Reading Refusal Making evenings a nightmare!

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

pennywisezzz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Sep 2010, 7:39 pm

My daughter got a little behind at the beginning of first grade (the first time around in first grade). She could read flash cards pretty good, but had problems with reading books. I thought perhaps it was a tracking problem or something ADHD related (before the Aspie dx). What helped was I found a free download that was this program that used common sight words and it would show the word for her to say and then she could click a button and the program would say the word so she could see that she got it right. I also found this site that had stories online that would read them to her as she looked at the words ( http://storynory.com/ ) I also got her a Scholastic set of computer games which included Clifford Phonics. I also bought her and paid for a subscription to JumpStart World. All of this she enjoyed and would work on reading herself. I think the fact that she could do it by herself helped greatly. She has always loved computers since she was 3-4 years old so for her the key to helping her was to find fun, educational computer games she could play herself. Sometimes when I was able to get her to read we would be silly and when she got a word wrong I would make a silly noise at her so she knew to try it again - she was more receptive to the humorous approach.

Also, she went on to be diagnosed with Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome and we also found out the she was far sighted and one eye was weaker than the other. I'm surprised she could read as well as she could in light of those issues. These days, she reads at a 4th grade level and is above and beyond where she needs to be! Hopefully you can find what works for your daughter, too. :)