Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 5:19 pm

I don't really play 1st person shooters. However I'll play anything but them. People tell me that I'm not a real gamer all because I don't play 1st person shooters. Is it true that if you don't play 1st person shooters your not a real gamer?

Talis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2010, 6:30 pm

In reality, not playing first person shooters makes you none less a gamer. Someone who wouldn't be a gamer would be my step cousin. He gets the newest consoles and stuff but never plays them. He's on my PSN friends list and it says he's been offline for four months... and he has internet connection and he's only 14 so the excuse that he's busy makes me laugh.

Anyway I don't believe FPS games even remotely define the gaming genre anyway. I play very few because they are generally so simplistic I lose interest and most aren't very challenging aside from having broken programming like the infinite enemy spawning of Call of Duty on veteran mode while having no real cover system (sorry but just like the hundred or so times you die playing in the game on vet... you would in real life as well if you couldn't friggin crouch behind something) and whatnot. I also consider playing online on shooters frivolous and to require next to no skill but much luck. Aside from Battlefield Bad company 2, I don't play any online because the lag is generally unbearable on old games like Modern Warfare. I'm not saying it takes no talent to survive a firefight so please don't get me wrong, but many factors are luck in online shooter like... hey the game just spawned me in front of a mobile tank or on top of a grenade or hey... my teammate just want's to kill me... etc. Haha just don't friggin blame me for my damn 1.0 K/D ratio.

I don't play shooters much at all. I usually play action rpg's or action games or anything I can find a good story in or a good challenge. Honestly as long as you enjoy playing games for some reason and play on a regular basis... you're a gamer. I think people today are too lost in the new in all actuality (I heard somewhere that there were games before fps). They probably don't like playing anything other than shooters, so since they think they are the epitome of the world... they probably think it's weird that you don't play them. Also many people say shooters are the hardest genre so maybe that's where they are coming from. LMAO... shooters may be up there but action games are the hardest by far. Also in theory I believe shooters are very simple minded games... so "MANY" people love them.

If you ask me, someone who strictly plays fps games is actually much less a gamer than what you described yourself. In being a gamer... diversity is strength anyway :)

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 6:50 pm

I say a gamer is someone who plays games and enjoys them, it doesn't matter what kind.

I enjoy many differ genres like MMOs, Survival Horror, RPGs, and Strategy. I don't play that many FPSes due to the player base being a little bit smug or their not really all the interesting most of the time.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 7:04 pm

Talis wrote:
In reality, not playing first person shooters makes you none less a gamer. Someone who wouldn't be a gamer would be my step cousin. He gets the newest consoles and stuff but never plays them. He's on my PSN friends list and it says he's been offline for four months... and he has internet connection and he's only 14 so the excuse that he's busy makes me laugh.

Anyway I don't believe FPS games even remotely define the gaming genre anyway. I play very few because they are generally so simplistic I lose interest and most aren't very challenging aside from having broken programming like the infinite enemy spawning of Call of Duty on veteran mode while having no real cover system (sorry but just like the hundred or so times you die playing in the game on vet... you would in real life as well if you couldn't friggin crouch behind something) and whatnot. I also consider playing online on shooters frivolous and to require next to no skill but much luck. Aside from Battlefield Bad company 2, I don't play any online because the lag is generally unbearable on old games like Modern Warfare. I'm not saying it takes no talent to survive a firefight so please don't get me wrong, but many factors are luck in online shooter like... hey the game just spawned me in front of a mobile tank or on top of a grenade or hey... my teammate just want's to kill me... etc. Haha just don't friggin blame me for my damn 1.0 K/D ratio.

I don't play shooters much at all. I usually play action rpg's or action games or anything I can find a good story in or a good challenge. Honestly as long as you enjoy playing games for some reason and play on a regular basis... you're a gamer. I think people today are too lost in the new in all actuality (I heard somewhere that there were games before fps). They probably don't like playing anything other than shooters, so since they think they are the epitome of the world... they probably think it's weird that you don't play them. Also many people say shooters are the hardest genre so maybe that's where they are coming from. LMAO... shooters may be up there but action games are the hardest by far. Also in theory I believe shooters are very simple minded games... so "MANY" people love them.

If you ask me, someone who strictly plays fps games is actually much less a gamer than what you described yourself. In being a gamer... diversity is strength anyway :)

Thank you. I started playing at 5 years old. My dad bought me a pink gameboy color and gave me alot of his GB games like Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, Megaman 3, etc.. so that's how I got into it. I'm 17 now so that's a long time that I have been enjoying games. I play them because I like them, not to be all "I have an XBOX 360 so I'm cooler than you!" Once again thanks. :D

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 7:20 pm

It's sort of like a Venn diagram, it's not that you have to be an FPS player to be a hardcore gamer, but I'd say that a greater percentage of hardcore gamers tend to play FPS games, especially when you're talking online play. I'm not counting MMORPG players in the "hardcore" category, they're sort of off in their own little niche (I say that as a former WOW addict).

Talis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2010, 7:31 pm

Ebonwinter wrote:
I don't play that many FPSes due to the player base being a little bit smug or their not really all the interesting most of the time.

I agree with you there. I probably would actually play more online games like some fps's if the community didn't usually consist of obnoxious wheezing 10 year old boys on the mic singing female pop songs while crinkling bags of chips all the while hunting me down to constantly annoy me... all though that doesn't seem to be just 10 year olds anymore. Whenever I play online I have to mute alot of people >_< I also cannot stand people with egos so I don't play on voice chat while playing shooters like BFBC2. Sadly I think most people are smug (smug is a kind way to put it) online in general if they aren't trying to be obnoxious. It's very rare to run into a good sport now days that just wants to have fun. I don't know maybe it's the games I play online but every one I play I have to mute people and even add certain people to my blocked list occasionally.

Fizzgiz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2010, 10:01 pm

I don't allow my 7 year old to play anything above rated E-10+, but he plays EVERYTHING else, and he has to have every system, and plays them ALL every day. I would certainly consider him to be a gamer, and the employees at the game stores consider him to be hard core. :D

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 10:12 pm

People act like FPSes are everything, and they are idiots :/

If they want a real challenge, they should either play the Shin MEgami Tensei Games, OR Nippon IChi games, for RPGs....

or you can introduce them to Tohou or DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu Black Label Hibachi. Lets just say the second is bullet hell taken beyond its logical extreme XD

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 10:19 pm

I'll admit on WoW I can be smug if I'm doing really good or if someone is being unbelievably ignorant of things they should know by the time they reach max level.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 10:31 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I don't really play 1st person shooters. However I'll play anything but them. People tell me that I'm not a real gamer all because I don't play 1st person shooters. Is it true that if you don't play 1st person shooters your not a real gamer?

Occasionally I'd have some free time and would log on to play a multi-gamer war game. It was fun. I was ok at it. Occasionally I'd come across someone with something like 10,000 head shots and I'd think to myself "Wow, that person really doesn't have a life."

"Real gamer" = No life.

In my opinion anyway. With the exception of those who manage to profit off it of somehow.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 10:47 pm

Chronos wrote:

Occasionally I'd have some free time and would log on to play a multi-gamer war game. It was fun. I was ok at it. Occasionally I'd come across someone with something like 10,000 head shots and I'd think to myself "Wow, that person really doesn't have a life."

"Real gamer" = No life.

In my opinion anyway. With the exception of those who manage to profit off it of somehow.

I used to profit off of fighting game tournaments, Namely The old street fighter games SNES era, Super smash bros series, and Soul Calibur series. Ive recently dipped into blazblue for the past half year or so.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Phipe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Sep 2010, 12:00 am

Keeping the earlier statements in mind, one can conclude that FPS is nothing but a genre. The one that is most popular at the time being. If you play a different game, kudos to you, for not following the maintream of un-educated nuts.

I am not saying that FPS is based entirely of idiots, but those who "are", does indeed manage to make their remarks heard. Seriously, Original Poster, Screw those people you wrote about.

Stonecold
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 2:47 pm

Just because you don't play FPS doesn't mean you aren't a hardcore gamer.

Hardcore gamer is a widely used term applied to describe a type of video game player. There is currently no unanimously agreed upon definition for the term. Some describe hardcore gamers as those whose leisure time is largely devoted to playing video games. This type of gamer prefers to take significant time and practice on games, in contrast to a casual gamer. Many hardcore gamers pride themselves on mastering the rules or use of a game, although this is not a strict requirement. Conflicting opinion argues that it is not so much the time spent on games however, as casual gamers can spend hundreds of hours on games without ever mastering them. Competition is another defining characteristic of hardcore gamers, who often compete in organized tournaments, leagues, or ranked play integrated into the game proper. In this light, professional gamers can be seen as an extreme example of hardcore gaming.

FPS are just one type of hardcore games. There are many other games that are for serious gamers. As long as you don't play Nintendogs, you can still be a hardcore gamer! ;)

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 2:55 pm

Stonecold wrote:
Just because you don't play FPS doesn't mean you aren't a hardcore gamer.

Hardcore gamer is a widely used term applied to describe a type of video game player. There is currently no unanimously agreed upon definition for the term. Some describe hardcore gamers as those whose leisure time is largely devoted to playing video games. This type of gamer prefers to take significant time and practice on games, in contrast to a casual gamer. Many hardcore gamers pride themselves on mastering the rules or use of a game, although this is not a strict requirement. Conflicting opinion argues that it is not so much the time spent on games however, as casual gamers can spend hundreds of hours on games without ever mastering them. Competition is another defining characteristic of hardcore gamers, who often compete in organized tournaments, leagues, or ranked play integrated into the game proper. In this light, professional gamers can be seen as an extreme example of hardcore gaming.

FPS are just one type of hardcore games. There are many other games that are for serious gamers. As long as you don't play Nintendogs, you can still be a hardcore gamer! ;)

Thanks mister stonecold! I like nintendogs but I'd take Tekken and Bioshock over nintendog anyday.

PS: does your username relate to stone cold steve austin? Sorry that's off topic but I'm a wrestling geek. :oops:

Stonecold
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 3:32 pm

Does your username relate to Stonecold Steve Austin? Sorry that's off topic but I'm a wrestling geek. :oops:

Everyone thinks that. This is how I got my nickname. I was playing my favorite Nintendo DS game (called Mario Kart DS) online. At that time, my nickname in my game was "I > U". I'm awesome at that game, so most people who race me (Mario Kart DS is a racing game) quit out. I had to search for more players online after the previous person quit. The two people who decided to race me online were named "Stormdead" and "Stonecold". After I defeated them, I though to myself "Hey, I'm never going to race Stonecold again (it's a big world out there and too many people are racing online), so (s)he would never know it if I changed my name to Stonecold!" I decided to change my name to Stonecold. So I decided to have the nickname "Stonecold" on every forum that I'm on so that I don't forget my nickname. This extended to Wrong Planet. So that's how I got my nickname.

My nickname has nothing to do with "Stonecold" Steve Austin. I didn't even know he existed when I chose (or rather stole) my nickname.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 11:09 pm

You could spend all your time playing Farmville and still be considered a gamer. A casual gamer, but still a gamer. With all the genres out there, it makes absolutely no sense for someone to say you're not a gamer if you don't play fps games. I really just think it's the typical gamer mentality. A hardcore RPGer might say that FPS fanboys are idiots, while a Madden fan might call them all nerds.