Do you feel like an outsider, even here at Wrong Planet?

Page 1 of 14 [ 217 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Do ya
Aye 82%  82%  [ 289 ]
Nay 18%  18%  [ 65 ]
Total votes : 354

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 2:15 am

Topic body as title.

Tacobean
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Sep 2010, 2:19 am

Most definately!

adHDbadHDbad
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Sep 2010, 2:27 am

:ncool:

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 2:38 am

No.

Some people are as odd as I am (albeit in a different way) that I've never felt like an outsider around here.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 2:42 am

yes, I feel like I am an outsider here, in second life and the world in general

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 2:49 am

Definitely. It's partially because I've never been tested or diagnosed (due to lack of insurance & lack of income)-- I just have a very strong suspicion-- & I know a lot of people here don't like those on this site who haven't been diagnosed yet. I feel judged because of that by people & immediately disliked by some because of it. & also because I've never felt like I belonged anywhere, so this place is no different. Even if I were fortunate enough to get tested &/or diagnosed, I would still feel like an outsider.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 2:56 am

Sometimes, but who cares? Does anyone here actually know you? If they're only responding because you have 453,343 posts, or because they know you have autism, what losers. Seriously.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 2:58 am

Is that not part of what makes us fit in here?!

jpfudgeworth
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Sep 2010, 3:01 am

I havent been tested by a professional but I deeply believe that I belong here. I am usually worried about not knowing certain e-community rules, but I am much less worried about offending people on this forum. I sense less hostility here, for sure. Most of the time in the real world I think Im somehow sticking out.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 3:20 am

I do even now. D: I mean even though I'm autistic, I feel like I just don't belong here. When really, I should fit right in since at least some people know what's like having autism. I guess maybe its interest-based so the lack of interest here is I really haven't met anyone that actually understands me yet. Some people try to but my mind is just so screwed up that even I don't know my own mind sometimes. It's just so hard to explain that at times people get confused by why I type like i do, or why I'm not so disabled with the way I am and I do too. I wonder but then I always remember that a lot of times its basically the anxiety that comes with what I do. I can get worked up over nothing and still have a meltdown. But yet I still wonder how well adjusted I am to things than you guys are. I don't have meltdowns that often and haven't had one since like a few months ago. My autism seems to vary on so many levels that I don't know what it really is. I just want to have one best friend who actually understands what this is like and more. Maybe that's what I'm looking for here. Someone who knows what its like when people try to understand you but then kick you to the curb for saying the wrong things and someone who also enjoys Japanese music/anime too. I was diagnosed with a FORM of autism they considered being mild but I think it varies depending on situations that I am in. I was diangosed at nine but then I wonder if its gotten worse because of stress, school problems, stuff like that. It's just hard to say. I don't really quite know how to explain anymore than that.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 3:24 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Sometimes, but who cares? Does anyone here actually know you? If they're only responding because you have 453,343 posts, or because they know you have autism, what losers. Seriously.

I think you're reading in. I'm not talking about belonging to cliques or being a forum celeb or anything silly like that. Just feeling... connected.

I feel a yearning to 'belong' somewhere, and for a richer social experience than I can provide for myself. I think that making this thread helped me come to acceptance. I think I'm just looking for something that isn't here.

Last edited by Moog on 10 Sep 2010, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 3:26 am

lyricalillusions wrote:
Definitely. It's partially because I've never been tested or diagnosed (due to lack of insurance & lack of income)-- I just have a very strong suspicion-- & I know a lot of people here don't like those on this site who haven't been diagnosed yet. I feel judged because of that by people & immediately disliked by some because of it. & also because I've never felt like I belonged anywhere, so this place is no different. Even if I were fortunate enough to get tested &/or diagnosed, I would still feel like an outsider.

I don't know that lack of a diagnosis is generally considered such a bad thing, here. I've not experienced any overt 'snubbing' or whatever from the diagnosed members. I suspect that your final conclusion is correct.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 3:50 am

Moog wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:

I think you're reading in. I'm not talking about belonging to cliques or being a forum celeb or anything silly like that. Just feeling... connected.

I feel a yearning to 'belong' somewhere, and for a richer social experience than I can provide for myself. I think that making this thread helped me come to acceptance. I think I'm just looking for something that isn't here.

yeah I think everyone feels like an outsider, esp people on the spectrum.

Ive always felt I was not meant for this world, like my life was a mistake, and seperate and not belonging. I thought when I found out about aspergers it would be at last a place I felt I belonged but it was not. I would even say that I felt more of an outsider in the aspie community (esp aspievillage.org) than I have in some other places.

It has often made me doubt my diagnosis as I thought how could I have aspergers when Im so different to them.

I think acceptance of being alone and acceptance of aspergers is a long ongoing process.

I found touching the earth meditations (where you visualise your interbeing and connectedness to all life and animals and mountains) very helpful in making me feel less alone and apart.

jaspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Sep 2010, 3:57 am

It is a little too early for me to make a pre-emptive judgment on WP,I am definitely feel like an outsider outside of WP.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 4:20 am

lotusblossom wrote:
Moog wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:

Ive always felt I was not meant for this world, like my life was a mistake, and seperate and not belonging. I thought when I found out about aspergers it would be at last a place I felt I belonged but it was not. I would even say that I felt more of an outsider in the aspie community (esp aspievillage.org) than I have in some other places.

It has often made me doubt my diagnosis as I thought how could I have aspergers when Im so different to them.

I think acceptance of being alone and acceptance of aspergers is a long ongoing process.

I found touching the earth meditations (where you visualise your interbeing and connectedness to all life and animals and mountains) very helpful in making me feel less alone and apart.

Hi lotus blossom. Thanks for your insight. I think my acceptance comes and goes, it's never 'finished'.

When I have a strong meditation practice I tend to feel a lot better about things. I should probably quit chasing social connectivity and get back on my cushion. I like your earth meditation. Maybe you don't mean literally touching the earth, but I like walking barefoot to feel connected to the earth.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 4:30 am

Moog wrote:
lotusblossom wrote:
Moog wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:

Hi lotus blossom. Thanks for your insight. I think my acceptance comes and goes, it's never 'finished'.

When I have a strong meditation practice I tend to feel a lot better about things. I should probably quit chasing social connectivity and get back on my cushion. I like your earth meditation. Maybe you don't mean literally touching the earth, but I like walking barefoot to feel connected to the earth.

I did mean literally. It helps to touch the earth like buddha did when harrassed by mara, mara said to buddha that he was alone and buddha reached down and touched the earth and replied that he was never alone as he had the earth. I find it helps to sit on the floor and touch the earth with one hand and visualise roots going down from me into the earth and being joined with it all, imagiing I am to the earth like a hair on my arm is to me, that we are all one.