Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

SwampOwl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2013, 10:22 am

alimay wrote:
I would LOVE to go mushroom picking, but feel that I would have to do it as part of an organised outing, because I'm not confident enough about which mushrooms are safe to eat. I've heard it's easy to learn to differentiate between the dangerous types, so as long as you know which ones not to risk, you're safe. Although I've also heard that poisonous mushrooms can contaminate safe ones if you put them in the same basket, so it's not just a matter of picking all the mushrooms you see and picking through them later. I'm not sure if that's actually true though.

For the most part in the UK, foraging seems to be the province of relatively wealthy foodies (i.e. not the poor). I keep meaning to make nettle soup or elderflower cordial each summer, but never quite get around to it. I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for a decent blackberry patch this autumn though.

I keep meaning to make dandelion wine, but I never seem to be able to pick them in time. I have never had nettle soup but have wanted to try it.

Froya
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 12:03 pm

I have picked one kilogram of chanterelle today. Now I just have to clean them, blanch them and freeze in fit portions, that's a veeeery boring job. But they taste delicious, for example with steak, red wine sauce and oven baked potatoes.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 2:43 pm

When I was a kid we would go camping and my mom would sometimes go and pick wild mushrooms in a nearby field. I was worried they might be poisonous, but since we didn't get sick or die after eating them I guess they were fine.

I would never pick wild mushrooms. I have no clue if they're safe. But I used to pick plenty of wild berries as a kid. Strawberries, blackberries, blueberries... there were lots of them growing out in the country.

Froya
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 3:46 pm

No, I don't recommend anyone to pick mushrooms if they don't have any experience! They should definitely take a course or something.

Yes I can imagine there is a lot of wild berries in Canada, if you live in the right place! I sometimes pick wild berries such as blueberries, strawberries and raspberries. I usually just mash them, add sugar and put it on a slice of bread.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 11:11 pm

Froya wrote:
No, I don't recommend anyone to pick mushrooms if they don't have any experience! They should definitely take a course or something.

This, most mushrooms will make you trip balls and die.

Don't pick mushrooms, thats a horrible idea. There are very few that are edible and even fewer that are edible without some type of preparation to make them safe. Also the kind that gets you high has arsenic in it, you can do mushrooms once and that'll arsenic will stay in you forever and if you do it again it could kill you as its a cumulative poison.

Midnightstar16
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 10:17 am

Ahh! I love mushrooms, even the ones you cant eat! I collect them and keep them outside, I even have a mario mushroom dress! Alright, They may be just plants but they are so cute!!

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 11:30 am

Magic mushrooms do grow in the uk at certain times but if you don't know what you're looking for you could get into serious trouble eating something else, I've picked all kinds of mushrooms cause they intrigue me and I always adored super mario world.