Page 4 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

ben10scotland
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Dec 2010, 10:15 am

What form of Inositol do people take [eg what is the full name on the ingredients list] and the dose? Does your child experience any side effects from its usage either?

Some forms may need monitoring of the blood to check that the supplement is not affecting the liver, send me a PM or message on here regarding the exact form - Original poster

I found the point about magnesium interesting - reduction caused by stress. About calcium, you don't want to be taking it in the long term without your doctors supervision and it is best taken with vitamin D to avoid problems in the long term. [Calcium can cause calcification of the arteries and is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular events, such as heart attack [http://health.msn.com/health-topics/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100261690]

It may be worthwhile mentioning to the Doctor if someone is taking a particularly high dose of some supplements- where did you hear that Autistics should take a higher dose of Cod liver oil etc? The problem is that these fish supplements usually have the fat soluble vitamins as well and these can be toxic if you take greater than the recommended daily allowance[RDA]. In addition the use of vitamins and supplements which exceeds the RDA may be associated with toxicity [vitamin C is toxic for instance in very high dosages]

I am interested to find out where some of the information posted here comes from such as the suggestion that some supplements may be detrimental to ADHD patients and the source which suggested use of Inositol in autism. I conduct research into autism causes and treatments so this would be helpful to know.

I will soon be registered as a pharmacist [chemist], I don't know if most pharmacists would know a lot about Inositol - the best thing to do is to let your childs doctor know whenever you visit them next.

ben10scotland

31 Dec 2010, 10:40 am

Synonymous means it has the same or similar meaning but are interachangable
phytate and phytic acid are not identical - phytate is the name when phytic acid combines to form a salt

phytic acid/phytate is inositol hexaphosphate (IP6) and this is known as an ester which means that the acid is combined with an alcohol [inositol is technically an alcohol as it has an OH grouping, without the adjacent carbonyl (C=O) of a carboxylic acid group]

Phytate binds to calcium and magnesium, preventing their absorption and hence compounds containing these elements may exist in supplement form.

I know Chemistry pretty well and had to carefully study that to understand it fully- you shouldn't be arguing on here or trying to put each other down.

If you have used Inositol send me a PM on here, I'd be really interested to hear if you found it was effective, what dose you used and what was the full name on the ingredients list.

If you found that Inositol hexaphosphate or phytate benefitted you or your child I would be very interested to hear from you. [or any other supplement]