I wonder what this site has come to, sometimes.

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 12:54 am

Yea. I've noticed there's a lot of bitter people on this site and it manifests differently with different personalities. Some like to take out their personal frustration by trying to bring others down. I'd say don't let it bother you, but I know that's not always possible. Just know that you're miles ahead of most people here as far as learning to accept and respect yourself. People envy that and it makes them uncomfortable. I know I'm not the most positive person but at least I try to reserve my venom for truly mean people and leave the nice ones alone.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 1:07 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
There's one person who posts in the general forum, who's threads I just won't respond to, and I've sort of told someone off, for presuming that I don't know the lyrics to my favourite song. I don't need to by messing with trolls, or telling people to play with themselves. I've realized the wrongdoings of my actions and I guess that I ran away for 4 hours.

Honestly I don't see many trolls here. I always wonder "what trolls?" when people mention them. I know there are opinions here people have others may not like, same as their point of views and all, nor liking their responses but that doesn't make them trolls. I think that word often gets misused here. I seriously doubt people make posts here just to upset others and have them get all riled up.

It's good to not read threads posted by a user you don't like and who you feel provoked by just because you don't like the things they say. Also using firefox and greasemonkey to block posts here from users you don't like is a good solution.

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 1:09 am

I get the absolute vibes that Aspies are more egotisical and vemonous then NTs. At least with NTs you can win the argument, but an argument with an Aspie? Hah, not only would you lose that, but they would beat you into the ground further just to see you squirm.

A disability of pure poison and hatred is Asperger Syndrome

Hans should have been executed for his work.

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2010, 1:46 am

I think alot of the negativity on the forum comes from those with untreated depression due to social isolation and lonliness. Do not underestimate the power of medication to alter these viewpoints. Pharmaceuticals really do work.

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2010, 1:46 am

I think alot of the negativity on the forum comes from those with untreated depression due to social isolation and lonliness. Do not underestimate the power of medication to alter these viewpoints. Pharmaceuticals really do work.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 2:08 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Sometimes I wonder what this site has come to. It used to be a fun place for me to come to. I used to be able to speak my mind, without being cornered, every time that I did so. I also don't appreciate being treated like a ret*d, either. I've also noticed a vibe of depression. Why can't everybody be happy to be alive. I don't really know what to do, at this point. Stay and be cornered and treated like an idiot, or just take a break? I was bullied enough in high school. I don't need to be bullied, here. The thing is that this site is my only support, right now, so it would be foolish for me to leave. Just let me post freely and don't corner me anymore, people.

It's fair enough to not want to be critisised, but you can't just tell other people to be happy and expect them to magically feel better.

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 2:25 am

Asp-Z wrote:
You can't just tell other people to be happy and expect them to magically feel better.

This is what other posters basically tell suicidal posters. How do they know what lies ahead? The suicidal poster has the right to run their own life, its their choice to live or die. Other people will be affected by the suicide? Well, to be honest, what are those other people actually doing to help the suicidal person? Nothing, at the most. So. basically, the people affected will make a big fuss when that person has died. Well, you should have helped them while you had the chance.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 4:40 am

ScottyN wrote:

Good point. Just because this is a site for people with AS doesn't mean they're just going to display AS traits...there may be some co-morbidities mixed in there as well. However, it is up to the individual to seek out appropriate treatments for themselves rather than taking things out on others on the boards.

To CockneyRebel: I'd give you a huge hug if I could...you are a very enlightened, unique and confident individual, not to mention one of the sweetest and kindest people on the boards. People should have nothing but the utmost respect and kindness towards you, especially here because this is a support site...and it makes me feel angry that there are people who don't see that and only focus on their own negativity.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 5:03 am

People are people.

That doesn't change just because someone creates an online forum and slaps a lable on it. People are lazy, grumpy, depressed, psychotic, ect. My best advice is never start thinking that you've "found" a perfect place where you'll encounter absolutely no friction. Not to mention, seeing as this is the internet, there can be even greater problems with communication. In my personal experience, individuals tend to be a deal more negative/rude/pissy when speaking online or over the phone for the simple reason that there are fewer consequences for their actions.

As others have said take a break if you need it and try not to get too upset about what a bunch of faceless internet chuckleheads are harassing you about. Their problems are THEIR problems, not yours. If it helps, I've always found you intelligent and articulate and hope you decide to come back.

--XFG

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2010, 5:28 am

I think there are some awesome people here. But we need to respect each others fragilities, which aren't always obvious.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 5:48 am

Oh whinge whinge.
You get the same people on all forums anyway, there will always be drama or people liking some members and disliking others. And not everyone can be all happy jolly all the time, the world isn't like that.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 8:27 am

It's interesting thinking back to when I first joined. I remember when there were only a few thousand members (I remember coming across a thread that even said that I was the 1000th member, although I don't know if that was true). There have been a lot of changes, for the good and the bad (as with life, I guess; the show goes on! lol). A lot of people have come and gone over the years. I know how you feel when it comes to people shutting down ideas or trying to win even the most petty arguments (if that's what you call "bullying"). I think that it's like that in life, or at least in my life. Sometimes I just go on, being taken aback, a little angry, but then remembering that one person's opinion or statement doesn't matter in the long run. There will always be someone to disagree with you or someone who just shuts people down. I think it's something with everyone, at least sometimes. I think part of it is to prove to the world that they are worth something or to prove that to themselves, even if it's to the point of hurting someone else's feelings. The fact is, though, is that you are worth something even if they think you aren't, or that your opinion matters even if they don't think it does.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 9:47 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
People are people.

That doesn't change just because someone creates an online forum and slaps a lable on it. People are lazy, grumpy, depressed, psychotic, ect. My best advice is never start thinking that you've "found" a perfect place where you'll encounter absolutely no friction. Not to mention, seeing as this is the internet, there can be even greater problems with communication. In my personal experience, individuals tend to be a deal more negative/rude/pissy when speaking online or over the phone for the simple reason that there are fewer consequences for their actions.

As others have said take a break if you need it and try not to get too upset about what a bunch of faceless internet chuckleheads are harassing you about. Their problems are THEIR problems, not yours. If it helps, I've always found you intelligent and articulate and hope you decide to come back.

--XFG

I've only been here about six months, but this expresses exactly how I see it. I try to avoid trolls except when I see them causing what I see to be excessive disruption or spreading mythology that causes harm to us as a group. Overall, there are going to be all sorts of people and all sorts of opinions within *any* group of people, and I try to ignore most of what I consider idiocy.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 12:52 pm

I had a bit of a meltdown, yesterday afternoon. I took a bee sting to my head, at my job site in the morning, yesterday, and I wasn't feeling well, so everything was getting to me. I apologize.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 1:00 pm

Craig28 wrote:
I get the absolute vibes that Aspies are more egotisical and vemonous then NTs. At least with NTs you can win the argument, but an argument with an Aspie? Hah, not only would you lose that, but they would beat you into the ground further just to see you squirm.

A disability of pure poison and hatred is Asperger Syndrome

Hans should have been executed for his work.

Someone said something about not seeing trolls here?

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 1:36 pm

Toxicity breeds toxicity. The problem with toxicity is that it poisons a positive frame of mind, but the reverse doesn't happen.

A few good apples thrown into a barrel of rotten ones, will become rotten. One rotten apple tossed into a barrel of good apples will ruin them all.

The ONLY way to prevent rottenness from spreading is to separate the apples.

Of course, we aren't apples. We are human beings with the capacity to make choices. I think you're idea to take a break is a good one. Limit your contact with threads that feel toxic. I started using the "unsubscribe" link recently, and it's helped a lot.

There are those here that claim this negative energy is everywhere on the Internet. Yes, it is, but I've been on literally hundreds of forums with dozens of different purposes over the last ten years, and I can tell you without doubt that the toxicity level here is far stronger than any other forum I've been on.

Another thing about human behavior I've easily concluded is that if you provide a means of expression, the most common mentality that is expressed is negative, not positive. People in general have less of a tendency to talk about things they find acceptable, and more of a tendency to talk about things they think should change. That often comes across as whining and complaining. It can, and does, also come across as accusatory to the folks that are happy with the status quo.

Combine that general human tendency with Autism, and you get a recipe for conflict. People on the spectrum, in general, do not like to consider that their thinking may need to change. To an Autistic, changing thinking means changing who you are. Any suggestion to change thinking is more often than not, seen as a challenge to individuality. A challenge to identity. NO, I do not think everyone here is like that, but I do strongly believe that this in probably THE most common core Aspie and/or Autistic trait. NT's ARE like this too, but not to the extent that Aspies and Autistics are overall.

I do believe most of us learn to overcome that with age. The vast majority of people being DX'd on the spectrum today though, are pretty young (children, teenagers and Twenties). They haven't had time to learn as much about their own Autism, and how to cope with it. A great many of them, or at least the most vocal of them on this forum, seem to me to be more interested in being right about what they already think than in being open to other ideas before they even post.

I have seen evidence on WP that quite a few users were apparently like that when they first came here a few years ago. Some of them have been banned, and since returned. Most of them that have stuck around seemed to have learned to become at least a little more open minded.

In the meantime, a whole lot more new users have signed up, and the most vocal of them seem to have not yet learned how closed minded they are.

The whole cycle, now that I've had time to think about it, seems almost obvious. Almost as if it should be expected.

Use those unsubscribe links and take a break. If you've been thinking about it, it probably means it's a good idea.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...