Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 7:42 pm

I know it was an HBO movie thing but I don't have HBO. I was looking at RedBox and for next week Sept. 14th releases they have that movie listed. :-)

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2010, 8:04 pm

I only saw the butt-end, but from what I saw it was pretty good.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 8:21 pm

There's a movie? Why can't I have HBO? D:

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 8:25 pm

I enjoyed it :)

Science_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 8:54 pm

I got it on DVD a week ago but haven't watched it yet. I'll post what I think about it after I watch it (I'm planning to watch it soon.)

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 9:45 pm

there is a bbc special called 'the woman that thinks like a cow'. better than hbo movie. shows her actual squeeze box. there is a great scene that shows how much she trusts cows.

the hbo film is a dramatic interpretation of her early life.

the two are different in scope and potential audience. depends on what you want to see.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 10:18 pm

I'd rather see the BBC version of the movie. I like seeing happy stories about autism, not sob stories. :)

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 11:17 pm

It was as if I were looking at the female version of me. Our minds work alike, and neither of us talked as young children. It is a good movie with a positive message about autism.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 11:49 pm

I felt some things were exgerated. In her books Temple Grandin says she could never eat foods like jello but in the movie she says jello and yougart are the only things she can eat. I didn't really like it but "people movies" aren't my thing and I could never really relate to her. It is very hard for me to find a movie I like and I'd be a horrible movie critic. I guess for another person it was okay.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 2:35 am

I saw the movie and I liked it.
I still have it on an yousendit account so if anyone decides that he or she might like to have a look at it, send me a message. Only, I think that the link expires on Sep 14, so it'll be available only until that date.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 8:38 am

The hbo movie wasn't a sob story. It was very good and I don't like movies usually, especially emotional ones. This one wasn't emotional - if it was I didn't catch it. It showed things the way I think - probably how lots of us here think. The actress did a wonderful job. My husband saw it and then asked me if I would because he said there was so much in it that seemed like I could relate to. He was the one who first told me he thought I might have Asperger's.

It's one of my favorite movies ever. I had to watch it in two chunks though because it was overwhelming to be hit with all that at once. I did see myself so clearly in it that it caught me off guard.

ksuther09
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2010, 11:05 am

happymusic wrote:
It's one of my favorite movies ever. I had to watch it in two chunks though because it was overwhelming to be hit with all that at once. I did see myself so clearly in it that it caught me off guard...

I never thought about the emotional reactions to the movie other than, "THIS IS SO AWESOME THAT A CSU PROF GOT A MOVIE MADE OF HER LIFE HEHE!" :D Anyway, that's a good point. I'll probably have to watch it in segments in case it brings up stuff for me too. I saw it at Blockbuster yesterday & I just stood there across the aisle like, OH MY GOSH!! !! !! ! It's really here like 5 feet away! Sorry - I'm the world's biggest dork. However, I was more in a Spongebob mood & didn't rent it. But I will at some point & will probably write about it.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 12:27 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
I know it was an HBO movie thing but I don't have HBO. I was looking at RedBox and for next week Sept. 14th releases they have that movie listed. :-)
Sounds like I'll have to rent it then. :D

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 4:24 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'd rather see the BBC version of the movie. I like seeing happy stories about autism, not sob stories. :)

The HBO bio pic was essentially a happy story although Temple Grandin did have some rough times. In the end she was able to function at the limit of her abilities which are quite extensive. But she has some limitations, primarily in the social sphere. Read her biography.

ruveyn

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 5:25 pm

ruveyn wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

The HBO bio pic was essentially a happy story although Temple Grandin did have some rough times. In the end she was able to function at the limit of her abilities which are quite extensive. But she has some limitations, primarily in the social sphere. Read her biography.

ruveyn

Biodrama topic

I thought it was excellently done. I enjoy biographical stories, both in film and literature. Highly recommend a view. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 6:57 pm

I finally watched the film today and it was hard to sit through...not that it wasnt bad, it was good actually...but it was so hard to see this woman go through psychological hell and be surrounded by all of these ignoramus's. It's really sad knowing that this is based on a true story and alot of the tough stuff was based on actual events. It's still tough as hell for even high functioning autistics to get a break in today's world but it didnt occur to me utnil watching this film that it was even worse decades ago when people were far more less educated on autism and barely had any disabilty services in place for them.

Needless to say Temple Grandin was very fortunate to find something she had an obsession with and made a sucessful career out of it.