3 18%  18%  [ 13 ]
4 12%  12%  [ 9 ]
5 or older 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 74

-froggo-
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2010, 2:20 pm

I have a few random early memories, but I don't have dates for most of them.

I know, from having mentioned it and then being shown a video of the event, that I have a memory of when I was two years, two months and three days old.

I recall having some playdough and trying to make a line of cylinder/sausage shaped pieces, and that my cousin took this amazing object which could make the desired shape and showed me how to use it. I then abandon this god-like item and went back to doing in manually and I pretty much forgot about the rest of the room, only to become incredibly irritated when my grandmother interrupted me with some stupid question, which was clearly quite obvious.

(The video shows that she asked "What colour is the playdough, [myrlname]", when clearly it was blue. She had to ask me five times to get a one-worded reply, although, apparently, I was quite able to speak in sentances to people I wanted to. :D Good to know I had my priorities in order!)

Edit: I forgot to mention that this sausage-shape contraption, turned out just to be a simple toy...

ElliotH
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Nov 2010, 4:57 pm

I remember being 3 years old and my mum telling me that I had to give up my dummy and drink out of a real cup not a baby cup otherwise I would never turn 4.

I remember being having pins and needles and my mum telling me to jump up and down on one leg and then my older brothers started jumping up and down as well and we all started laughing when my younger brother tried to join us but he had only just learnt to walk so he fell over :)

My next memory is when I was about 5 and my mum was yelling at my teacher because she had told my mum she was a bad parent because one of my older brothers has ADHD, i have aspergers and my younger brother had bad speech problems so required a teaching aid until he was 8.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 11:13 am

Wow, I didn't know it was so rare to have the earliest memory from age 5 or older. I think mine is from age 5. I have been wondering what actually happened to me during those 5 years, because I don't think my parents have told me much about it, nor do I think I have seen many photos or anything else. I can imagine my mother being a horrible mother to an infant and small child though. I wonder how much that potentially has contributed to the big blank in my memory. I have crappy short-time memory as well. And as for long term memory after the age of 5 I have wondered if my memory is perhaps bad there too, but I don't know.

Bezeone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2015, 5:28 pm

I believe it was when I was 1, when I was being carried around K-Mart. (I think I was 1, at least.)

Scissor...me
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2015, 7:38 pm

I was three and I lived in France for a year. But we had just gotten there for a few days. And my toys and stuff was on a ship on the way there because we used to live in an other country. And I brought a few things with me to keep myself occupied while my stuff was shipping. But my stuff arrived late and I was wondering where it was.

Sarah xx

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 7:38 pm

I have memories of being in my stroller when I was 1 or 2 years old. I remember the ever-present smell of vomit at that time. I remember some Four Seasons songs on the radio. This was the early 1960s.

I remember when we moved to a new apartment when I was 3.

My memories were quite fragmentary while I was nonverbal.

My first "complete" memories are from when I was 5 1/2. This was right after I started to speak. I learned to speak at a "research camp" known as Harrelson. I have vivid memories from that time.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 3:56 am

I also have a few random memories, but no assigned date to them either. I think most of it goes back to ages 3-4. I have a few glimpses of preschool, including vivid memories of the structure and design of the building (I'm best at remembering those types of things). I remember running around screaming on the playground for no particular reason. I remember being picked up on some random day by my mom and great-grandmother. I think that's the most detailed I can recall.

I also have some flashes of living at my first house. Again, I remember the architecture quite well, if not better than anything else. I remember one time waking up from a nightmare where an ant bit my foot and calling for my mom to put a Band-Aid on it (she did). I remember playing with an Ultraman action figure and losing a small part of it behind the stove. I remember hearing someone ring the doorbell when my mom was in the shower and getting super nervous about it. I remember getting a diaper change in my bathroom (still around 3-4. I was...a slow learner).

That's as early as I get. The rest of it has been lost to time. -_-

b9
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 4:12 am

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 5:42 am

The following is in fact the very first paragraph of my auto-biography:-

“Is that Daddy?” are the first words I recall uttering as I looked down from our top floor flat in Scrutton Street, Shoreditch, to see a lone figure shrouded in a 1959 London fog walking past the fire escape below. “No”, replied Mother without even needing to look. My first and only memory of my Father, and it wasn't even him, just an anonymous stranger, unaware of imprinting himself on the memory of an infant boy, at least reminding me that I must have once held the notion of having my own father, of being part of a family, for by this stage though my mother and I still lived in an apartment provided by the company which employed my father, he had already exchanged my Mother for an eighteen year old Swedish Au Pair.

I can place my age at being anything under 18 months as by 18 months I had been separated from my Mother to live with my Grandmother.
Year later I went back to the address on my birth certificate to see those fire escapes, just as I remember them.

I do have earlier memories that are more vague, I can remember as a baby not liking the way our dog would lick my face.

Greenhat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jan 2015, 7:34 am

I'm not sure exactly, but the earliest one off the top of my head is from preschool when I was 4. I was doing badly at a game, and I was crying, but then I figured it out and got the right answer.

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

01 Feb 2015, 11:09 am

My earliest memories vary from the ages of 1.5 to 3 years of age.

At the age of 1.5 I remember wearing red tights, little black shoes and a dress.. And walking in the walking whilst holding my mom's hand.

I can even remember some of the dreams I had at the age of 2 and the day I had the dream. I remember I had a nightmare on the night of the 31st of October 2000.

At the time we lived in a flat and there were many trick or treaters coming to the door.. I remember my parents opening the door and calling me to have a look at the costumes.. I can remember the tall figures, towering over me at the dooe, they were so tall I had to look up just to see their faces.. These guys wore frightening skeleton masks and it frightened the hell out of me... All of the masks were scary.

Later on that night, I had a nightmare about all of the Halloween costumes... The skeletons were the most prominent in the dream.. My little brother had suddenly morphed into an evil monster.. And I woke up really upset.

I can also remember a dream I had when I was 3... It was a dream about Disney's Cinderella.. But for some reason the plot had changed... And Cinderella had a cross over with Pinnochio.

I also can remember the time my parents were play fighting.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2015, 12:56 am

I think I was 2 1/2 years old - my first memory was reading an old Verizon (I believe? Or was it GTE?) phone book for the Seattle area and looking through the dentist and attorney sections. Was just curious :)

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 1:14 am

I think my first memory was getting out of my crib when I was two.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 1:43 am

half my life is a blur. it bugs me.

my 'earliest memory', i have a few choices..

>this may have been a dream from a later period, or not, but i can recall being right outside a hospital-like building, it was late at night and everything had a very deep, navy blue tint to it. it was nit just the darkness, but it was almost as if everything, the sky, the buildings, were tinted blue, or i was seeing the world through blue cellophane.

the strangest part, was i was SEEING MY PARENT'S OWN VAN from the outside, not from the inside looking in, like i was perched on something.

flash forward, i am inside a hospital room with all sorts of sinister looking gadgets, hooks, pincers, scythes, a large room, like some sort of torture chamber, and again with the blue tint.

i can only conclude that this was my younger sister's birth. i was two. but why would my mother choose to deliver my sister in a dark torture chamber of all places??

(i know. the latter parts are most likely a figment of my imagination, or it wasn't my sisters birth at all. if not, what?)

>being in mexico, around four years old. i remember a toy train, chopped ham, wanting 80 spanks (in retrospect, i was given around 15, but he counted to 'ochenta'), EXTREMELY crowded streets, and stopping at a corner store to get a dum dum lollipop. i went to that same place, with the same people, earlier this very month.

>living in an apartment, and walking around wearing a baby 'leotard' or one piece or whatever it is called.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I remember when we moved to a new apartment when I was 3

i remember moving AWAY from the above mentioned apartment when i was around 5, to the house we live in currently. it was independence day here in the states, we saw the fireworks on the same day i recall our (ex) fridge being carried away on an old pickup.

the first dream i have about someone or someplace always holds a special place in my heart.

i hope none of you guys develop memory loss, or if it has happened, that it does not worsen. they're a wonderful thing to have, and more importantly to me, to share. :)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 5:50 pm

The earliest age I can place is a month under age 3. I didnt know at the time, but my baby sister had just passed the one-year mark (born 7/20/98). I was at Sears in a small room, watching her picture taken.

i remember a few weeks prior as well. I was about 34 months I believe.