Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

chtucker18
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2010, 9:29 pm

I think people in the autism spectrum should train in self defense. We are a easy target.

dryad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2010, 6:43 am

I think the term 'easy target' is subjective, but I wouldn't argue that self-defense training could be a good way to develop our motor skills. In either case, it isn't a bad idea!

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Sep 2010, 12:18 pm

I think everyone should have a defense of one form or another, and personally I believe in keeping firearms in the house in case of violent intrusion. However, if you do, you must be 100% familiar and in good practice in handling of guns, or they could easily be grabbed away from you. In my case, I've avoided getting into fights or having to use an force to defend myself, by being submissive, or fast with words, or whatever the situation calls for. I'm also an amateur bodybuilder, and look like I could snap a robber or mugger in half. That helps, I guess, but on the other hand, bullies love to challenge quiet "nice guys" who are built well, as it makes them look better to take down the big buff guy. So it's a double-edged sword as far as whether or not to "look" like you are a tough guy.

Charles

Werecrocodile
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Sep 2010, 8:27 am

No, violence isn't the answer unless all humans are eradicated.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Sep 2010, 11:49 am

Werecrocodile wrote:
No, violence isn't the answer unless all humans are eradicated.

In an ideal world I agree 100%... And violence should always the last resort. But better know what to do if violence is used on us, rather than be undefended at all.

Charles

Werecrocodile
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Sep 2010, 11:59 am

Perhaps has anyone thought to turn the cheek?

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 1:18 pm

chtucker18 wrote:
I think people in the autism spectrum should train in self defense. We are a easy target.

I think it might be beneficial to learn to run very fast too LOL. The problem with self defense class is that it may be too much for some autistics as there is touching, yelling, etc that may be overwhelming. I know some here on the site are into martial arts so it isn't true of everyone, of course.

I have taken self defense classes, but not recently. Right now I just do cardio kickbox- not really self defense, but I figure if I stay in shape at least I can move faster if someone tries something- get my tazer out a little quicker and step aside quicker as they fall over, maybe.

spudgun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Oct 2010, 9:33 am

Self-defence is good for anybody not just so you learn to stick up for yourself but also it helps you socialy and to make new friends wich have something in common.

I learned to box from 14 onwards because I was getting bullied and still become a target today, but what boxing has taught me is self disciplin and when to and when not to fight back. As for turning the other cheek or ignoring it this is only half decent if you are not bothered by the remarks or physical beatings, but it has to be said even for the hardiest of people thi9s can take its toll and all would snap under such pressure aswell as suicidal thoughts etc.

I would never believe turning the cheek is a good thing I did thios for years before I learned to defend my self and my life was hell. when I learned to stick up for myself and fight back I never got bullied again, only now the random person from work who doesn't know me will try to dominate them but a quick offer of a fight with them and getting in their face with some bravado and often FALSE bravado is a good thing as I still get nervouse when confronted especialy when their is a few of them, but boxing taught me one thing and so did my family and thats stand your ground because no matter what they arwe still going to try and put you out.

soulecho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Oct 2010, 11:20 am

Werecrocodile wrote:

If you turn the other cheek, you usually wind up with two black eyes, instead of one.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2010, 4:51 am

Werecrocodile wrote:

the problem with that is after 4 [or so] one runs out of cheeks to turn. there are many more slapping hands than cheeks. one is eventually cornered, and at that point one has nowhere to go but through the bullies.