Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Qi
Raven
Raven

10 Sep 2010, 9:11 am

This game changed me when I first played it as a 17-year-old guy. It made me feel emotions I've never felt before. It turned me from an emotionless person into a softy. I think it was the first storyline in anything that ever brought me close to tears. It was all really strange. I never figured a game could permanently affect my emotions like that.

It's interesting when I look back at it now, after learning about autism and all that, and comparing the intensity of its effect on me with the rest of my "normal" siblings. I'm not sure why I jumped from being emotionless to feeling twice the emotion they did.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 1:03 pm

Oh, I love 9.

Zidane was a fun protagonist, I liked the skill system, and the ending was great, and happy for once.

I remember being quite affected by the ending. I think I was around 14-15.

Decorequiem
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Sep 2010, 2:47 pm

Yeah, I liked FFIX.

At first I couldn't shake the fact that the main character had a tail and used little daggers to do his damage but the characters were all very varied and everyone had a neat story. The black mage's story and how his village handled death was especially memorable.

The series went downhill after that. The last game I played was Final Fantasy 10, and while it was okay, when I heard they were breaking their rhythm and 10 was the first game to receive the sequel treatment, I became so insulted I haven't played an FF game since then.

Qi
Raven
Raven

11 Sep 2010, 1:06 am

I know 12 was so boring I hardly remember anything of it. It's way too political. They say 13 is fun, but not much more. I'd like to try it.

I never even understood the appeal of romance at that age, thanks to all the cheesy movies and disney cartoons. The game completely changed my perspective on that. The ending was extremely satisfying.

BeauZa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2010, 2:15 am

I loved it. Final Fantasy IX was the first 3D FF game I'd ever owned and played.
I liked how it looked really kiddy with it's unevenly portioned characters and humour throughout (especially with the Qus) but that in turn made Memoria and the final battles with Trance Kuja and Necron much more scary! :( I'll never forget my first playthrough of the game and hearing 'Grand Cross' after Trance Kuja used Ultima to kill everyone. The spirits moaning...

Scrollin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Sep 2010, 2:53 am

Hmm... so you're saying FFXII wasn't that emotional compared to other FF games? I never really noticed (completly because It's the only "actual FF" I ever owned). I'd alaways been partial to playing a FF (any of them) on a PSX but I never got the chance... The closest I came was playing the DS spin-offs/re-makes.

Qi
Raven
Raven

13 Sep 2010, 3:07 am

I've never heard of anyone praising FFXII for being emotional. The game is apparently very impressive in terms of art and gameplay, but not for its characters, emotion or story. The story is very political (in other words, boring).

atindo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2010, 4:50 pm

I remember most VII. Then again I haven't played any since that one but I have been eyeing XIII.

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

13 Sep 2010, 7:10 pm

I enjoyed 9 but I could definitely feel the new direction they were going in as I played it.

Like someone already said, every game after 9 was so much different than the 7-9 and 8/16-bit games. It's like they try to pertain to the angsty tweens with its use of pop stars and whiny protagonists.

I'm not playing the next Final Fantasy or two since I know they'll be lagging behind in terms of game quality but will still try to pertain to the same audience.

But the creators of the series has stated he wants the games to evolve again and use much more of the console's power. So, hopefully, we'll see more non-linear JRPG's with beautiful worlds.

MrSteven
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Nov 2010, 9:51 pm

Final Fantasy 9 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time are tied for my favourite games of all time. Even now, some 8 years after first playing Final Fantasy IX through, I still get chills down my spine hearing the music from that game. Last year I worked a landscaping maintenance job which I absolutely hated, but I had a playlist on my iPod of about 50 or 60 Final Fantasy IX songs and I listened to the playlist every single day, never getting boring, and always getting me through the workday. Just an absolute masterpiece.

kinftw
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2010, 6:47 pm

I LOVED IX, as a matter of fact, i'm playing it now. I'm just a huge FF fan anyway. :)

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 2:02 am

Final Fantasy IX is my favourite Final Fantasy game ever. My biggest complaints are that there are no attacks that break the damage limit, or else attack several times in the same turn (unless you count the 'double magic', which I don't), and Trance. That being said, it is actually one of the more fun Final Fantasy games to play, with minigames galore, and a fairly formulaic story at first, that swiftly flies off the rails, in a good way.

On sabbatical...