Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 4:04 pm

^^Yaye greetings everyone.

I am very sorry to bother you all and thank you very much for reading.

I am currently studying a happy four year long Mathematics course are University and shall be very soon beginning my third year. Pixies have helped me very much and advised me to pusue software development/programming as a career when I have completed my happy course.

However, I am very sorry as I possess no experience in jobs for this. I have only worked for my lovely sister's Market Research within the past. Within these little jobs, I believe I have been blessed with data entry and also little tasks, for instance printing and writing my thoughts upon some data concerning possible correlations.

I am also currently attempting to learn C++ programming language.

^^ May I please ask everyone, what may you advise for me in the near future to attempt to prepare for a happy job when I have completed University? I am sorry if this is silly of me and to bother you all.

Bordersquirrel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Sep 2010, 7:17 am

The best advice I can give you is to, you know, do it! Get a copy of "The C Programming Language" by Kernaghan and Ritchie and work though it, do all the exercises and make notes. Choose an open-source tool you use (or find one that interests you) and get hold of the source code, read through it and try to work out what it does and why.

Employers will want to know that you can look at a problem, find a solution and implement it, so try doing that. Write some useful (or even useless!) tools and stick them on your web page. Make sure you're aware of important concepts like Design Patterns. Learn about useful algorithms like different types of sort and implement them in a couple of different languages. Make sure you keep all your source code that you write.

Get an account on Stack Overflow and become and active contributor...this will teach you a lot about how coding is done in businesses and the types of problems you will face.

Erm...I'd also be tempted to get a basic understanding of related things like Databases, Web Design and Computer Hardware. Learn a bit about operating systems, maybe play with some device drivers and similar low-level code.

Finally, if you can get some part-time work (even if it's unpaid) developing websites (especially interactive stuff) or doing QA for software or even contributing to an open-source project, that will stand out more on your CV than pretty much anything else.

Good luck!

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 1:18 pm

^^Wow, yaye, thank you very much indeed for you advice Bordersquirrel. I believe I shall certainly attempt to follow that which you have suggested.

I have very recently been attempting to learn C++ programming language from www.learncpp.com and this is very fun. I have reached section 5.3. ^^ Yaye, also I believe that I have created for a very happy and simple calculator that may be used within the Win32 Console. am not very skilled however.