Trying to build my first computer myself, any help?

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

iniudan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2010, 8:04 pm

KingofKaboom wrote:
I would like to say that my funds are limited as I'm a college student and work part time...

Guessed that you were limited budget thus why I am a bit against Ichinin suggestion, even through they are good for someone who would not have limited budget.

EDIT:

For the case I admit my choice would be Cooler Master 890 Advanced II, which is 10buck more then what you posted if we don't consider the special.

Video review of it:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed4RC6r2NTk&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

But my real case of choice is Cooler Master ATSC 840, but I think that out of your budget.

Video review of it:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8_1cQkYTO4&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

iniudan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2010, 9:15 pm

Since need to take care of other thing then checking forum just posting a resume of what I think should be changed for your use.

Upgrade video card to one of the model I suggested earlier (Nvidia 9800 GT or GTX+, GTS 250, ATI HD 4850), which are the gaming video card model closest in price to the one in your OP.

This change would require a better PSU , so consider going for something between 600-700W, depending on special on PSU available, a 550W could do it but would limit future component add on, USB and E-Sata device connected. (This is in consideration that you get a 450W requirement video card, which should the requirement of video card model I suggested, but better double check just to be sure in case you choose a factory overclocked video card model =p)

Would change the case if the special is still not going on when you decide to buy, it normal price seem high for the quality of the tower to me. But at the current special price it seem ok.

Rest seem perfectly fine with me, if no overclocking planned, if you plan to overclock then I suggest an Actic cooling freezer 64 Pro with some thermal compound, no real suggestion to which one, but if you see an arctic silver or arctic cooling on free shipping get that one.

Has final note feel free to look a bit more around on mobo, due to special on newegg what best to get on that side quickly change.

Last edited by iniudan on 17 Sep 2010, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 9:16 pm

iceb wrote:
Might be an idea to get a burner rather than a DVD ROM as they are not much dearer nowadays.

Second that, it's just a few bucks more.

KingofKaboom wrote:
I do want to know this though do I have to buy any networking cards or anything for internet? Thx for quick reply in a month or two (after reading my computer books and saving enough) I'll make the necessary purchases along with a table as I don't have one big enough.

The motherboard you have chosen comes with on-board LAN if that's what you are asking.
If you are going to wait for 2 months, may be you'll want to wait 2 more. AMD will refresh its low end early next year. Intel will also have new CPU ready before the year's end but it may not be as low end.

KingofKaboom wrote:
I'll be getting that one along with this new PSU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817371026 -PSU

That's a much better choice than the original one. And it should have enough headroom to handle most upgrades you'll likely make.

KingofKaboom wrote:
I do have another question though, would it be okay to buy the parts a few at a time or should I just order them all at once?

You don't have to order everything at once. But it may be wise to order all the parts necessary to boot up the machine to check if everything is working.

iniudan wrote:
If you plan on gaming then I would suggest to look for a better video card, the model you got is more suited for video editing.

If you wanna stick with the ATI 5000 series it would suggest to at least get a 5770.

Good advice, although I don't think the alternatives suggested are worth considering.

As for the RAM, faster memory gives little benefit besides overclocking headroom. Those faster dimms almost always need higher voltage that could reduce their life. The motherboard+CPU you've chosen only supports DDR3-1333 without overclocking, and it'll only support 2 dimms running faster than 1333. So there's really no need to get anything higher unless you wanted to try overclocking some time. 4GB is also enough for now. If gaming is your main thing, it'll be better spending the $ on the display card instead.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 9:33 pm

Alright didn't want to fool with the huge quotes that would have happened but anyway..

I don't see the point in a burner if I don't ever burn discs and have no desire to do so...

I can afford most of the parts today but will need a week or two in order to have all of them in front of me.

Liked this Hard drive better so I changed it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136284

Hows this Video Card?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814129161
Or this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 0GTS%20250

Don't want to spend over $100 on a video card thx for replies

iniudan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2010, 9:36 pm

CloudWalker wrote:
Good advice, although I don't think the alternatives suggested are worth considering.

They are worth it for his price range if we stay with 512MB model since except the 9800GT they all benchmark higher. All have better pixel shader (which is what needed for quality graphic setting) then OP model and 256bit memory bandwidth.

Through if he go for a 1GB model I admit he better go with a 5770 right away, for price difference will then be small and it processing speed more then compensate for been only 128bit memory bandwidth.

iniudan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2010, 9:50 pm

KingofKaboom wrote:

Cannot really say the 4850 benchmark higher (just not sure if it was GDDR3 or GDDR4 benchmark number) and has better core speed, but the Nvidia has better pixel and texture fillrate on the GTS 250 and Nvidia tendency toward more reliable driver.

Think it is a matter of preference between Nvidia and ATI on this one.

P.S. Why did you guy decided to start replying again when I decide to go, good thing other thing I got to do not urgent. :roll:

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 9:57 pm

iniudan wrote:
KingofKaboom wrote:

Cannot really say the 4850 benchmark higher (just not sure if it was GDDR3 or GDDR4 benchmark number) and has better core speed, but the Nvidia has better pixel and texture fillrate on the GTS 250 and Nvidia tendency of toward more reliable driver.

P.S. Why did you guy decided to start replying again when I decide to go, good thing other thing I got to do not urgent. :roll:
I've spent all day looking on websites trying to pick out parts so I watched some tv and visited my niece. Well I just need the best card I can get for $100 I don't think I understand all the differences in the cards that you are pointing out. How about this, I play Fallout New Vegas and Halflife 2 Games with some Dawn of War. I don't play online games at all anymore as I don't have enough speed for shooters and don't like MMORPG's so I need a card that lets me play those games at best values. Thx for replies again :D

iniudan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2010, 10:07 pm

KingofKaboom wrote:
iniudan wrote:
KingofKaboom wrote:

Cannot really say the 4850 benchmark higher (just not sure if it was GDDR3 or GDDR4 benchmark number) and has better core speed, but the Nvidia has better pixel and texture fillrate on the GTS 250 and Nvidia tendency of toward more reliable driver.

I've spent all day looking on websites trying to pick out parts so I watched some tv and visited my niece. Well I just need the best card I can get for $100 I don't think I understand all the differences in the cards that you are pointing out. How about this, I play Fallout New Vegas and Halflife 2 Games with some Dawn of War. I don't play online games at all anymore as I don't have enough speed for shooters and don't like MMORPG's so I need a card that lets me play those games at best values. Thx for replies again :D

The wiki for ATI and Nvidia video card comparaison is very helpful if you can understand the number in it, but in short the most important number when looking at them is the last number in Config Core (that the number of pixel shader core, currently at least 16 for a gaming card), Bus Width (currently must at least be 128 bit for gaming card, but 256 bit is preferable if the GFLOP number doesn't have a huge difference) and GFLOP (which is a benchmark number)

The card in your OP could have run game without much difficulty, the trouble is that it would not run game well on good quality setting since of it low number of pixel shader core, which quite nullify it ability to run DX11 since you would be unable to run game with DX11 effect on. =p

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 10:17 pm

Ok well I think tomorrow (getting sleepy now) I'll order the Case and the OS leaving the rest up for awhile, I chose iniudan's suggestion on the Cooler Master II Advanced (shortened it) since it is in my range and has dust cover's that will help me alot and better airflow can be added as I go with good bays for drives. OS is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6832116754 Just Windows 7 Home :tired: Oh and free shipping doesn't hurt either even if other have it :) Night guys hopefully someone will come back tomorrow so we can discuss this video card some more.

Last edited by KingofKaboom on 17 Sep 2010, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iniudan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2010, 10:20 pm

KingofKaboom wrote:
Ok well I think tomorrow I'll order the Case and the OS leaving the rest up for awhile, I chose your suggestion on the Cooler Master II Advanced (shortened it) since it is in my range and has dust cover's that will help me alot and better airflow can be added as I go. OS is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6832116754 Just Windows 7 Home

Not like there is much choice for OS if you gaming, you mostly forced to take windows. Wish more game would run on OpenGL instead of directx. =(

And for personal use no point in going for higher then home premium, unless you really want the window XP emulator and the other fancy stuff, that I don't remember for would not use them, in the professional and integral version.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 10:26 pm

iniudan wrote:
KingofKaboom wrote:
Ok well I think tomorrow I'll order the Case and the OS leaving the rest up for awhile, I chose your suggestion on the Cooler Master II Advanced (shortened it) since it is in my range and has dust cover's that will help me alot and better airflow can be added as I go. OS is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6832116754 Just Windows 7 Home

Not like there is much choice for OS if you gaming, you mostly forced to take windows. Wish more game would run on OpenGL instead of directx. =(

Yeah... Well that is why every buys Windows I know lots of people who wouldn't if they could still game w/o it...

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 10:57 am

If anyone is still looking what about this card instead?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814161294

iniudan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Sep 2010, 12:42 pm

KingofKaboom wrote:
If anyone is still looking what about this card instead?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814161294

Really a personal choice on that one for 4870 and 5770 are very close to each other in capability, really dependent on gaming environment to say which one will perform better, especially since they are in same price range. But after checking a bit I saw that 6000 series suppose to come out soon so might be worth to wait if you don't want to buy video card since price will be coming down on the older series, by the end of the year.

But me I would choose a 5770.

5770 I would take if buying right now on Newegg since of the special price, good rating and free shipping.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 1:33 pm

Don't really want to buy all the rest until next week because if something is wrong with them I'll have to return the item and then I'll have lost a week for the item to get back to newegg's facilities. I just want what would be best for a starter build and Fall Out level graphics. I want to be able to run next levels of games but don't have to have maxed graphics do need good fps min of 50.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 5:57 pm

KingofKaboom wrote:
What really has my worried is connections and the thermal compound I'm worried I'll put it on wrong too little/too much and spend more money :/

Both newegg and tigerdirect have good guides for assembling your computer.

As for the thermal paste, I put a tiny bit on and scrape it(with my old plastic library card) to cover the CPU top surface. You want it thin: all it does is fill in the imperfections of the surfaces so that they mate. It should be thin enough that none squeezes out when you clamp down the heat sink. When I scrape it around, I put the thermal paste dot in the center, and scrape it carefully to the edge, the work it back inwards. You can always add a little more, but dont do it until you see how thin you can spread what you have. You can probably do five computers with that little satchet of paste that comes with the CPU.

It really helps to dry fit those parts first; decide which way the heat sink is going to sit as sometimes there are clearance issues.

If you need to clean up the paste, rubbing alcohol and cotton tipped swabs work well.

Just be Aspie careful and you'll do fine. :)

I also favour aftermarket CPU heatsinks over the ones that come with the intel and (presumably) AMD CPUs. They fit tighter, run quieter and shed more heat.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 6:54 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
KingofKaboom wrote:
What really has my worried is connections and the thermal compound I'm worried I'll put it on wrong too little/too much and spend more money :/

Both newegg and tigerdirect have good guides for assembling your computer.

As for the thermal paste, I put a tiny bit on and scrape it(with my old plastic library card) to cover the CPU top surface. You want it thin: all it does is fill in the imperfections of the surfaces so that they mate. It should be thin enough that none squeezes out when you clamp down the heat sink. When I scrape it around, I put the thermal paste dot in the center, and scrape it carefully to the edge, the work it back inwards. You can always add a little more, but dont do it until you see how thin you can spread what you have. You can probably do five computers with that little satchet of paste that comes with the CPU.

It really helps to dry fit those parts first; decide which way the heat sink is going to sit as sometimes there are clearance issues.

If you need to clean up the paste, rubbing alcohol and cotton tipped swabs work well.

Just be Aspie careful and you'll do fine. :)

I also favour aftermarket CPU heatsinks over the ones that come with the intel and (presumably) AMD CPUs. They fit tighter, run quieter and shed more heat.

How do I make sure the non stock fan fits on the CPU?
For instance this says it is for AM3 (I think...)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835185125

Does that mean it will fit my AM3 processor?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103687