Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

mollisol
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Sep 2010, 10:51 pm

From the second half of first grade, until I graduated from high school, I too was the least popular person imaginable. It was a nightmare, and I see that many others here shared in that experience. College was okay b/c I could blend in and be anonymous. While I was in the chemical engineering program (I bombed outta that after the third year), I magically gained a special glow because I was female in a very male-dominated program. Now, I hang out in alternative-lifestyle circles, and shockingly enough, people seem to tolerate my existence, to the point of even seeming to like seeing me on occasion. It's really freakin' weird; I keep expecting the other shoe to drop.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 11:15 pm

menintights wrote:
I was popular. Everyone in school knew me as "the girl who never talked." :D

Haha, same here.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 12:20 am

I had a mild dose of it, following 10th Grade, same time bullying ended.

When you're on the football team and you play the electric guitar, no matter how good you are at either, you're valued somewhat. I also had some slight involvement in other activities.

rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Sep 2010, 9:31 am

I am popular

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 9:35 am

hale_bopp wrote:
I've always been "popular" and "unpopular" at the same time. You can't please everyone. It usually leans towards unpopular.

This.
Elementary School - Everyone knew and hated me
Middle School - Everyone knew and hated me but not as much as in elementary school, especially after I learned to RUN
High School - Quit talking, nobody knew anything about me outside of school and I was worshiped in the weight room and often complimented in shop.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 9:43 am

Roughly speaking:

Elementary school - one of the least popular kids
Secondary school - I think people regarded me as a bit of a misfit, but I was ultimately widely-respected if not well-liked
College, graduate school - I don't really know what people think of me, but I'm definitely not the most popular

From what I can tell, I'm ultimately a likable enough character but I have to grow on people first. At first I may come across as arrogant, rigid, and a bit of a charlatan.

I've won a popularity contest on an internet forum, in case that means anything.

Julian94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Sep 2010, 10:00 am

UnderINK wrote:
We had a very small school (....)f the 1000 kids that went to our school.

WTF, are you kidding 1000 kids is huge my school is about 140 kids.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 10:34 am

Mr_Sensitive wrote:
jc6chan wrote:
I wonder if nerds are ever going to be considered the "trend".

nerds are a trend. Haven't you seen any crappy teenage movies starring Micheal Cera or Jonah Hill? It's just that real nerds are rarely attractive, outgoing and witty

So, basically, real nerds are actually nerds, not romanticised Hollywood crap?

Anyway, I am not popular and do not desire to be so.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 11:50 am

I am popular. I'm 6'0 tall Goth with odd voice and I'm unsociable. Many people know who I am :lol:
But I'm not popular if you mean friends, parties, trips and everybody wanting to be my friend. I spend most time alone with my comp.

I'm really popular on some forums, everybody knows who I am and they're happy when they can meet me IRL. It's funny :lol:

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 12:11 pm

If I were popular, I would first withdraw, and then if that didn't solve the problem, I'd move. That amount of social interaction is not good for me. I can only process so much before I get exhausted, and I'd go into burnout pretty quickly if I were forced to interact with so many people.

Being popular is not necessarily a good thing, folks.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 12:15 pm

Not even a little. There's not a soul who would care if I wasn't here and very few would even notice.

scorcher863
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Sep 2010, 1:07 pm

I was popular in middle school and high school. Always made friends with the right people, the ones doing the bullying, and was social enough to hang out everyday with them, laugh along with the jokes and stories, and be considered part of the group. I was friendly with everyone and even though I kept my socializing to one or two sentence blurts, i was able to manage and get dates to homecoming and even got a laid a few times by girls who pursued me.

Nowadays, I'm a hermit, and only bs with some of those ppl on facebook, and hang out with a few of my closer friends now and then. Of course, that was before i moved away to go to college. Now, I live in an apt, with 3 strangers, two of which have branded me anti social (lol), have one friend who's a big science nut so we get along pretty well, and mostly don't socialize with ppl in my college.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 4:30 pm

'Ive been respected for my knowledge and certain abilities in school and after.

But I seem to exude a repellent force, overall....a pepe le pew.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 4:55 pm

Never been popular. Being someone who didn't/couldn't talk much, it was never something I even hoped for. When I was in the girls home, a few of the girls did look up to me in some ways. I think it might have been because I seemed like the strong, silent type, and I was well dressed and well groomed. I received pretty okay feedback for someone who is brain damaged anyway.