a sudden he's got 15 minutes of fame - broadcast all over the US and then around the world. Its like the cheap backdoor in if you want to get a reality tv show contract.

If we had our heads right as a society we'd assert our values by assuring him that no one's listening.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 10:00 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
The thing I have to laugh about - a guy with a church that has...what...50 members? He can state that he's burning the Quran/Koran and all of a sudden he's got 15 minutes of fame - broadcast all over the US and then around the world. Its like the cheap backdoor in if you want to get a reality tv show contract.

If we had our heads right as a society we'd assert our values by assuring him that no one's listening.

Actually hours of celebrity rather than fifteen minutes of fame. Half of his membership disagreed with him, by the way. And for good reason. They did not want their church bombed or burned down later on.

And not by Muslims, by the way, but by left wing Michael Moore Democrats.

ruveyn

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 12:13 pm

One media network all but ignored this guy: FOX!! !

details on www.mediaite.com

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 3:19 pm

Dox47 wrote:
One media network all but ignored this guy: FOX!! !

details on www.mediaite.com

If that's still true (and they haven't said anything at all) it goes to show that they see this guy as an embarrassment to conservatives, and admittedly they are a conservative station. I guess you could look at that as either good or bad, depending on what your take is on their motives.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 3:22 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Half of his membership disagreed with him, by the way. And for good reason. They did not want their church bombed or burned down later on.

And not by Muslims, by the way, but by left wing Michael Moore Democrats.

ruveyn

If this guy's been thinking this way and giving homilies in the sort of direction to give a hint that he's up for this sort of thing I can see where it wouldn't be disagreement - only 50 people thankfully isn't saying a lot. If Westboro Baptists take up the slack though and something happened to them though, can't say that many would miss them - other than perhaps those who just love eating up junkfood in the news.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 5:01 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Someone already did it.

It took me a moment to get the joke. :lol:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

11 Sep 2010, 6:48 pm

so all this hoopla and nobody even burns a Quran. Gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed in a morbid way.

Werecrocodile
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Sep 2010, 6:56 pm

Burn the Quran, it might be fun.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 5:51 pm

Burn off topic

No go. But a cooler head he did not have. I think he realized how it would affect him "personally." :roll:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 5:54 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
sartresue wrote:
A Qur'an in every pot topic

Now the Jones joker has decided to go to New York on the weekend, and will not be at his church.

Face saving? Now this master at word play has decided to postpone the burning. :roll: Not suspended, as this was yesterday's word. :roll: :roll: :roll:

But they may well be a burning by the Westboro Baptist church. Remember Fred Phelps?

Send a bus full of the cast members from Little Mosque on the Prairie and protest outside his church!! :P
do my spidey senses detect a fellow canuck?

We're everywhere.

Sartresue is an AWESOME Canuck though.

Along came a spider topic

I have been gone all weekend, much like Terry Jones.

Thanks, fellow Canucks. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 7:04 pm

I was sent this after action report about the whole dumb thing and was impressed not only by the content, but by it's source, with whom I tend to disagree (I'll reveal that after the longish quote).

Quote:
This past week we witnessed a herky-jerky jumble of intolerance. Books burned. Flags burned. Bridges burned. Threats were made. Demands were decreed. And absolutely nothing was accomplished. Except a deepening of visceral divide. The soap opera of this week would almost seem silly if the implications were not so sinister.

As much as I detest those who threaten violence to silence those who draw cartoons, I am equally disgusted and condemn the reckless actions of those who try to silence voices by burning books.

While the pastor in Florida called off his plan to burn, a number of others did burn or destroy copies of the Koran. One near Ground Zero. Another in front of the White House. And radical Muslims around the world responded by burning American flags.

Our founders understood how important freedom of speech is to the freedom of man. They managed to defeat the most powerful tyrant on earth in their day without burning or banning a single book. The American experiment was based on mutual respect, acceptance of differing religious beliefs and common decency. Burning anyone’s sacred scripture is an affront to all of these.

The world needs more voices not fewer. More faith not less. It is not God that tells man to hate, kill or stifle thought. It is a fringe understanding of religion. God beckons us to seek His face. I refuse to believe that a loving Father would punish honest and bold questions. But I do believe there must surely be eternal consequences for those who hate or kill in his name.

Let us not fail to recognize that this week we witnessed Christian extremists behaving in ways made infamous by a monster fascist. The reactions by Muslim radicals only mirrored the minds of those in Iran who currently stone people to death for what they call the “sin of homosexuality.”

The world has once again come to a point where it cowers at best and, at worst, appeases crazy and dangerous men of all philosophies of God and man. We must again link arms and unite despite our differences against evils that only wish to destroy or enslave no matter the god they hide behind. “The truth shall set you free” is more than a phrase — it is a universal principle that cannot be changed by a bonfire or suicide vest.

History teaches us what happens to those who not only burn books, but also to those who do not respect freedom of speech — especially when most find it vile and offensive.

In the interest of our very survival, we must again stand for something and recognize the universal laws of what the founders called “nature’s God.” America will be great again when we stop debating whose side God is on and do the work in our own lives so we can rest assured that we are on His side.

All humans must recognize the hour in which we find ourselves and choose love, compassion, understanding and truth. We will not agree on many things. We will have many spirited and passionate debates. But on the words of Jesus of Nazereth we must agree: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

In the end, it will be neither extreme that prevails, but rather those who embrace the ideas that our founders taught were self evident. That all men are created equal and have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We must all teach our families correct principles and allow man to govern himself.

Who's words are these? Check it out:

What can I say, when someone's right, they're right.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 7:10 pm

I say yes, burn it along with the bible.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 7:18 pm

Dox, agreed. It seems like the world in aggregate is slowly turning away from the fringes. I just hope that we keep enough backbone and resolve to remember that they're the enemy and to keep their influence out of the public sphere wherever possible.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 7:18 pm

Meadow wrote:
yes, i agree. and throw in some other religious texts too.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 7:31 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
Meadow wrote:
yes, i agree. and throw in some other religious texts too.

As much as I disagree with religion you do have to respect other peoples beliefs.

I am fine with people having a religion as long as they DON'T try and force it upon me to think the same and DON'T use it as an excuse to mistreat others.