Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jaguars_fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2006, 12:14 am

renaeden wrote:
It's the chairs!! ! I don't like Dr. Phil's chairs! I would find it very hard to sit in them, and if I did have to, I would bring my knees up and wrap my arms around my legs and then probably get into trouble for putting my feet on the cushioned part of the chair.
Down with Dr. Phil's chairs!

You don't like Dr Phil because of his chairs? OOOOOOK WHATEVER!! !!

parts
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2006, 5:56 pm

VoluminousFlush wrote:
Man, y'all are a bunch of turds man. Dr. Phil is awesome. I'm proud to say he's from Texas. I bet y'all don't even like Oprah either. He won't hesitate for one second to put a woman in her place.

What place is that :?:

DivineMagic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Jun 2006, 2:27 am

parts wrote:
VoluminousFlush wrote:
Man, y'all are a bunch of turds man. Dr. Phil is awesome. I'm proud to say he's from Texas. I bet y'all don't even like Oprah either. He won't hesitate for one second to put a woman in her place.

Top of the World, with a nice shiny crown?

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2006, 6:17 pm

Lots of people listen to him because he's a huge T.V. figure, not because of his facts anyway. He probably doesn't even know what autism is. From what I heard him say about autism from other aspies here on WrongPlanet sounds like he just watched Rain Man and read a couple of articles about autism, made a script, and made it into a show.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2006, 11:59 pm

They finally played the "extreme disorders" show in Australia today. It's a public holiday here.

So the apsergers kid, they called it Aspergers and equated it to "High functioning autism" which I personally disagree with.

And Dr Phil kept calling it a problem and a "disorder". I can understand why the kid would have a hard time with it if he's always told he's sick, disordered or broken, malfunctioning.

The parents were not any better, I'd be taking bets that both of them have it too. There was one bit where they were all yelling at each other. And Dr Phil is blaming the Aspergers. And yet with his other families "in crisis" he doesn't do that.

And then they introduce two people from "brain matters" and they image the brain and show the one with lots of activity and call it abnormal. Nice work. And say they have a "therapy" to treat the cause of it. I guess that means - something to stop the extra brain activity. Anyone want to volunteer to have half the thinking ability they do now? Not me.

And not one positive attribute of Aspergers was mentioned. This kid was described like a monster who has door slamming temper tantrums for no reason at all the way some kids have epileptic fits.

And no mention of skills training to handle the darker aspects of Aspergers.

I used to like Dr Phil but he's lost a lot of credibility with me on this one.

Laura
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jun 2006, 12:34 am

I agree.

If Dr. Phil screwed up our analysis he must have been screwing up every one else’s only we have been too blind to notice it until now. I always knew he was just another Poser… you know all he really cares for is his pay cheque at the end of his show.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2006, 3:07 am

Just to add another perspective... I've never actually seen Dr. Phil but from the sound of it he's made some errors in judgement on his shows. But is he really much worse than a lot of other psychiatrists? Might his beliefs represent those of a proportion of psychiatric staff in general? From what I've heard very little education is given on political/social bias in psychology and medicine, so maybe we should be looking at this from a broader perspective.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2006, 4:52 am

This is a link to the "extreme disorders" show,

If you click on the "what Rich has been hiding" link it shows the slide show of transcript of the show from the parents perspective. Interestingly they say theyre living like two friends in the same house, and blame that on their child's Aspergers, but I'd blame it on the parents' aspergers - quite comfortable living without touching.

if you click on the under the photo of "Alex", it links to a slideshow transcript of what was said on the show. It TOTALLY focussed on the temper tantrum and discussed no other traits of Aspergers. It discussed slightly that Alex's friends call him a "ret*d" but not why. Odd - I got called a "brain".

http://drphil.com/shows/show/634/

Dr Phil's list of symptoms
http://drphil.com/articles/article/497/

In fact "prone to temper tantrums" is not on the list - go figure.
I don't agree with this list - I think it describes autism better - especially the traits he links to between 18 months and 3 years old. And it leaves much out. Just like the show.

I think the show would have been more accurate if he'd gotten a kid who was an expert on dinosaurs (or a grid iron team) and Dr Phil couldn't get a word in edgewise. That would have at least illustrated the classic "little professor" trait.

edited to add info about the first slide show

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2006, 7:24 am

DivineMagic wrote:
parts wrote:
VoluminousFlush wrote:

Top of the World, with a nice shiny crown?

she has too much influence over people. she says the name of a drink on her show and millions of people go out to buy it.

I don't hate either of them its just i don't think anyone should have the kind of power over people that these two do.
I think if she wanted to she could become queen of the world because of this.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2006, 7:40 am

The thing I don't like about Oprah is the hypocracy.

She'll do a program about fashion victims or not being obsessed and into debt trying to keep up with the Joneses, or just how many poor people there are in the USA (33 million+ imagine if they organised), and then she will comment on how well dressed you have to be to be in her audience, and plug some "favourite thing" as "you must have this".

Same with diets. She is always looking for the latest new fangled diet, and never quite equates her weight with what she eats. I admit she probably has a super efficient metabolism but her favourite foods - as presented by her, are very high calorie.

And the shoes. She's always commenting on how torturous the shoes are, and then she complains about bad treatment of women. ARGH.

I like Ellen better - at least her clothes look comfy and she's more about having fun than saving the world while stabbing the poor people in the back.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2006, 1:06 pm

Whats so great about Oprah?

VoluminousFlush
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jun 2006, 1:52 pm

I don't even think the kid on the show had Asperger's. Asperger's > Tourette's IMHO. How could Dr. Phil even begin to put these two disorders in the same sentence?

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2006, 10:18 pm

VF

There was a kid on the show they said had aspergers. If you read the forum that goes with the show, he also has a bunch of other things like mood swing disorder - which explains the temper tantrums better than aspergers. They never said this kid had tourettes.

Then they swapped to a man they said had tourettes, not that he did any word ticks but he did a few facial ones while he was in "The Chair".

So it was a two part show addressing two different people: one boy with "Aspergers" and one adult with Tourettes.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2006, 3:42 am

Hardly what I'd call 'extreme disorders'...

blondie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2006, 7:54 am

That's Crazy :lol: