Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 23,687
Location: Pacific Northwest

19 Sep 2010, 12:06 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 9051801162

According to this article, my husband and I are not poor. But we do pay for our own laundry because we don't have a washer and dryer in the unit.

So if we didn't have a car anymore, would we be considered more poor? What about if it's in the shop? (which it is now) Are we more poor for now? :lol:



number5
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jun 2009
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,691
Location: sunny philadelphia

19 Sep 2010, 1:25 pm

Money trickles up, not down. The cycle of poverty is tremendously hard to break and it's sucking in more and more Americans everyday. The working man and the poor man are becoming one in the same as the middle class continues to vanish.



Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jun 2010
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,732
Location: Bradenton, Florida

19 Sep 2010, 1:57 pm

I'm agreeing with the second poster. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer that's how the world works.


_________________
"Some ideals are worth dying for"
==tOGoWPO==


marshall
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,000
Location: Turkey

19 Sep 2010, 2:12 pm

There's no simple way to determine poverty. Someone living and working in the inner city might have a bigger income than someone living and working in a small town, but the cost of living will probably be less for the person living in the small town. Therefore people living in the city will be squeezed more and will feel more poor even though they make more money.



League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 23,687
Location: Pacific Northwest

19 Sep 2010, 3:13 pm

I think society takes advantage of poor people because it's how they make their money. They don't care if they are poor or not so they don't even give them a break or even a discount on bills. Same as banks, they don't even offer free checking to the poor even if they have a zero balance in there. Plus laundrymatts, they don't even offer free service to the poor. Then there are stores and they don't even offer no interest till 2012 like they say on TV or in their ads to the poor. It only applies to people who have good credit history, not none or not enough. So while the rich get to pay little every month for what they got with credit, the poor are forced to pay the whole thing up front when they get it.

So in some cases my husband and I are poor. We cannot get things like "No interest till 2012" or buy things pay low as $27 a month for a new laptop. And car dealers who say pay low as $129 a month, that only applies to people with good credit and we don't have enough so we be forced to pay more a month and we can't afford it.

People don't care about the poor and if they struggle to pay their rent and bills or get around town. They still charge them more and don't give them credit where they can pay it off every month like the rich can even though they had it in their advertisement.



Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,258

19 Sep 2010, 3:18 pm

Pistonhead wrote:
I'm agreeing with the second poster. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer that's how the world works.


Nope. Thats just working class acceptance through bullying and submissive behaviour by the nasty rich and government.

Anyone can succeed if they put their mind to it



Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 322

19 Sep 2010, 3:44 pm

Well when this planet burns in flames of atomic hellfire and it's the end of the world (finally) there will be no difference between poor and rich. We'll all be DEAD!



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,049
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

19 Sep 2010, 8:04 pm

Am I the only person here who is sick and tired of hearing about how it's wrong to tax "our most productive citizens?" By saying that the wealthy are the best of us because of those among them create jobs, the opposite of this notion is that we without a lot of money and material possessions must be of less worth.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer



xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,571

19 Sep 2010, 10:29 pm

Money making is not a function of production. What do hedge fund managers produce? I mean bank robbers must be productive, they make money all the time they launch a successful stick up!



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 88,849
Location: the island of defective toy santas

19 Sep 2010, 11:29 pm

Craig28 wrote:
Pistonhead wrote:
I'm agreeing with the second poster. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer that's how the world works.


Nope. Thats just working class acceptance through bullying and submissive behaviour by the nasty rich and government.

Anyone can succeed if they put their mind to it


please spare me the horatio alger.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 88,849
Location: the island of defective toy santas

19 Sep 2010, 11:30 pm

Aspiewriter wrote:
Well when this planet burns in flames of atomic hellfire and it's the end of the world (finally) there will be no difference between poor and rich. We'll all be DEAD!


and the poor sufferin' earth will finally be rid of the human infestation. 8)



Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2006
Age: 71
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,051

20 Sep 2010, 1:57 am

Of course the poor pay more.

You buy a car and pay it off at a high interest rate. The rich guy leases his Mercedes and charges it to the company before tax.

A rich man buys high quality clothes which will last longer than the cheap suits that you can afford to buy.

A rich man dines at the best restaurants and pays for it on his company credit card.

You buy cheap furniture and pay it off. The rich man buys expensive antiques which will be worth MORE in ten years than they are now.



Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,258

20 Sep 2010, 1:00 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Craig28 wrote:
Pistonhead wrote:
I'm agreeing with the second poster. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer that's how the world works.


Nope. Thats just working class acceptance through bullying and submissive behaviour by the nasty rich and government.

Anyone can succeed if they put their mind to it


please spare me the horatio alger.


I found my path, its high time people found theirs. I come from the UK and its a major problem here with the rich and poor issues. I have stuck 2 fingers up at those that want to keep people like me down, they can go spin and troll the rich, for a change.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 88,849
Location: the island of defective toy santas

21 Sep 2010, 12:20 am

Craig28 wrote:
I found my path, its high time people found theirs. I come from the UK and its a major problem here with the rich and poor issues. I have stuck 2 fingers up at those that want to keep people like me down, they can go spin and troll the rich, for a change.


i never tried to keep you down. if you have sufficient abilities, more power to you :!: but when you say ANYBODY can be successful if only they just wanted it enough, that is just cruel as well as being patently contrary to the reality of legions of struggling folk out there. it is the same mean-spirited "let them eat tax cuts!" stuff that republicans in america like to force-feed folks they consider to be their inferiors.



ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 83
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,726
Location: New Jersey

21 Sep 2010, 1:04 am

xenon13 wrote:
Money making is not a function of production. What do hedge fund managers produce? I mean bank robbers must be productive, they make money all the time they launch a successful stick up!


There are two senses in which the phrase "making money" is used.

1. Becoming rich by creating wealth -- new products, new ideas, new services
2. Acquiring money by whatever means. This ranges from an honest profit producing stuff to robbing banks.

ruveyn