Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 6:23 pm

At first, he seemed like my type: friendly, intellectual... but then the essays came. I tend to be fairly subjective and personal when in comes to essay writing; you could call them pure gonzo works. But the college-prep English teacher in question requires that I be totally objective, speaking in plain fact. Today, he assigned me to write an expository essay on the use of archetypes in Native American mythology. He seems to take delight in micromanaging me and his students, and unleashed a verbal equivalent of Hiroshima towards me over my existentialist views in front of the class, subtlely claiming that I was out of touch with the alleged mores espoused by literature. Sheesh.

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 7:16 pm

Try playing by his rules when you write the essay, you learn things when you step outside of yourself. It can be a difficult thing to do but it won't hurt. He does sound like espouses some dogmatic views about literature and that's not cool, but just show him that you can be more open minded than him.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 8:55 pm

My Grade 9 English teacher was the same way. She tried little excersises with us, before each class and she graded us very harshly. One day, she was reading out our percentages for our first term, before the first report cards came out. Mine was the second lowest, at 48%. I hated her and myself, for the rest of the year.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 10:27 pm

Giftorcurse wrote:
At first, he seemed like my type: friendly, intellectual... but then the essays came. I tend to be fairly subjective and personal when in comes to essay writing; you could call them pure gonzo works. But the college-prep English teacher in question requires that I be totally objective, speaking in plain fact. Today, he assigned me to write an expository essay on the use of archetypes in Native American mythology. He seems to take delight in micromanaging me and his students, and unleashed a verbal equivalent of Hiroshima towards me over my existentialist views in front of the class, subtlely claiming that I was out of touch with the alleged mores espoused by literature. Sheesh.

Did you not know? 95% of English teachers are d!cks. This is because they pursued some type of advanced degree in, English, of all things, and discovered that not only do they not need it unless they want to teach, but the only thing they can do with it is...teach, and 95% of them don't really want to teach.

About 70% of that 95% didn't know what they wanted to do with their life, and thought everything else was "too hard"and the other 30% wanted to become successful writers...and didn't.

SO they tend to be quite bitter and cheer themselves up by marking everyone's papers up with red ink.

The other 5% are great though. They wanted to teach and they love their students. You should check out ratemyprofessor.net or whatever before you choose an English teacher.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

25 Sep 2010, 1:48 am

I had an evil english teacher. I have a need for un-timed testing because the stress of keeping up with time while taking the test causes me to test very poorly and it was in my IEP that I have un-timed testing, but the english professor would hound me after she thought I written enough and would time me anyway. Then she went to all my other english teachers I had after her and made them break my IEP rules. Finally after she came in on a test I was taking for another class and demanded that I stop that time was up...I threw a chair at her and screamed at her to leave me alone. News got back to my special needs coordnator that I did that. He asked why I threw a chair at her and I told her what she was doing. She did get in trouble for that and after he called my mom about it, my mom went to dean. After that, she was no longer the chair of the english dept the next year 8)

But the worst teacher I had was an art teacher
His name was Mr, Kalmason...evil evil man
He would talk about how good we were doing on our work and suggest that we change this or that, but would not make a fuss about it. Then slap me with a C or even a D.
I broke my hand over that man. I punched an air matress thinking it was fully inflated, and it was not, and I hit the concrete floor below. That hurt. Why did I do that, because I studied for days for a test covering the important stuff and the madman did not test on any of that, just trivial nonsense that meant nothing. I hated that man with a passion.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 8:20 am

I didn't like my 9th grade english teacher at first. He was too hard. Nobody would understand him and his tests were hard to understand because of how fast he taught. It turns out he was disciplining us for 10th grade. And by the end of the class, most people who hated him really liked him. All our grades got better. Now, we feel prepared for english 10! Unfortunately, he retired.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 3:36 pm

Essays are not supposed to be subjective. By definition they are not. As soon as you insert your own opinions or perspectives, it ceases to be an essay and becomes an editorial.

Attacking you in front of the class tough, is inexcusable BULLYING behavior. He should have spoken to you calmly and privately, NOT in front of the class.

If I were you, I would ask for a brief audience with your principle to explain what he did and how it made you feel.

That is NOT the kind of behavior that promotes a healthy environment in school for anyone. Go over his head and let him be taken down a notch or two.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

25 Sep 2010, 6:29 pm

agreed. you could also sneak in a recorder for proof next time he does it. Schools will usually believe the teachers over the students unless you have proof