Do you feel like an outsider, even here at Wrong Planet?

Page 14 of 14 [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Do ya
Aye 82%  82%  [ 289 ]
Nay 18%  18%  [ 65 ]
Total votes : 354

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 1:25 am

While I feel mostly at home here there are some areas where I don't.

Writing Style/Intelligence: I feel I am much less verbose, and my grammar and spelling is inferior to most posters. While I do feel my intelligence is fine it is well below the average member.

I feel I am the only one here (and elsewhere) who still cares about Aspergers as a positive identity and reverting the DSM 5

I feel my sensory dysfunctions are much less then most posters here. While I do not feel it makes me any less Aspie-Autistic but it does make some of my experiences much different.

But overall I have much more in common with most posters here then I do with the neuromajority.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 3:53 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
While I feel mostly at home here there are some areas where I don't.

Writing Style/Intelligence: I feel I am much less verbose, and my grammar and spelling is inferior to most posters. While I do feel my intelligence is fine it is well below the average member.

I don't think there's anything wrong with not being verbose. I actually had to train myself to make my posts shorter because no one replied to me.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 10:05 am

I do not understand what many write on here.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 10:17 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I feel I am the only one here (and elsewhere) who still cares about Aspergers as a positive identity and reverting the DSM 5

No, you're not. I wouldn't give up being an Aspie for anything. It gives me some really cool talents and abilities. I've always said, if they came up with a medication that could take away my Aspieness, I wouldn't take it. I'm not sick. This is who I am. It's who I've always been and I like myself just the way I am. I'm not real sociable but that suits me.

I don't care what the big wigs decide now. I've been diagnosed twice as having AS. It took me a long time to come to terms with it. In the end, the more I learnt about it, the more I knew it was me. Now I'm used to it and they want to do away with it?! I'm an Aspie. Always have been an Aspie and always will be an Aspie. I don't care what they say now. It's the best, closest... - No - Exact thing that's come to explain to me what's been going on in my life, why I am how I am and how I got to be this way. It just fits like a hand in a glove. They had it right with the diagnosis of Asperger's and to take it away was their mistake.

I am and always will be an Aspie!

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 10:47 pm

I love it in here. 8)

TheBraveSirRobin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2014, 3:45 am

katzefrau wrote:
I belong to myself. I think that feeling is innate and irrelevant to any group, online or otherwise, that anyone would have me in.

If I met one person in real life to whom I felt visible, that would be enough for me.

But often enough here I read someone else's words that resonate, and it does lessen the isolation, ever so slightly.

This is how I feel when I am on WrongPlanet most of the time, looking through threads with people of the same interests as me saying all kinds of different things in different ways, but every once in a while finding the words or the nature of what of someone else said to simply be something I can understand, through and through.

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 6:19 am

I feel very welcome/accepted here, almost homey. :)

I considered the poll options a bit confusing though as they are definitely "not mainstream", had to check thrice before really submitting my vote on nay. :lol:

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 2:03 pm

I don't feel that I've ever truly fit in here, for a number of reasons. I think parts of this forum and how it's run can be detrimental to a lot of people here, largely in the area of discussion. Specifically when they turn into an argument due to insult, at least one mod (won't name names) that I've seen, has a hard time seeing what starts an issue to begin with, and 9 times out of 10 will blame the person receiving the insult instead of the insulter themselves. I've been on the receiving end of that myself and it's lead to me feeling that I can't freely defend myself here without having the backlash of that mod, if not all of them. So essentially, the message that I've personally gotten (not in so many words, mind you) is that anyone can say anything to anyone, unless they do so in defense of an attack. That's just one reason why I don't fit in here, because I'll never just sit down and "take it", I've done that my whole life and the only thing that does is enable people to continue saying what they do because they know you won't say anything about it.

Parts of this place need serious changing, specifically what I just listed above.

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 3:28 pm

Every once in a while I will feel kind of "left out" or hesitant about posting, especially during a discussion, because I am afraid that people will misinterpret whatever I'm trying to say. :oops:

Other than that I always feel really accepted here. :) It's an awesome community.