Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

industrialx
Raven
Raven

14 Oct 2010, 9:02 am

Callista wrote:
Yes, exactly; those aren't hallucinations, they're more like... hmm... somatization, maybe? Whatever you call it when you experience stress as physical symptoms, like how some kids get tummy aches because they're scared of going to school. Any psychologist worth his salt needs to be able to tell the difference.

I'd say this was more akin to alexithymia, a difficulty in describing or experiencing emotions. Just as some people who become depressed only experience physical symptoms, perhaps the feelings you experience are just more easily describing by assigning them a physical characteristic.
Also, in regards to psychosis, I think it's already been stated that SPD can occasionally lead to brief (we're talking minutes to hours in length) periods of reactive psychosis. It is thought that SPD occurs more often in families where there is an incidence of schizophrenia, but there is absolutely nothing to say that a diagnosis of SPD or schizotypal automatically guarantees you a 'pass go and collect £200 and schizophrenia.'
In my case, I was of the opinion that I was between an AS and an SPD diagnosis - I currently have neither, but would be more inclined to lean towards AS, perhaps with SPD features. Although I think it should be stated that for a diagnosis of PD to be given in ANY context, you are required to experience significant and disturbing interruptions to everyday life due to the 'disorder.' If, like me, you quite enjoy the possibility of having something like this, or if you can function in everyday life without significant disturbance, then it's not a PD.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 9:59 am

industrialx wrote:
Although I think it should be stated that for a diagnosis of PD to be given in ANY context, you are required to experience significant and disturbing interruptions to everyday life due to the 'disorder.' If, like me, you quite enjoy the possibility of having something like this, or if you can function in everyday life without significant disturbance, then it's not a PD.

Neither an ASD.