Do violent video games cause violence in real life?

Page 1 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

do video games make you violent?
Hell no. the people who believe that are absolute f*****g morons! 86%  86%  [ 107 ]
yes. when i played new super mario bros, i had the urge to eat a mushroom and jump on a turtle...... 14%  14%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 125

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 10:26 am

I was having an argument with my mother because she claims that violent video games in real life and tried to take away my xbox 360. i certainly don't agree with her. what are your opinions?

Last edited by imbatshitcrazy on 19 Sep 2010, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 11:02 am

I agree with her. Poor quality video games definately make me violent. They make me want to kill the people that made them.

lazuruswolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Sep 2010, 12:16 pm

t0 wrote:
I agree with her. Poor quality video games definately make me violent. They make me want to kill the people that made them.

Ditto!

Free-Hinter-System
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2010, 12:52 pm

I can say something about this well-known and boring topic. It doesn't cause violence in anyone that did not have the predisposition towards it. But it can inspire violent individuals to undertake violent acts. Now I am tempted to start the thread on whether or not video games can be art. :)

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 1:04 pm

Look at the sales numbers of all violent games, then look at the number of real life violent incidents which have been actually proven (not just speculated by the media, but PROVEN) to have been linked to said games.

'Nuff said.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 1:05 pm

I am peaceful in real life. Not so much in UT3.

HEADSHOT HEADSHOT DOUBLE KILL HEADSHOT MULTIKILL HEADSHOT HEADSHOT KILLING SPREE

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 1:22 pm

Believe it or not, 7 years ago there was huge media controversy surrounding Manhunt after 14-year old Stephen Pakeerah was murdered by his best friend Warren LeBlanc, who was 17 years old. LeBlanc was obsessed with the game, and he pleaded guilty in court and was sentenced to life. This led to most retail chains across the UK removing the game from store shelves.

Ive played violent games such as Mortal Kombat, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and The Punisher, and im perfectly normal. Mortal Kombat was a great stress reliever when i had many a bad day at college, while the Punisher was basically a torture game for comic-book fans, and a great one at that as well.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 1:23 pm

I find that when I start getting edgy and angry, I can just pop Grand Theft Auto San Andreas into the old XBox, go be a psychopathic criminal for a while, and the urge to commit violence on the real people around me dwindles...

...at least, it worked that way until my son, who is 4 and probably ADHD, broke the old XBox and ruined the disc. Now I have to use GTA IV on the 360 for that, and since the programmers wanted to make the violence more realistic and less consequence-free, it's not nearly as satisfying.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 1:27 pm

I am one of many people that realize between the Virtual World and the Real World.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 1:33 pm

LexingtonDeville wrote:
Believe it or not, 7 years ago there was huge media controversy surrounding Manhunt after 14-year old Stephen Pakeerah was murdered by his best friend Warren LeBlanc, who was 17 years old. LeBlanc was obsessed with the game, and he pleaded guilty in court and was sentenced to life. This led to most retail chains across the UK removing the game from store shelves.

Pretty stupid considering how the connection to the game was merely media scare-mongering.

LexingtonDeville wrote:
a great stress reliever when i had many a bad day at college

This is a good point, actually - games can give you a safe outlet for anger.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 1:43 pm

imbatshitcrazy wrote:
I was having an argument with my mother because she claims that violent video games in real life and tried to take away my xbox 360. i certainly don't agree with her. what are your opinions?

:o

What a stupid cow!! ! :x

Did you beat her up? :lol:

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 1:53 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
imbatshitcrazy wrote:

:o

What a stupid cow!! ! :x

Did you beat her up? :lol:

No, I'm pretty sure he pulled out an AK47 and shot her before stealing her car and running a bunch of police over... :lol:

alex
Developer
Developer

19 Sep 2010, 2:49 pm

No link whatsoever

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 2:53 pm

alex wrote:
No link whatsoever

im sorry alex, i don't understand what you mean

Last edited by imbatshitcrazy on 19 Sep 2010, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 3:05 pm

I view videogames as an outlet for violent aggressions. I can beat the s**t out of anything in a videogames without any real life consequences. :D

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 3:12 pm

Violent video games can cause certain personalities to become violent. Its the same with movies and music, some will be drawn to the dark side. Its been happening for years and it will keep on going long after we are gone.