I never cared about my future, just as long as they kept me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Qi
Raven
Raven

10 Sep 2010, 8:04 am

College was my sanctuary. It was the only place that made me feel happy. Back at home, I just sit and rot, not able to get jobs, wasting my time. I never cared about graduation or the future. If anything, I dreaded it, because college life is all what I really wanted.

Unfortunately, this led to my dismissal, and rejection. Now I'm back at home, not knowing what to do with myself. I've never felt happy for any significant period of time anywhere else, and I'm not exaggerating.

Is it weird that my priorities are so misplaced?

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 9:24 am

I wish I could go to college forever, unfortunately that requires money. Outside of college I feel completely lost - but priorities are only as good as they make you happy. People around me want families and big houses and fancy cars and lots of stuff, so they make those things priorities - I could care less about those - maybe try to find those aspects of college that you enjoyed and pursue them outside of school? I really enjoy learning, so I set aside time to study things I find interesting.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 9:47 am

Plenty of people would like to be perpetual students. It's not misplaced priorities to value learning and the academic environment.

Perhaps you could apply for jobs at a nearby college or university? I worked as a departmental secretary and later as a archiving assistant because I loved the campus and people of my alma mater.

jec6613
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2010, 11:05 am

You could keep going to school until you have your Ph.D. and then teach. :)

genedig65
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Sep 2010, 12:04 pm

So you were dismissed from university. So was I. For me, the typical college setting just didn't work out. I spent too much time not going to class. However, when I transferred to a community college, I did much better. Why not work part time and then attend community college? If you pick up the right job, they might even pay for your education. After you get enough credits, go back to the university.

That having been said, you might want to try a different university rather than the one you were dismissed from. I know would never go back to the U. of MD. When I was dismissed back in 1986, I went to community college for a while and then worked full time. Over the years, I picked up a few more college credits, taking a few classes every now and then. By 2001, 15 years after my dismissal from the University of Maryland, I was ready to return. Did you know that after 15 years, I still had to petition the reinstatement board and would only be re-admitted as a probationary student? Needless to say, I took my money elsewhere.