yes 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
i dont really care 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
not at all 65%  65%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 26

betamaxx
Raven
Raven

21 Sep 2010, 6:06 am

i hate being told to smile while having a photograph taken of me if i dont want to smile why should i have to

necroluciferia
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Sep 2010, 6:15 am

I hate being told to smile full stop. Why should I smile when I don't feel like smiling? Photographs are no exception to this rule, and besides when I smile in photos I think I look fake.

waves5
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Sep 2010, 6:56 am

Yeah, its uber fake. That is why candid photos are best. Like the fingernails on a chalk board as a child when my mother would tell me to say words or smile.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 8:11 am

I just hate being photographed unless I'm fooling around wit my webcam. :wink:

necroluciferia
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Sep 2010, 8:15 am

I discard most photographs of me unless I am at exactly the right angle, and I like to look really moody in my pictures. I typically hate my facial expressions in pictures.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 10:53 am

It doesn't work for me and this is one of the reasons why I don't photograph well. I can't fake expression well.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 10:58 am

Fake smiles often look crap anyway. I hate photos being taken of me period.

betamaxx
Raven
Raven

22 Sep 2010, 3:44 am

Fake smiles often look crap anyway. I hate photos being taken of me period.

i agree

jpfudgeworth
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2010, 10:02 am

My face often looks really stupid when I have to pose for a picture. Fake smiles are awful.

cnidocyte
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2010, 1:00 pm

I can't put on fake smiles. I hope I can do it better this year cuz on my college ID card last year I looked like I had down syndrome. Everyone thinks I'm doing this intentionally but why the hell would I intentionally f**k my college ID card up like that.

Invader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2010, 1:21 pm

I think the whole smiling thing comes down to the fact that people prefer people who smile, over people who don't.

Sure, I agree that it's stupid to do something like that just for other people, if they don't like our expression then that's their problem, but I think that kind of encouragement to smile is actually to benefit ourselves, not for other people. What I mean is, if people don't like your expression, it's not just their problem, it's your problem too. If more people think you're pleasant, it makes your life easier, and if they think the opposite... Well... It makes your life just that extra bit harder.

So yeah, I think when people give us the advice to "smile!" it's more for our sake, than it is for the sake of others. I think NTs know about this kind of stuff without even having to think about it, and the idea seems so complicated to us that we would never think they were giving that advice for any reason other than to "tell us what to do", when really they're actually just trying to help with something that's so obvious to them, and we're just getting the wrong idea.