i paint rocks, i like paint and rocks.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

AspieDacia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2010, 2:17 am

what canvass is expensive. i mostly like to paint the smooth round river rocks. i cant pass rock beds if i want to get where i am going on time. they are all over the place. what a messsss.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2010, 4:04 am

Do you just paint the top surface of the rock, what's accessible to your brush when it's sitting on a table, or do you paint round the whole thing ( waiting till one side is dry before doing the rest so don't smudge stuff? ) ? What kind of paint do you use? have you got any photos of rocks you've painted? It sounds fun; I can understand the urge to collect beautiful stones, but I tend to love the natural surface so much I wouldn't want to paint it. Wood too. Unless just painted small parts of a stone, like a garnish/highlight/decoration leaving lots of the original texture untouched.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 5:04 am

I like the simplicity of your statement.

I like rocks and paint too, but have never combined the two. Perhaps I should.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 5:47 pm

The Missus did this for awhile, painting rocks to look like bunnies or birds. I painted a couple to look like Volkswagens.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 8:26 pm

I like this idea. But what do you do with the rocks once you've painted them? I could see myself ending up with an apartment lined entirely in rocks. Which is something I once considered doing with tiny pumpkins, but that would be expensive. Plus, organic material inevitably decomposes. Maybe I could paint rocks to look like pumpkins. But I digress.

AspieDacia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Sep 2010, 5:19 am

i usually paint just one surface if it is a cleaved stone perhaps encorporate the shape of the rock into the composition. usually they are very simple actually its a rule of mine about painting them is i leave the vast majority unpainted. i will paint anything from landscapes to single words truth was a popular one. i think because of the style of the writing.
i can totally post some rad rock pics lol.
i am a very simple girl. i cant really keep anything back if i dont talk i cant let out all the "stuff" and i mean rannnddooommm to urgently desturbing "stuff" i do have quiet moments and have to remind myself to not interrupt people. ha. if i didnt talk i think i would explode. figuratively of course... :)
i give them away to people. sometimes just people on the street or sometimes i make them personalized or with someone in mind i paint them with acrylic paints just like if you use a canvass then spray paint them with a clear enamel i like the glossy kind because i love shiney thinggggsss but the sell like... satin finish? i prefer shiney i have pictures of both tho. one has a raccoon foot print on it well i painted it there. their are small rocks too because i want people to be able to put them in their pocket and not have it be a pain in the ass. literally so there are rounded and smooth bout the size of a marble to a ping pong only flatter... some i pick because they sit up nicely or look like a shape ie house square triangle i even found one that looks like a mans profile. they are usualy more geometeric. not pocket rocks more like nic nack shelf or dash board rocks. i have seen them living both places :)
thats why i love theeemmmm you can paint anything on those things, IF you have a small enough brush :D aahhhhhhhhaha.
im a huge dork.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 6:55 am

AspieDacia wrote:
i give them away to people. sometimes just people on the street or sometimes i make them personalized or with someone in mind

I think I would be delighted if I received a prettily-painted rock from a random stranger.

Stellar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 1:57 am

Would you be up for posting pictures of some of your painted rocks sometime? :)

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 5:17 am

I'd paint faces on them. Pet rocks should have faces.