Yep 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
Nope 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Not yet but I have my FJI coming up soon...hold me! 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

SakuraKino
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Sep 2010, 12:22 am

Ok so before anyone starts reading and goes all "TL;DR" please post your most embarassing/funny interview stories here if you have any! My point in posting is to make myself feel better by reading other equally awkward stories~ XD

So I've been on the hunt for a job for awhile now, put in tons of applications through the months, but never got a call back. Couple of days ago I went with my mom to drop off a few more apps and also to give moral support for a second job she was applying for...IT WAS A TRAP! Well sort of...Ma sweet talked me into filling out an application with her for this particular place of employment. I thought ok cool, apps are easy enough. I fill it out, best hand writing, big words, no problem. I wait for Ma to finish and we take our papers up and place them in a pile. A few minutes later BAM my mom's off doing an interview and I'm sitting alone then "Ms --" Did someone just call my name? Oh crap! I'm shaking hands with a big guy in a yellow shirt, suddenly we're sitting and I'm smack dab in the middle of a REAL job interview. Talk about being blindsided, ambushed, pushed into a vast ocean to sink or swim sharks and all.

I was shaking, darting my eyes all over the place like a wild animal, being way too honest for my own good, doing pretty much everything that's considered a big no-no in the interviewing code of conduct or whatever. Everything I had researched and written on body language, posture, follow up questions...it all went out the window. My mind was totally blank and I stumbled over my words as best I could. Throughout the whole process, even as I dug my hole deeper and deeper, the man in the yellow shirt was considerably kind and patient with me, which kind of still stuns me since I'm androphobic to an extent. Nice or not though, I know I totally bombed my first ever interview (I expected to, of course, but I thought I'd at least be a little bit more prepared for it).

I'm actually pretty proud of myself for putting the effort into answering the questions and not fainting or anything. I tried to stress that I do in fact want a job and I know I probably won't be getting a call back any time soon and that's fine 'cause I totally wouldn't hire me either LOL but what I'm haunted by is this one little question he asked: Describe yourself in three words. My response without skipping a beat: W-well...I'm quiet, shy, and extremly intelligent. 8O Not a split second later my brain was all "Oh no you didn' guuurl...that's four words...not including the "and", you just HAD to add that extremely in there, huh...etc. etc." :oops: :roll: :oops:

Siiiiigh, oh well, at least I lived through it. Now I know what not to do in future interviews (sort of XD) and I even got to come in contact with a fatherly figure who didn't get frustrated with me so the ordeal was not a total loss and I feel kind of awesome getting one out of who knows how many interviews to come out of the way. Here's hoping I *do* get a call back to try my hand at being an honorary ice cream scooper in an event lobby haha. :P

s0s4d
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Sep 2010, 3:25 pm

I just got a call and I actually GOT THE JOB! I don't believe in miracles but this is pretty close woooo

I hope I do a good job!! ! 8)

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 7:36 am

I'm remember on my first job interview, it was for Debenhams. They asked 'why do you want this job' and I said 'I need some money'. :lol: