Do you feel like an outsider, even here at Wrong Planet?

Page 13 of 14 [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Do ya
Aye 82%  82%  [ 289 ]
Nay 18%  18%  [ 65 ]
Total votes : 354

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 6:41 pm

pokerface wrote:
I'm getting a bit fed up with all these people who have diagnosed themselves with questionable online tests.
I think that it's almost impossible to diagnose yourself. You can only suspect that you may have aspergers and if that is the case you should get yourself an official diagnosis.

I bet that half of the people on this forum don't even have aspergers. Do you think it's interesting to be an aspie or something? Well, it isn't interesting so get real! Do you think that all of the problems you are experiencing in life can be explained be an online test? If only that where true. I prefer to communicate with people with whom I really have something in common with.

I am going to spend my time in a more productive manner for the time being.
Bye now!

:evil:

I come here because I find the forum, and the people here, interesting and also because I don't feel like quite so much of an oddball as I do in other places. The topics of conversation and the style of conversation are much more interesting to read than on most forums where there is a lot of banter going back and forth between people about nothing much of any real importance of all.

Do I have an ASD, I don't know, which is why I selected 'Not sure if I have it or not' on my profile. I am not comfortable selecting 'Aspergers undiagnosed' as I don't have a diagnosis, have never been officially tested and am a bit pedantic in regards to accuracy. I don't like saying I have something if I am not sure I have it.

As for do we think it's interesting to be an aspie, not as such, but I have several online friends who have aspergers and I do find them fun and fascinating to talk to. They make more sense than most people I meet...and they are as quirky as me in some ways. So what can I say, I like them.

Does that mean I desire to have aspergers? No, but I would like to know what has caused my life long social issues etc. It's a curiosity thing.

Even if I do turn out to be a really weird NT, I would still like coming here though.

Looneytunes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2012, 6:51 pm

When I go somewhere, I usually go by myself.
If it is somewhere - where there is some sort of social interaction with other people who knows me, I might end up in a fight because some people gets mad at me when I tell them how stupid they are or what they were doing wrong.

I owned a dirt track stock car racing team once for about 2 years.
I spent $18,000.00 in 18 nights of racing, because people were always running into my car, tearing it up.
Sometimes they would even run into it and wreck it after the race was over and I was going to the scales.

The track owners and the police wouldn't do anything about it, so I stopped racing and going to the races.

Some people didn't like going to the races with me because they were afraid that they were going to get beat up also.

One night at a bar, one of the idiots that was causing trouble at the tracks was there and he was high on cocaine.
He did about $1800 in damages to my Avalanche that night and the police did nothing to him - not even in court.
So I reported him about 6 months later, when he had made a major dope deal and he was caught with drugs in his car and dealing and they sent him to jail for a couple of years and now no one messes with me because they know if they do that I will get something on them and they will be more sorry then if they had just walked away.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 10:46 pm

Longshanks wrote:
Sure I do. The minute the liberals find out I'm a :evil: conservative :evil: , they attack me like a pack of sharks smelling blood. It reminds me of the movie Zulu. :?: I have to beat 'em all off at once. :twisted:

:twisted: Longshanks
:twisted:

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 11:56 pm

pokerface wrote:
Longshanks wrote:
Sure I do. The minute the liberals find out I'm a :evil: conservative :evil: , they attack me like a pack of sharks smelling blood. It reminds me of the movie Zulu. :?: I have to beat 'em all off at once. :twisted:

:twisted: Longshanks
:twisted:

I rest my case: liberal hypocracy at it's best! :eew:

Supporter of the Brian Terry Foundation @ www.honorbrianterry.com. Special Agent Brian Terry (1970-2010) was murdered as a direct result of Operation Fast & Furious - which Barry O won't discuss - wonder why?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 2:06 am

pokerface wrote:
I'm getting a bit fed up with all these people who have diagnosed themselves with questionable online tests. I think that it's almost impossible to diagnose yourself. You can only suspect that you may have aspergers and if that is the case you should get yourself an official diagnosis.

we aren't all quite as privileged as you with your gold-plated private health insurance coverage that covers the dear cost of such "official" tests. :roll:
pokerface wrote:
I bet that half of the people on this forum don't even have aspergers. Do you think it's interesting to be an aspie or something? Well, it isn't interesting so get real! Do you think that all of the problems you are experiencing in life can be explained by an online test? If only that were true. I prefer to communicate with people with whom I really have something in common.

we all have more in common than you imagine. :hmph: to each their own.

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 6:36 pm

edited for being an ass.

carry on....

Last edited by goodwitchy on 28 Feb 2012, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mithos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 7:40 pm

I have no idea if I belong or not. I just signed up so I can shoot my mouth off. Or in this case fire away text from my keyboard. :D

Edit: Just take a look at my Joined Date and number of posts I've made. I LOVE IT HERE!

Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 10:25 pm

goodwitchy wrote:
Hi pokerface - several people have already responded to your quote below: -

pokerface wrote:
I'm getting a bit fed up with all these people who have diagnosed themselves with questionable online tests.
I think that it's almost impossible to diagnose yourself. You can only suspect that you may have aspergers and if that is the case you should get yourself an official diagnosis.

I bet that half of the people on this forum don't even have aspergers. Do you think it's interesting to be an aspie or something? Well, it isn't interesting so get real! Do you think that all of the problems you are experiencing in life can be explained by an online test? If only that where true. I prefer to communicate with people with whom I really have something in common.

I am going to spend my time in a more productive manner for the time being.
Bye now!

:evil:

And I can understand why you may feel this way, although I think auntblabby and bumble made excellent points and I agree with them.

Perhaps there should be a section of this forum open only to professionally diagnosed people, although that would exclude many of us. While it's probably less common for AS and Autistic people to lie, if we wanted, we could all choose the option in our profile : "Have Aspergers - Diagnosed", which I hope if anyone has done this, that it's an extremely rare occurrence.

We all share an interest and things in common, even though we have vast differences of opinion and belief. This forum provides us with a place to gather where we can learn more about AS, Autism, and about ourselves.

I'd like to also respond to your general question, do I think it's interesting to have Asperger's? - My response is: No, if I do have it (and I don't know 100% for sure). It's not "fun" or "interesting" to be anxious, often depressed, alienated, socially awkward, and intense. However, it does seem like many diagnosed (and undiagnosed) people here have risen far above the typical traits and symptoms of diagnosis, and I find them to be excellent inspiration for all of us - diagnosed and undiagnosed.

8)

My test scores mean nothing medically, but I will include my signature here.

Overall, without trying to step on anyone's toes, an official diagnosis, in my view, is a good thing. And please read this carefully before going up like a rocket ship. When my wife and I were trying to figure out what in tarnation was the matter with me, she had hypothesized that it was AS once we had been married about 6 months. She was trained in early childhood and special ed so she pretty much had the training to spot it. But at first she discounted it because of my success in the military, the fact that she and I had a great relationship, and that I had retained some close friendships. A little over 8 years of marriage pass and I wind up having some issues with the in-laws. Then she asked me if I thought I had it. I had no idea. Never even heard of AS. I tried one of these on line tests and scored positive. I then followed up with a neuropsychiatrist and wound up scoring a higher aspie score than I did the online test.

Having said all of that, if I had tested negative on the online test, I might have ignored the idea. The online test gave me the gumption to have a professional check me out. I'm glad it worked out that way. So, online tests do have their uses - but they don't tell you everything because there are other conditions that mimmick AS, such as OCD, that can be medicated and treated. AS is a different critter entirely because it's physical and there is no cure. So, advantage one to getting a diagnosis is knowing what you have so that you have some sure direction and a set of options for handling the situation. :idea:

Advantage 2 would be legal. Now, as I've said in a previous post, the various federal judicial circuits are torn on aspies - basically evenly split. Some opt that aspies are covered under the ADA. Others are the opposite. This is because the psych profesionals are split as to whether AS is in the spectrum of autism or not - and autism is covered under the ADA. But the pendulum is gradually swinging toward the autism spectrum. If you live in a circuit that favors AS, you may have some legal advantages including vocational rehab. These are things to check out.

It all depends on where you live and the services that are available along with the set of laws governing them.

In the same token, like any other forum, there are, in my opinion, a few self-proclaimed aspies out there who act far from it. And yes, they irritate me to no end. I simply take these people with about a molecule of a grain of salt and move on. The United States does not outlaw all forms stupidity. Reckless behavior causing other people harm is outlawed. Acting like a harmless fool isn't.

Longshanks

Supporter of the Brian Terry Foundation @ www.honorbrianterry.com. Special Agent Brian Terry (1970-2010) was murdered as a direct result of Operation Fast & Furious - which Barry O won't discuss - wonder why?

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 11:05 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Fern wrote:
Even on WP I'm bad at coaxing people to converse with me.
...actually, I think I might even be better at conversation in real life than in here. I'm told my appearance is very non-threatening so many people I don't know speak to me daily. In here I seldom get responses to my posts though.

when you consider that there are 60,000 odd WPers [of which a sizable portion are lurkers], getting a reply to one's post [which is just one out of thousands] should be considered an exception rather than the rule. :idea:

:heart: I am touched by your exception.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 12:16 am

Fern wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Fern wrote:
Even on WP I'm bad at coaxing people to converse with me.
...actually, I think I might even be better at conversation in real life than in here. I'm told my appearance is very non-threatening so many people I don't know speak to me daily. In here I seldom get responses to my posts though.

when you consider that there are 60,000 odd WPers [of which a sizable portion are lurkers], getting a reply to one's post [which is just one out of thousands] should be considered an exception rather than the rule. :idea:

:heart: I am touched by your exception.

i have a lurker versus poster thread floating around here someplace. :duh:

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 11:34 pm

TheAnomaly wrote:
I agree with you, as if that matters, I too have never fit in anywhere. It's extremely rare when anyone is interested in me or what I have to say unless they can use me for something and discard me later. I only joined recently but it seems WrongPlanet is no exception. I read other people’s views on here all the time, and totally relate, then I foolishly get all excited about finally having friends, and then crushed hopes again when I am again snubbed or criticized yet again. I have not had more than one reply to any of my posts, and they are rarely replied to on any forum. I try really hard to be a nice loving open-minded non-judgmental person, because it's really probably all I have to offer, but nobody cares if you are a nice person, only people that want to use you and discard you. All people seem to care about is your ego, your job, whether you have kids, your prestige, your car, your bank account, your IQ. If you have anyone of those things to brag about, you probably won't give a stuff about anyone else, and people will love you for it. Arrogant bastards get more out of life, while sweet souls are roasted on the spit. Going to say more on this subject, but really, WTFP? :(

I hear ya!
It's only taken 2 years, 24 days, 4 hours, 23 minutes & 12 seconds for me to respond but I hear ya!

And yes, you're (partially) right. People only care about themselves and what they want. Where you're wrong is, people who have money, prestige, IQ, kids etc. people don't love you for it. They actually want to take these things from you and kill you - or at least they did in the olden days when that sort of thing was allowed.

These days, all they can do is pretend to like you in case they cop some lucky spinoffs of the person's wealth, trips out on their cabin cruiser or get to drive their Ferrari but secretly despise them, get eaten up with jealousy and end up all bitter and twisted because they're not allowed to kill you anymore.

Even most religiously motivated people need a reward for being nice to other people. Can you imagine a religion that asks you to devote your entire life to doing nice things for other people but you won't get your reward in heaven or anywhere else, EVER. Your reward is seeing the other person happy. "That's It". Religion would take a sudden dive into extinction.

Face it! That's Life! People are self-centred. Even babies scream like it's their God given right to demand feeding, changing and whatever else the hell they scream for. And speaking of which, not too many people are jealous of other people's kids - not if they've got one of the screaming, pooping, eating, perking machines themselves - and as if that's not bad enough, they grow up spending all of your money on the way, hit their teens and then hate your guts until either you die, or they live to be old enough to realise they didn't really know everything and that you're not such a bad person.

Ahhh, that feels better.
Want a kid?

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 12:13 pm

I kind of feel like I belong here and I kind of don't. I also enjoy some NT online communities, so I don't think my belonging or lack of belonging is related to my neurology. I like posting here because I usually get quick and interesting replies. Most of the other forums I visit aren't as active.

Norepinephrine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Mar 2014, 1:00 pm

Yes and yes. Even here I feel like an outcast.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 1:25 am

While I feel mostly at home here there are some areas where I don't.

Writing Style/Intelligence: I feel I am much less verbose, and my grammar and spelling is inferior to most posters. While I do feel my intelligence is fine it is well below the average member.

I feel I am the only one here (and elsewhere) who still cares about Aspergers as a positive identity and reverting the DSM 5

I feel my sensory dysfunctions are much less then most posters here. While I do not feel it makes me any less Aspie-Autistic but it does make some of my experiences much different.

But overall I have much more in common with most posters here then I do with the neuromajority.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 3:53 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
While I feel mostly at home here there are some areas where I don't.

Writing Style/Intelligence: I feel I am much less verbose, and my grammar and spelling is inferior to most posters. While I do feel my intelligence is fine it is well below the average member.

I don't think there's anything wrong with not being verbose. I actually had to train myself to make my posts shorter because no one replied to me.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 10:05 am

I do not understand what many write on here.