Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 1:47 am

I'm not one of those individuals who has some vendetta against psychology or psychiatry for that matter. I've met some great psychologists and psychiatrists who were very knowledgeable and went out of their way to find the proper treatment for their patients.

I've met psychologists who will refer their patients to psychiatrists if they feel medication is appropriate. And I've men psychiatrists who won't medicate when they feel it's inappropriate, and I've even seen some psychiatrists who utilize modern diagnostic tests in their practice or enlist the help of neurologists when they feel appropriate.

But on occasion I've also come across a particularly stupid breed of psychologist and I can't help but to wonder how anyone so deluded can practice psychology.

You might know the type. They cling to outdated and inaccurate theories of mental illness, reject sound scientific evidence of neurobiological basis for these illnesses and disorders, and they insist psychiatry is a scam driven by pharmaceutical companies.

If neurologists weren't around they'd try to insist epilepsy was due to repressed parental anger or something like that.

Seriously, what is wrong with these people?

Invader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2010, 2:34 am

Chronos wrote:
I'm not one of those individuals who has some vendetta against psychology or psychiatry for that matter. I've met some great psychologists and psychiatrists who were very knowledgeable and went out of their way to find the proper treatment for their patients.

I've met psychologists who will refer their patients to psychiatrists if they feel medication is appropriate. And I've men psychiatrists who won't medicate when they feel it's inappropriate, and I've even seen some psychiatrists who utilize modern diagnostic tests in their practice or enlist the help of neurologists when they feel appropriate.

But on occasion I've also come across a particularly stupid breed of psychologist and I can't help but to wonder how anyone so deluded can practice psychology.

You might know the type. They cling to outdated and inaccurate theories of mental illness, reject sound scientific evidence of neurobiological basis for these illnesses and disorders, and they insist psychiatry is a scam driven by pharmaceutical companies.

If neurologists weren't around they'd try to insist epilepsy was due to repressed parental anger or something like that.

Seriously, what is wrong with these people?

There are people who think, and there are people who use the thoughts of others to fake it.

You can get through school without being intelligent. All you have to do is mimic what you're told to mimic. There's no need to understand.

Unfortunately, in the educational system, there are also people who mimic rather than thinking, and they in turn allow the introduction of educational material written by authors who are similarly unthinking, and are in turn writing books full of mimicry from even more unthinking sources.

While a few thinkers do get through the system successfully, and become qualified, they are generally powerless to condemn the mimics in order to have their useless presence and work removed from the system and curriculum, the thinkers are unsuccessful since the people who mimic are more appealing and influential than those who disagree and argue, in the same way that you're more likely to take the word of someone like you than someone who disagrees with you.

Long story short, the stupid people in this world outnumber those with active minds. It's only natural that many of the supposedly intellectual roles will be filled with people from the vast numbers of fools, when you consider that some of those same fools decide who gets the jobs. Like begets like!

ladyrain
Toucan
Toucan

20 Sep 2010, 6:45 pm

Invader, I totally agree with you. Very well said.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 11:30 am

ladyrain wrote:
Invader, I totally agree with you. Very well said.

---

Agree with ladyrain.