I Don't Want Their "Help"!

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

13 Sep 2010, 5:56 pm

I'm in a club at school where the two kids who run it offered to "help" me with my social skill shortcomings and I agreed, not knowing what I was getting into.
Now they treat me like a very slow six-year-old, saying stuff like "Okay, that's irrelevant, why don't you only talk when you have something that's relevant" in this repulsively condescending voice.
It's not that I don't like the rest of the people in the club, but this is just off-putting. And I don't know how to talk about it with them, I'm scared they'll say something like that they're only trying to help and just wave it off. URRGH!

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 11:19 pm

ARE you saying irrelevant things?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 11:32 pm

Julia_the_Great wrote:
... they treat me like a very slow six-year-old ...

Try to have a quite talk with them where you very relevantly explain you meant to be asking them to help you know and understand what *to* do, and *not* what to *not* do.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 2:01 pm

Just tell them you don't want the "help" anymore.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 2:12 pm

Ask them not to help you, anymore.

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2010, 4:54 am

I agree. Sadly, all that type of "so-called help" is usually just a waste of time for us. Its simply because of who we are, that we cannot change.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 7:01 am

agreed with above.

evil_eyes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2010, 9:07 am

They *might* have good intentions, but who do they think they are and who are they to decide what is relevant? Who are they to try to "fix you"? :(

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 7:58 pm

In my opinion, just by the sounds of things, they seem like nothing more than a bunch of Putos with nothing better to do but waste your time and make you feel lower than mierda with their condescending tone and attitude. They are NOT trying to help, they are trying to have cheap entertainment at your expense. I say dump em and do so without giving a hoot about their feelings. If they truly wanted to help, they would respect you and be your friend, and accept you for who you are...they should not be trying to change you to fit their whims. If they give you the BS of saying they only wanted to help, tell em that if they truly wanted to help, they'd treat you with respect and not talk to you in a condescending tone. They would also refrain from trying to change who you are to fit their wants. If they keep pestering, tell em to make like geese and flock off. Your dignity is more important than their cheap entertainment.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2010, 8:18 pm

The fact that they offered should probably have been a huge warning sign. The way I see it, if you legitimately want and need help on certain interactions, then just ask. Most NTs are perfectly happy to explain things if you ask and without sounding like they think you're six. If someone asks you if they can help you, that probably means they see you as inferior. Run away ASAP.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 11:20 pm

Stop hanging out with them, if they're going to be that way.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 10:17 pm

Tory_canuck wrote:
In my opinion, just by the sounds of things, they seem like nothing more than a bunch of Putos with nothing better to do but waste your time and make you feel lower than mierda with their condescending tone and attitude. They are NOT trying to help, they are trying to have cheap entertainment at your expense. I say dump em and do so without giving a hoot about their feelings. If they truly wanted to help, they would respect you and be your friend, and accept you for who you are...they should not be trying to change you to fit their whims. If they give you the BS of saying they only wanted to help, tell em that if they truly wanted to help, they'd treat you with respect and not talk to you in a condescending tone. They would also refrain from trying to change who you are to fit their wants. If they keep pestering, tell em to make like geese and flock off. Your dignity is more important than their cheap entertainment.

Here here!

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 6:03 pm

Julia_the_Great wrote:
I'm in a club at school where the two kids who run it offered to "help" me with my social skill shortcomings and I agreed, not knowing what I was getting into.
Now they treat me like a very slow six-year-old, saying stuff like "Okay, that's irrelevant, why don't you only talk when you have something that's relevant" in this repulsively condescending voice.
It's not that I don't like the rest of the people in the club, but this is just off-putting. And I don't know how to talk about it with them, I'm scared they'll say something like that they're only trying to help and just wave it off. URRGH!

Wow...tell them to shove it up their pie hole and not ask for their help anymore.

I dunno what kind of club you're in but any kind of club that places a strict standard on social skills is not worth your time or your life.

Ideawizard
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Sep 2010, 12:32 am

In my experience with the neurotypical I find that a popular thing for them to do is "project". Basically, if they feel guilty about cheating, they will accuse their spouse of cheating. If they are upset, they will ask if you are upset. See where I am going with this?

Mabye the only reason they asked to help you in the first place is because they would want help from you but are afraid to ask; thus they ask u. Try asking if they need help. It might shock the hell out of them!