Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 8:11 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
I finally watched the film today and it was hard to sit through...not that it wasnt bad, it was good actually...but it was so hard to see this woman go through psychological hell and be surrounded by all of these ignoramus's. It's really sad knowing that this is based on a true story and alot of the tough stuff was based on actual events. It's still tough as hell for even high functioning autistics to get a break in today's world but it didnt occur to me utnil watching this film that it was even worse decades ago when people were far more less educated on autism and barely had any disabilty services in place for them.

Needless to say Temple Grandin was very fortunate to find something she had an obsession with and made a sucessful career out of it.

That's why I had to watch it in two sittings. It was overwhelming.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 4:30 am

happymusic wrote:
That's why I had to watch it in two sittings. It was overwhelming.

Me too. I had to stop every now and then and take a short break.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 5:27 am

We just saw it via Netflix. My form of Aspergers seems to be much more similar to what Temple Grandin has than that Adam fellow we saw in the movies. I love solving challenges the way she does--nor would I have any trouble crawling down that cow chute on my hands and knees.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 7:28 am

I thought that Temple Grandin had high-functioning autism, not Asperger's.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 10:06 am

Finally got to see the movie off of RedBox. It was great, and I could really see a lot of myself in it. (My parents did too, which is why the reccommended it to me.)

The way her voice was, is almost the same way I have my voice (I call it Micky Mouse voice, which is why I hate hearing recordings of myself. I sound like Micky Mouse.)
And the way she avoided looking directly at people though keeping them in her sight, is what I do. I didn't realize how odd this looked to other people, until I saw someone else doing it.

There is other stuff, but you get the gist :)

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 10:21 am

If you have a Netflix account, you can have the HBO DVD sent in the mail and you can select to watch it with Temple and others narrating alongside ... and that is really insightful. She not only comments on her own thoughts and reactions to the movie, but she also fills in many small details about her life.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 12:33 pm

ksuther09 wrote:
happymusic wrote:
It's one of my favorite movies ever. I had to watch it in two chunks though because it was overwhelming to be hit with all that at once. I did see myself so clearly in it that it caught me off guard...

Sorry - I'm the world's biggest dork. However, I was more in a Spongebob mood & didn't rent it. But I will at some point & will probably write about it.

That part sounds like me when my mom withholds me from watching Mystery ER, and you finally get to the part where you figure out who gave the church parisoners arsenic poisoning...when she turns it off.

MeshGearFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Oct 2010, 2:57 pm

I really enjoyed the movie. Claire Danes was amazing She did a great job of conveying her voice and movements. I also like the visual diagrams to show her visual thinking. (In the movie, the metaphor of change was turned into a literal door.) I also liked the supportive family aspect because I never had any of that and it was a much much more difficult adjustment to independence.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 9:39 pm

I heard an interview about it and the host, really, really liked it, and he also played bits of the movie during the interview (It was on the radio so I only heard it).

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 10:17 pm

Excellent movie. Claire Danes was amazing in it and I really admire the way it was filmed, so that NTs could understand how it feels to be autistic.

Aldebaran
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Apr 2011, 1:37 pm

I have seen on Swedish television and I think it is one of the best and most fair representation of autism. Far away form the clown-like depictions in TV-series like "The Big Bang Theory".

I would like to see it again.

More reviews here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278469/usercomments
and a bit about the film:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278469/