I wonder what this site has come to, sometimes.

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 7:06 pm

Sometimes I wonder what this site has come to. It used to be a fun place for me to come to. I used to be able to speak my mind, without being cornered, every time that I did so. I also don't appreciate being treated like a ret*d, either. I've also noticed a vibe of depression. Why can't everybody be happy to be alive. I don't really know what to do, at this point. Stay and be cornered and treated like an idiot, or just take a break? I was bullied enough in high school. I don't need to be bullied, here. The thing is that this site is my only support, right now, so it would be foolish for me to leave. Just let me post freely and don't corner me anymore, people.

Corp900
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2010, 7:11 pm

no can do

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 7:12 pm

Having all your eggs in one basket can be risky...

If I see these dirt bags, bullying you of all people, I will battle on your behalf. From everything I have seen of your posts, you do not deserve this unkind treatment, in any way.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 7:22 pm

I'm really sorry that people have treated you poorly! You certainly don't deserve it. I always appreciate seeing your posts and hope you will continue to be here.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 7:39 pm

double post... how did that happen? :S must have pressed the wrong button. oops!

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Last edited by MathGirl on 17 Sep 2010, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 7:50 pm

I think you're one of the nicest people here. Honestly, out of all members on here, I want to meet you in person the most. You're very interesting, unique, kind, and sweet. I rarely meet people like that in real life.

As for depression, it's hard to not be depressed sometimes. Life is just too much sometimes, and we have to find somewhere the strength to cope on our own. It's very hard when you're alone and have no emotional support available. A lot of people here are adults who try to survive independently, often with no social connections whatsoever. I see this forum mainly as a support forum. Even though some of us may feel too distressed to reach out and offer others help, just having these reminders that there is someone else out there who is going through similar problems can be very, very reassuring.

Personally, for me, it's important to be look happy all the time when I'm around people, because no one likes those who have a negative disposition and whine about their problems. I don't go out at all when I'm depressed, because I don't want to make others depressed, too. I want to make people happy and I want them to know that I care about them. So I go here and rant, or read these negative posts that somehow end up making me feel better, so that I can go back into the real world and do it all over again.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Sep 2010, 7:54 pm

Hi CockneyRebel.

When I first joined this site in Nov. of 2008, I felt awkward posting because I didn't know I would be received. One day I was browsing through posts and I found an avatar picture of a charming woman who looked to be enjoying life, and she was holding a die cast model double decker bus---like one I got when I was a child. That woman was you. I contacted you and you immediately replied. At that point, I felt like I belonged here. There was someone else that had collected something I had.

I have taken a lot of pleasure in reading your posts. And I have taken more pleasure in your positive outlook on life. I have tried to maintain a positive outlook too. Whenever I have made threads on things I wasn't sure how they would be received, I would feel a tinge of anxiety when I saw that someone had responded. But you are one of the few members that when I see your name come up as a responder to my threads that I don't feel anxiety. I know you are kind and enjoy life. And you are a respectful member.

Please, don't let anyone on this site change your attitude. You are too far valuable a member to let this happen. But a break? I have taken two (one for one month, and one for six months). If you are really stressed, a break can do you good. But, I really can't imagine the WP without you. I can say that I (and I know many others) would miss you greatly. But you will do what you need to do---and I respect that.

I just wanted to send this post to you as an appreciation for you helping me with your great outlook on life. You have touched at least one person's life (me), and I am sure many others.

Thank you for your inspiration,
glider18

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 8:00 pm

Take a short break, return, and if nothing has changed, request an ignore button from the admin and don't take no for an answer.

Oh, and like many others have said, you're actually a nice person. So if you feel cornered, don't take it personally. It's not you, it's us.

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 9:14 pm

Well, I don't know what happened to make you feel this way, but as for myself, I would hate to see you leave. I see your posts all of the time and am glad that you are so supportive of everyone. I hope that you will stay with us. You are appreciated, perhaps more than you might realize.

And as for the depression, that is no real surprise to me. Life in the world as it is today is depressing and not getting any better, but rather worse. This is hard to ignore. Maybe what you see here on WP is a reflection of this general feeling. Just a thought.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 9:34 pm

Positive/negative, happy/sad, kindness/oppression, these are see-saws of emotion. When negativity overtakes a forum in quantity, positivity becomes all the more impactful, as you no doubt have seen in some of the posts above. There is no use wishing the world - or even WP - would be a nicer, happier place. But believing in your words can shield you, and continuing to speak your mind can change this place for the better.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 10:32 pm

I'm back with a smile, with an avatar from my favourite year, 1964. I have an apology to PM someone, as well.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 10:43 pm

There have been threads that I've posted in that I should have avoided, and I will not make light of the plight of others problems, by posting my favourite song, again because I knew how much trouble it got me in to.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 11:04 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Sometimes I wonder what this site has come to. It used to be a fun place for me to come to. I used to be able to speak my mind, without being cornered, every time that I did so. I also don't appreciate being treated like a ret*d, either. I've also noticed a vibe of depression. Why can't everybody be happy to be alive. I don't really know what to do, at this point. Stay and be cornered and treated like an idiot, or just take a break? I was bullied enough in high school. I don't need to be bullied, here. The thing is that this site is my only support, right now, so it would be foolish for me to leave. Just let me post freely and don't corner me anymore, people.

At the risk of stating the obvious: There is a lot of volume here now , and I think they don't know you 'well' to know how you are about the "Kinks".

And I think you've adopted a good strategy, now. :)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 11:25 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

While I have noticed there has been lot of drama here lately, I haven't seen anyone be mean to you or treat you as such.

I avoid all those suicide threads. I can never stand those topics and they just bug me. Same as if they are attention seeking. I don't click on them so I wouldn't know what they are about. If I click on a thread and the OP mentions something about suicide I hit the back button. I don't think it makes me a bad person. I just can't handle them is all. It's worse if someone talks to me in IM or PM about suicide and I get uncomfortable and it's one of my pet peeves when it's about "I'm gonna kill myself if I don't get what I want."

You can take a break from here. Nothing wrong with that.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 11:32 pm

There's one person who posts in the general forum, who's threads I just won't respond to, and I've sort of told someone off, for presuming that I don't know the lyrics to my favourite song. I don't need to by messing with trolls, or telling people to play with themselves. I've realized the wrongdoings of my actions and I guess that I ran away for 4 hours.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 12:54 am

Yea. I've noticed there's a lot of bitter people on this site and it manifests differently with different personalities. Some like to take out their personal frustration by trying to bring others down. I'd say don't let it bother you, but I know that's not always possible. Just know that you're miles ahead of most people here as far as learning to accept and respect yourself. People envy that and it makes them uncomfortable. I know I'm not the most positive person but at least I try to reserve my venom for truly mean people and leave the nice ones alone.