Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 11:15 am

Alphawolf wrote:
Rich People = Cash Checks at their bank or other financial institution for free.
Poor People = Cash their checks at a Check Cashing Place for a HUGE Fee1

Rich People = Buy their TV's, appliances and furniture outright or on low interest credit terms.
Poor People = Buy their TV's, appliances and furniture from rent to own or other expensive low quality sellers.

Rich People = Own their home or live in upscale apartment communities full of amenities in safe neighborhoods.
Poor People = Rent or sleep doubled up ina room or on a sofa or as a room mate in unhealthy surroundings.

Rich People = Can go see a doctor for preventove care that often catches disease before it causes issues.
Poor People = Must neglect their health until a medical condition is so serious it prevents them from working.

Rich People = Have jobs that give them 401K plans, paid holidays, and long paid vacations every year.
Poor People = Often are not paid, docked or even lose their jobs if they are absent or late just once.

Rich People = Go to posh job or charity related events that feature free lunch just for attending.
Poor People = It is against the law to feed homeless people in some cities.

Rich People = Go to a city park, sit down and eat food as a group and it is called a picnic which is lawful.
Poor People = Go to a city park, sit down and eat food as a group and it is called urban camping which is illgeal.

Rich People = It is against the law to feed homeless people in some cities.
Poor People = Most of us on this site can share food with each other in these same cities and it is perfectly legal.

Rich People = Are welcome to linger over dinner when out.
Poor People = Are rushed to finish their food and go IF they are allowed to sit down and eat their meal at all

Rich People = Choose to buy 1 pair of $90 well made boots that last 5 winters.
Poor People = Must Buy 1 pair of cheaply made $20.00 boots that a month, the poor spend $60 per winter, $300 in five years.

Rich People = Buy their food when the prices are not artificially inflated by demand from people with food stamps.
Poor People = Must Buy food at highest prices because; they ran out of food at home they can't shop price.

Rich People = Don't worry about paying the basic bills for things needed to survive because money is there.
Poor People = Have to worry about everything which takes a toll on their health overtime.

So yes in so many ways the poor pay FAR MORE IN BLOOD AND TREASURE THAN ANYONE WHO IS RICH, WELL OFF OR EVEN JUST COMFORTABLE LIKE ME!

I do agree with your general point. Many poor people are poor simply because they make bad decisions. I have done volunteer work to try to help people who are poor and I see them spending money on unnecessary items, or getting upset one day at work and walking out on their job, and other things like that. Personally, I have never had a job in which I made a lot of money, but I still have money because I make good decisions and always save a little money from each paycheck.

Alphawolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2016, 12:02 pm

Your point is also essentially correct. I did not always have this great job. I lived on SSI and SSDI in a section 8 apartment for 17 years. During that time I had great credit. I even had two major credit cards. I always made good financial decisions and saved a portion of my money for emergencies. I did not do drugs, I did not drink to excess and I did not have children. I lived pretty good on that little bit of money back then.

I did not buy the best cuts of meat. I staggered my shopping so I could buy when things were cheaper. I shopped when it was raining \ snowing because stores mark down prices to generate foot traffic in bad weather. Poor people too often make bad decisions and act on inpulse. I'm not perfect I screwed up a few times but I learned from most of my mistakes.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 12:05 pm

The rich (and too many of the poor) forget their French Revolution.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 3:44 pm

Aspiewriter wrote:
Well when this planet burns in flames of atomic hellfire and it's the end of the world (finally) there will be no difference between poor and rich. We'll all be DEAD!

Assuming that some people do make it, you will have what are called polities. -- nascent govts.

They tell us to learn history, so we don't repeat it.

But, all social problems have been universal, throughout time.

Each empire has rediscovered the same, basic solutions.

So, every high culture has the same, basic institutions.