Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2010, 7:50 am

How many of you would consider yourselves the "black sheep" of your family because of your autism? That's kind of the situation I'm in. Outside of my very immediate family (parents and grandparents), I'm pretty much ignored. One of my cousins have me blocked on Facebook and most of the other ones fail to acknowledge me. I can maybe think of 2 cousins that have at least a sliver of respect for me. Anybody else in a similar situation?

Hermier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2010, 9:59 am

Baa-aa-aaa ! :?

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 11:06 am

My whole family is a bunch of black sheeps so I actually fit in.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 11:11 am

No. I am cherished.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 11:53 am

hermier wrote:
Baa-aa-aaa !

Yeah, that.
I don't really have anyone who wont speak to me, but I do feel like the black sheep because the rest of my family is comprised of people who have made it through university and are quite social with each other. I haven't seen most of my dad's side in over 10 years, and most of my mom's side I saw maybe 3 or 4 years ago at a cousin's wedding. For a day. And not much more than hello.

Plus, I get told by various members of my immediate family (mom our east, dad out west, sister always travelling) that they talk about me a LOT when they converse. That they all talk about how much they worry about me (WHY???) and how much they wish only the best for me... (Oh yeah, cause my lifestyle is terminal is it?) etc etc.

By simply doing what they are designed to do something large and magnificient happens. In this sense they show us how to live; The only barometer you have is your heart. When you spot your flower, you can't let anything get in your way. - John Laroche

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 12:56 pm

OREN......wow, i hope you realize how fortunate you are.

i am always amazed how so many humans 'complain' about such minor things. don't you realize that many of us on w. p. and in the real world have never had anyone to love us. parents who abused us at every chance, teachers who treated us like we did not exist, relatives, what relatives? i'm sure i had aunts/uncles/cousins but i never met any of them. try to imagine what it is like to never have been hugged and told you were loved. try to imagine to only be laughed at when you've asked someone for help when you're a child who is afraid. try to imagine being laughed at by everyone you know because you stutter so bad.

black sheep, closer to black holes.

but, of course, you don't want to hear about it...you don't want to know we exist.

in all honesty though, i can barely imagine the horror of being blocked on facebook!

alone
Toucan
Toucan

13 Sep 2010, 1:16 pm

danandlouie wrote:
OREN......wow, i hope you realize how fortunate you are.

i am always amazed how so many humans 'complain' about such minor things. don't you realize that many of us on w. p. and in the real world have never had anyone to love us. parents who abused us at every chance, teachers who treated us like we did not exist, relatives, what relatives? i'm sure i had aunts/uncles/cousins but i never met any of them. try to imagine what it is like to never have been hugged and told you were loved. try to imagine to only be laughed at when you've asked someone for help when you're a child who is afraid. try to imagine being laughed at by everyone you know because you stutter so bad.

but, of course, you don't want to hear about it...you don't want to know we exist.

in all honesty though, i can barely imagine the horror of being blocked on facebook!

I do think about the yous all the time. Whenever I am feeling bad I don't let it stay in my mind long. I have not had a good life but not anywhere near this kind of life. I'm sorry when I hear it and I never forget there are those out there that suffer, and are suffering.

:cry:

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 1:31 pm

danandlouie wrote:

I'm sorry that you've suffered so greatly... but that comment is totally uncalled for. Oren is not rubbing her life in anyone's face, regardless of how much it might seem like that to you. I guess you'd rather drown in your sorrow and don't want to hear how someone may have a more positive outlook on life? In that case, I'd advise you to just skip over this post. It's a big place.

I know that no one asked me, and I'm not a moderator. I'm just expressing my opinion.

Woodfish
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2010, 1:58 pm

i've felt like a black sheep in my family a lot. :-/

If we concentrate on accepting ourselves, change will happen. It will take care of itself. Self-acceptance is so hard to get you can't do it a day at a time. I've found that I need to run my life five minutes at a time. --Jess Lair

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 3:33 pm

definitely. someone at school even said i was 'a black sheep of the family' when he found out who some of my relatives were

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 3:47 pm

dt18 wrote:
How many of you would consider yourselves the "black sheep" of your family because of your autism? That's kind of the situation I'm in. Outside of my very immediate family (parents and grandparents), I'm pretty much ignored. One of my cousins have me blocked on Facebook and most of the other ones fail to acknowledge me. I can maybe think of 2 cousins that have at least a sliver of respect for me. Anybody else in a similar situation?

Same here. I am not close to my cousins and since I'm an only child, I have no sibs. Most of my mother's siblings never married, so I don't have a lot of first cousins, only three and I haven't talked to any of them in years. I see my mom just about every day, but our relationship has a lot of tension.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 4:17 pm

I'm the black sheep of the family. I was never good enough. I never talked about the right things, I never talked right, for an entire summer. I remember contemplating suicide for three summers, after that one.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 5:34 pm

YES!

Last edited by PunkyKat on 14 Sep 2010, 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 5:52 pm

hey FIDDLER/PIANO PERSON

i find it pretty strange that anyone would think i was talking to oren when i said what you have highlighted.

what i said to oren was that he was fortunate. i hope oren lets those who love him know that he knows how lucky he is to have them. i envy oren. i would not trash oren for being so lucky.

what you highlighted is what i meant for the gen. public. you know, humans like you. skip over this post??? skip over this post??? you're exactly the person i was talking about. skip over the post, i don't want to know you exist. that's what you said, right. i'm less than you are, right? you're the elitist type i was making fun of. i'm sure you think being banned on facebook is just a terrible life blow.

as much as you want me to vanish, so you don't have to know things like me exist, i think not.

i've got a great idea, report me to a moderator type. let us see if they are superhumans like you appear to be

oh, by the way......... THANK YOU FOR PROVING WHAT I WROTE IS TRUE.

to oren: if you're still here, did you think i was being cruel to you? i bet you didn't.

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

13 Sep 2010, 5:58 pm

My whole family except my sister, the poor thing, are aspies. We actually have a hard time getting along because we all clash so much. I do feel your pain though, hope things get better.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 6:30 pm

it's really strange.

I'm not really a 'black sheep' or seen as one, since I don't behave badly.

however in some of my extended family there's spouses of my cousins that don't really 'get' me and look down their nose.