Corn Issues (FAIR WARNING-digestive talk)

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 6:58 am

Does anyone have issues with corn? A few years back, i was chronically having "fast moving" issues. I identified whole kernel corn as the culprit, i cut it out all together and the issues went away for the most part. every so often, the issue would come back. usually after eating tacos. i systematically eliminated all potential triggers raw lettuce-cheese-sour cream-hot sauce- beef seasoning and finally: taco shells. taco shells being made from corn, i believe were causing my troubles. I switched to white flour tortillas and added back all of my toppings. alas no issues!

High fructose corn syrup and popcorn have no effect on me, so wonder what part of the corn does not like me.

Anyone else have issues with corn? as far as i know, its mostly north and south americans who eat corn, from what i read, most other cultures deem corn worthy of livestock feed, not for human consumption.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Sep 2010, 7:39 am

thechadmaster wrote:
Does anyone have issues with corn?

Yes!

I didn't really notice until after I had cut gluten out, ( gluten disturbed my guts too, aswell as my mental health, though I had become so used to the constant background inflammation, the regular bloating, etc that it was a huge shock to me when I did first cut gluten out to realise just how much pain and "distress" I had been experiencing without being aware of it ... I think I "tuned it out"/turned down the volume of my vagus-nerve signals, in infancy ... such that I no longer felt very much below the waist after that :lol ... :( ).

I had really only eaten corn in cornflakes and custard before going gf ... but I started eating a lot of corn chips to replace crackers, etc, and began to notice a sort of dull ache in my guts. ... I thought that it might the flavouring on them because I discovered that they use gluten/wheat flour as a sort of "glue" for spices etc, but even when I ate plain corn chips I had problems. And then more recently when I tried using pure corn flour to make cakes/cookies my guts absolutely exploded, ... twice, so there was no doubt about it. :(

Scientists have just begun to study corn "gluten". It is not the same as wheat, rye, and barley gluten, but it is a plant storage protein, and they tend to be very big, ( gluten is the biggest protein molecule that we ever eat ), and are designed to protect the "store" from being eaten; ie. are intended as "deterrents".

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 8:29 am

wheat has never given me trouble, im lucky i guess since there seems to be a large number of aspies reporting wheat intolerance. i dont know what i would do without wheat, corn i can live without.

funny thing though. when i was much younger, i noticed that milk and acidic foods gave me the trots. each by themself, i handled fine, but if i had a meal that included ketchup mustard, vinegar or anything containing vinegar and also had a milk product, i paid the price.

thats not so much the case now, but every so often, it will come back to haunt me.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Sep 2010, 10:26 am

Yes, corn is an issue for me. I still eat it now and then, but while popcorn doesn't have too severe an effect, I can't consume things like corn tortilla chips, corn chips, or taco shells. Go figure! Also, cooked corn doesn't seem to bother me, such as corn on the cob or in mixed veggies.