Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

morrison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Sep 2010, 8:33 am

May I ask what you use? Do you use hormonal or non hormonal ?invasive or univasve?

I personally use NFP at the moment. I used a gynefix before (copper frameless IUD) I think NFP is great to learn more about your bod and to know how it relates to your mood an all.
I never trusted artificial hormones because I don't know what they will be doing to my mood and all, and because they are polluting the drinking water anyway.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 8:47 am

I mostly use my personality. Effective birth control, right there.

In all seriousness, I'm sterilized. When I was still fertile, I used whatever method was most fitting to my practices/partner. If I knew I could plan ahead of time, then diaphragm. If I couldn't, then the Pill. I'm older than you, so there were a lot of things not available to me either because of the time or because I live in the United States (Depo wasn't available for a long time, for example). When I was in college, it was 1) the Pill, 2) diaphragm with foam/jelly, 3) condoms. You could get an IUD if you begged your gyn, but most were frightened by the lawsuits of the 70's and refused to put one in a woman who hadn't had her planned children yet.

I don't recognize the methods you named, but I'd be just as worried about putting that much copper metal into my body as I would be about artificial hormones. And not all hormonal methods are "artificial," some are more bio-identical than others.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 9:01 pm

I find my poor skills at making prolonged superficial small talk, combined with my general stand-offishness and lack of interest in most people, to be very effective. Perhaps a little too effective....

Back when I was actually getting sex, though, I was fond of low-dose oral contraceptives, though I have also used condoms and the diaphragm. The diaphragm I found to be immensely unpleasant, and condoms have exactly the pros and cons you would expect (I always feel sorry for guys being stuck with those things). The pill is great because it also makes your periods shorter and less painful, and gives you the ability to skip your period entirely if you so choose. I tried the diaphragm out of a desire not to pump myself full of artificial hormones, but in the end decided I prefer said hormones.

I'm not sure what an NFP is.

Ahh, I miss having this as a concern in my life. :?