Is there anything to celebrate?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2010, 8:39 am

Do you have any small or big accomplishments you would like to share in regard to your child?

I actually have quite a few!

Here they are, from this week:

-not one phone call from the school
-eye testing is completed and I get the results today
-my son took 2 showers this week
-he changed his shorts twice
-he wore a clean, different shirt every day this week
-he let his little baby brother hug his legs 3 times this week without yelling at him and freaking out

Blanketyblank
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Sep 2010, 8:47 am

Oh well done to him :D

Mine this week is my son eating some stew (he has issues with gravy) and giving me "64% out of 100%" for dinner lol :lol: and being dry at night for 6 days on the run.

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 9:02 am

Great idea for a thread! Congrats to your son on his accomplishments Bjtao!

Here are ours:

-a smooth, calm first day of school for both my boys
-both of them so patient and brave at the dentist, and when E threw up because of the dental hygienist's probing, he did not melt down, but calmly let me help him clean up (I was AMAZED!)
-letting me take a first day of school picture and trying to smile for the camera
-washing their own hair in the bath, and doing a reasonably acceptable job of it!
-figuring out Game Maker software mostly on their own this summer, and creating several games with Game Maker and on Spore Galactic Adventures

And this is the big one...drum roll please...
-dancing with the bride (my sister) and my mom at my sister's wedding this summer. It was one of my all time proudest parenting moments. I actually burst into tears. We had been practicing dancing for a couple of weeks beforehand, and the agreement was that if they could handle it, they would each dance with my mom & sister at her wedding and then we would leave the dance. I had assured them that lots of people would be dancing and no one would be staring at them, but at the dance the stupid DJ went and announced that the bride was going to have special dances with her nephews, and so everyone cleared the floor. At that moment I thought for sure they would balk, and I would not have blamed them in the least, but they each marched over to their respective partner and politely offered their arm and asked for a dance exactly as we'd taught them. I was deeply impressed with their bravery, and sooooo proud. Immediately following their dances, they came to me in unison, with big smiles on their faces, and said "And now we go, right?" So they viewed the dancing like their "get out of jail free" ticket. :lol: So that was our BIG celebratory moment this summer. For kids who hate to touch, hate crowds, hate being stared at and hate noise, including music...what an accomplishment!! !

Mahini
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Sep 2010, 9:07 am

Thats fantastic! well done to him and for you having something to celebrate!

I have nothing new to celebrate as yet (fingers crossed i will soon) my daughter will only wear the one outfit, thank god she has school uniform lol, she wears a black pair of leggings has to be a certain material, a black t/shirt same applies with material, and a grey jacket. Im the one that does the stressing, if she goes to a friends house she goes in the same clothing time after time, if they have out of uniform she goes in the same cloths, i worry that she will start to be picked on, i have spoken to her about this, but she does not care. i know i should not worry till the time comes, but i so wish i could get her to wear at least something different at these times...

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2010, 9:14 am

annotated_alice wrote:
-figuring out Game Maker software mostly on their own this summer, and creating several games with Game Maker and on Spore Galactic Adventures

That is all wonderful!!

If your kids like game maker, they may like Scratch from MIT. It is free. Google "MIT Scratch".

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 9:19 am

My son loves to sing, so I thought maybe we could sign him up for the little children's choir at church. I asked him if he wanted to do it, and he said yes. They practice once a week, and we went to the first one. I stayed with him and sat in the back. I just knew he was gonna start up with all of his noisemaking that he has been doing so much of at home and sometimes at school. So, i was prepared to leave if necessary. Anyway, he sat through the rehearsal with about 20 other kids and did not make any noises! He didn't really sing though, but I was SO proud of him sitting there and not making his noises. I keep asking him if he really wants to do this, and he keeps saying yes, but he won't sing the songs! LOL! Anyway, I am going to keep trying, but I am definitely not going to push it.!

Thanks for starting the thread BJ, it is great to share good stuff about our kids! Sounds like your son is making some good steps!

azurecrayon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 9:57 am

yes, a wonderful idea for a thread! perhaps we could get it stickied even, it would be nice to have a place to regularly share the little triumphs in between asking for help with the traumas =)

for our house this week, these are the triumphs:

- my oldest declared he was liking school this year. all last year he hated his new school, so this turnaround is wonderful.
- my youngest, asd kiddo, played with a neighbor child yesterday. he didnt talk to her, but he followed her directions and they played catch. (later she was at our house to see my 6 yr old and the youngest tells me "i done playing, make her get out of here already!")
- all three boys started school and it went well. no major issues!

you know, i was trying to find something triumphant in my middle sons week, and really, theres not much there. he loves school, hes made tons of new friends, he starts flag football tomorrow and is really excited, he is riding the bus this year by his own request (thats a 45 min ride versus us picking him up when we only live 2 mins away from his school), we moved his bedtime earlier by half hour at his request because he was tired getting up in the morning. he doesnt seem to have lows so there are no contrasting highs. i guess the triumph is that despite being in our little freaky family, he is disgustingly typical. hes like "the one" in that picture game, "which one of these things is not like the others".

K - 6 yrs med/school dx classic autism
C - 8 yrs NT
N - 15 yrs school dx AS

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 11:08 am

Good idea for a thread :thumleft: We can and should always be able to find something to celebrate.

First three weeks as high school freshman have been going very well, especially compared to middle school.
No calls from the school.
Working hard in his internet classes.
Hasn't lost the house key.
Has learned how to manage his lunch money budget on a weekly basis, which is a major step up from not managing lunch money on a daily basis.
Overall maturity is increasing perceptibly.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 11:50 am

Yay for all the successes! We're seeing great gains in overall maturity/responsibility around here, too.

He told his dad all about school yesterday. Last year, he virtually never talked about it.

He's been remembering to close the front door after he uses it.

Has been mostly cooperative about chores/helping out.

I can now take him to class with me when I don't have a babysitter.

He's gotten very good at immediately apologizing when he hurts someone.

Instead of scratching/pounding on the bathroom door after I've asked for privacy, he will now slip a note that says "hi mom!" under it. :lol:

twinplets
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Sep 2010, 2:26 pm

We implemented a new system where he gets a ticket when he says yes first when we ask him to do something (these are used to purchase things at a store we have.). If he syays no, we take a ticket. He is stopping himself before arguing with us much more now.

His new teacher loves him and thinks he is very funny. It was 3 weeks into school before he got a warning in class.

The school put him a social skills group that meets every morning for the first 20 minutes of school before they go to their class. He seems to love it and is doing well in there.

And best of all.... His class elected him to be their 3rd grade representative for Student Council! This is the first grade they can participate and they pick one boy and one girl. He wanted it so badly, but I really prepared him for losing as so many kids were running in each class. He found out yesterday on his birthday that he won. He was over the moon. Today he was able to pack up the cans for the school food drive with the student council. He is taking it so seriously. I cried I was so happy for him.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 3:35 pm

That is wonderful. That he even ran seems awesome to me, and that he actually won... wow!

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 5:09 pm

My daughter said she likes a girl at school and talked to her.

Things went just awful at her old school and now she's in a new one. She never said she liked any of the kids at her old school. There was just a litany of problems. Now she comes home from New School (which is just for autistic kids- former school was regular public school) and says she likes somebody. And talked to her without being prodded into it by a speech therapist. :)

magicmum
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Sep 2010, 7:13 pm

I really love lists of the good things - I find it helps get through the tougher days.

- My son hasn't lost anything (phone, wallet, MP3 player) for several months now.
- He has been answering my txts every time to let me know where he is.
- He hasn't missed a class in 3 weeks.
- He's been trying to get a better sleeping pattern.

:)
magicmum

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 9:40 pm

Found myself wondering today, do our kids keep lists of our accomplishments? Like "Dad managed not to hover over me while I was on the monkey bars" or "Mom actually dropped the subject when I asked her to!" :lol:

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2010, 11:08 pm

willaful wrote:
Found myself wondering today, do our kids keep lists of our accomplishments? Like "Dad managed not to hover over me while I was on the monkey bars" or "Mom actually dropped the subject when I asked her to!" :lol:

LOL

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 12:06 pm

Quote:
We implemented a new system where he gets a ticket when he says yes first when we ask him to do something (these are used to purchase things at a store we have.). If he syays no, we take a ticket. He is stopping himself before arguing with us much more now.

I wonder why this is necessary? When I was younger if someone asked me if I "wanted to do such-and-such chore for them", I would always say no because I genuinely didn't want to do it. But then I'd still do it. The confusion I induced... this just reminded me of that.